Quantcast
is a behr***er patch bay going to degrade my sound - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
is a behr***er patch bay going to degrade my sound
Old 16th June 2006
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years

im about to patch up my pre's, comps. interfaces but the only patch bay i have is the classic behringer beuaty... is this an issue? also is regular mic cable (klotz) ok for making the patch leads with?
Old 16th June 2006
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheltersoton
im about to patch up my pre's, comps. interfaces but the only patch bay i have is the classic behringer beuaty... is this an issue? also is regular mic cable (klotz) ok for making the patch leads with?
I wouldn't use one of their older ones...the newer PX3000 with the balanced plugs and metal case, etc...it's not too bad...

...and BTW, this is coming from a guy with quite a bit of Behringer Gear! heh
Old 16th June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
is a behr***er patch bay going to degrade my sound ?
No.
Deleted User
If it's a balanced patchbay, it will be fine... no degradation at all. Don't know about reliability though... Some patchbays the tines on the jacks don't grip the connector very much, and can lose contact.

Mic cable will be fine, but depending on how many patches you throw, it could get quite thick, and make it hard to see labels. Also, if it's a TT patchbay, they might be too thick of cable to fit in the connectors. 1/4 you should be fine
Old 16th June 2006
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Well, ones a behr***er patchbay degraded my mental health.
After a fairly light use tracks got the habit of disappearing and there were times that I noticed this only after printing the finale mixdown.

since then I bought 4 ADC patchbay on evilbay and these works great and cost nothing.

I just bought another one, $75 for 96 point long frame, cost like a deadringer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Not if your sound already sucks!

I'm kidding of course. Frankly, I wouldn't risk it. Even sport for a Re'an or something like that for a few more bucks. At least then you'll be able to sleep at night instead of worring whether your patchbay is degrading your sound.

Regards.
I use a PX3000 with klotz cable... sounds fine... no discernable difference from a straight wire.

you pay more in neutrik TRS connectors this way but if a patchbay blows up you can swap out another in about 15 mins... i consider them disposable... but so far (after about a year) i've had no problems.

now watch i blow something up today....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i know it's silly but it does not look that good with a behringer patch. The neutrik nys-spp-l is better looking (black, with neutrik logo), same price.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I would of thought that the higher-end techs would mind the make, people go for Neutrik cos of their quality connections so assuming the same applies for patchbays as well as other hardware.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i noticed massive signal degredation on using Behringer patchbays. wouldnt touch another if you paid me. you guys that think they are ok are deaf.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga
i noticed massive signal degredation on using Behringer patchbays. wouldnt touch another if you paid me. you guys that think they are ok are deaf.
hahahahaha

dont hold back
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by philip
i know it's silly but it does not look that good with a behringer patch. The neutrik nys-spp-l is better looking (black, with neutrik logo), same price.
Are these the ones with the gray and black jack holes ?
If so : don't buy these.
I did, and they are horrible. I don't know how they managed, but these patchbay have contact errors all the time (wrong metal/coating on the contacts ?).
I threw them away. I bought a samson Spatch (balanced) and that works fine and is also cheap.

Hans
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Only if you run audio through it.

:-)

Seriously- the issue is reliability, rather than the quality of the contact.
I've still got a behringer patchbay from way back- I use it to quick patch guitar pedals in the studio and it is fine, to a point.

But I wouldn't buy one again- the Neutrik 1/4 inch bays are cheap as hell and much more reliable than the behringer bays.

That said, I bought 4 x 96 way switchcraft TT bays for 200 euro.
They were pretty much unused- soldering took weeks to do but now I can route any output to any input, the studio is normalled and still have loads of spare sockets for expansion.

Go for a second hand tt bay- you won't regret it.

JR
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
One more thing- don't put mic inputs on a 1/4inch or TT patchbay.
If you forget to turn off phantom when patching you can blow the pre's input stage.
You can built an XLR patchpanel for spare change.

JR
Old 16th June 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Funny story about this very thing. A buddy of mine put together his studio with two Behringer patchbays. When he first fired everything up, we couldn't figure out why he was getting low output from everything, particularly his monitors. Everything was going through the bay to avoid having to crawl behind the desk and patch cables that way. So anyway, just for a goof, he said "what would happen if we just hard wired the monitors?" I said "that's crazy! it's just a patchbay!" Despite this, we tried it anyway. Almost blew my buddy's monitors out, it was so loud! The next day, he went out and got a couple Neutrik bays and later changed over to TT bays. The Behringer bays he got on clearance for $30 a piece went directly in the trash.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilver
they are horrible. (snip) I bought a samson Spatch (balanced) and that works fine and is also cheap.

Wow. I'm speechless.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
This might sound like a stupid question but," how can a patch-bay be of bad quality, if it's just solder joints and jacks? I mean even Behringer should be able to do this without " copying" somebody...!....................heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have one and it's a piece of sh*t. I've noticed that you can record silence and see noise if you zoom in enough on the waveform...

It's Behringer though, what can you expect?
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
There are many ways a patchbay can be of poor quality. First of all, the low priced bays are made of the cheapest materials known to man, which is part of the reason they can sell them at such low prices. Cheap material equals bad contacts throughout, and parts that will bend, break, and cause intermittance. Secondly, the cheaper bays utilize PC boards for there channel wiring. They are not hard-wired connections. Will they work? Yes, they will. But the more you use them, the crappier and problem ridden they will become. There is a big difference in quality when it comes to patchbays. You get what you pay for in this case.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_delizza
I have one and it's a piece of sh*t. I've noticed that you can record silence and see noise if you zoom in enough on the waveform...

Hahaha........that was actually very funny.

Tell me how you accomplish recording silence....where do you find a space with so low residual noise that nithing shows up when you zoom in ?

Oh, I see, you didnΒ΄t assign an input to your DAW recording track.

lol

WT
Old 17th June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezero
There are many ways a patchbay can be of poor quality. First of all, the low priced bays are made of the cheapest materials known to man, which is part of the reason they can sell them at such low prices. Cheap material equals bad contacts throughout, and parts that will bend, break, and cause intermittance. Secondly, the cheaper bays utilize PC boards for there channel wiring. They are not hard-wired connections. Will they work? Yes, they will. But the more you use them, the crappier and problem ridden they will become. There is a big difference in quality when it comes to patchbays. You get what you pay for in this case.
Hummmm..... this makes sense. Thanks...!....
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I bought a ber####ger patch bay, and for some reason it cut my signal in half every time I patched something through it. I ended up going with a rean.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Mine works fine. <shrug>
Kush Audio

🎧 15 years
once you've taken the time to solder up custom canare cabling for every connect in your room, you'll understand the reluctance to interrupt every line with a pc board and jack brought to you courtesy of the behr.

tt... only way to fly! and a lot more classy to patch things in than those hamfisted, trΓ©s plebian 1/4" trs wires .

someday i will construct a 100% point to point bay, possibly with nos telefunken tubes glowing warmly thru a little window.

gregoire
del
ubk
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilver
Are these the ones with the gray and black jack holes ?
If so : don't buy these.
I did, and they are horrible. I don't know how they managed, but these patchbay have contact errors all the time (wrong metal/coating on the contacts ?).
I threw them away. I bought a samson Spatch (balanced) and that works fine and is also cheap.

Hans
I agree...those are TOTAL CRAP!

I have several I'll trade to ANYONE for the new PX3000 Berries!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveterm
Hahaha........that was actually very funny.

Tell me how you accomplish recording silence....where do you find a space with so low residual noise that nithing shows up when you zoom in ?
I think you are thinking that I used a microphone, with which it would be impossible to capture silence. (especially in my noisy apartment!) heh

I noticed it while bouncing down individual tracks from one of my external sound modules. I had the outputs from the synth to the patchbay, and patched into my line inputs. When there were parts where the synth was not playing you could still see stuff being recorded. I tried removing the patch bay from the signal chain, and, what do you know! No more noise!

It is a very small amount and it hasn't been enough for me to replace my patchbay (although I will soon probably), but still, I'm sure you wouldn't have this problem with a Neutrik patchbay...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
someday i will construct a 100% point to point bay, possibly with nos telefunken tubes glowing warmly thru a little window.
Let me know when you do! heh heh heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_delizza
I think you are thinking that I used a microphone, with which it would be impossible to capture silence. (especially in my noisy apartment!) heh

I noticed it while bouncing down individual tracks from one of my external sound modules. I had the outputs from the synth to the patchbay, and patched into my line inputs. When there were parts where the synth was not playing you could still see stuff being recorded. I tried removing the patch bay from the signal chain, and, what do you know! No more noise!

It is a very small amount and it hasn't been enough for me to replace my patchbay (although I will soon probably), but still, I'm sure you wouldn't have this problem with a Neutrik patchbay...
It could be the patch cables you were using also.
Try normalling the connections.

I find the issue with behringer patchbays is not really any difference in audio quality, but rather the reliability of the unit.

James
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I can assure you that it has nothing to do with the cables. Even if it is normalled down the noise is still there.

Hey, you get what you pay for, right?....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labs
Mustve done something horribly wrong with the wiring...

Gustav
When he dropped the Neutrik bays in (with the exact same wiring), there was no longer a problem.

-Aaron
πŸ“ Reply