Quantcast
Avenson STO-2, Why do you like them? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Avenson STO-2, Why do you like them?
Old 16th June 2006
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Avenson STO-2, Why do you like them?

I have seen in other threads that people seem to really like these mics over more expensive mics, particularly as overheads. Yet nobody has really explained why they like them, I would like to know. Also what mics that you perfer them over and for what applications? I am looking for good overhead and acoustic mics that are reasonably affordable. Some other possibilities are the Josephson C42's & AT4047's. Also if there are in other mics I should consider under $1000(for the pair), please let me know.
Old 16th June 2006
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
well i havent got the avensons although i would love a pair, but i just bought a pair of $20 omni's from ebay and i literally cannot believe how good they sound, clear, crisp true representation of source, so my logic says that there has to be a quality jump between a $40 dollar pair and a $500 pair so they must sound ace... dunno if they'd tear me away from my r-88 though

neil
Old 16th June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I like the Avensons because:

a) They sound extremely natural and realistic
b) They're cheap

On paper they are slightly on the noisy side but in practice with a decent pre-amp this ain't as problem for me, and noticeably quieter mics (DPA, Earthworks etc) cost 4x as much. For drum overheads it's not even an issue.

But really, if you're looking for some good quality omnis you can't go wrong at $500 for a matched pair! thumbsup
Old 17th June 2006
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the replies, any other suggestions on good overhead mics?
Old 11th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Did you ever end up hearing them illiummusic?
Old 13th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Hey Kronos, no I never heard them. I ended up buying a used pair of AKG c460b's
from a guy on here for a really good price. I'm sure I will pick a pair up at some
point though.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I've got a pair. They're a really sweet sounding, non hyped omni. Self noise is actuall fairly high though so they aren'y any good for quieter sources at a distance. Apart from that they can hang with the best.

Have used them for OH duty and they're good but I prefer cardiode condensors or ribbons.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
One thing that's great about the Avensons for overheads is that you can put them really close to cymbals without them falling apart (sonically). I rarely use mine for overheads, simply because I have a lot of stuff that I like, but every once in a while, they're really the right thing. I use them all the time for upright or spinet piano, dull-sounding guitar amps, ambient mics, and various other things. they're very neutral-sounding mics, but it seems like there's always something peasant about them for some hard-to-explain reason. This isn't always the case with super-neutral mics like B&Ks or Earthworks.

I'll also say that Brad Avenson is an extremely nice guy and very easy to deal with. He's knowledgeable and enthusiastic and he's always thinking about simple solutions to common problems. He also knows how to recommend a good restaurant if you're visiting Austin.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
πŸ“ Reply