The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Holy Cow -- Classic API of IL (CAPI) VP28-DBL
Old 6th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
CAPI vs GAP 73

drbill Please pm me re: used lunchbox happy to discuss. I am not in a rush.

Also, obviously, CAPI has the diy option but in terms od final product sonically do people prefer CAPI's to stock or modded GAP 73 ?

I'll check those other references. I have built other kits and find that very attractive.

Kcat
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcatthedog ➑️
drbill Please pm me re: used lunchbox happy to discuss. I am not in a rush.

Also, obviously, CAPI has the diy option but in terms od final product sonically do people prefer CAPI's to stock or modded GAP 73 ?

Will do. Need to get into storage to find the original packaging.

As for preferences...what time is it? Apples or Oranges for lunch. Depends on what you feel like I'd guess...
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Vp28 all in price?

@gouge

Thx , ah how do you get to the $300 mark for the vp28's , depending on op amp ?

I have trouble understanding site as the kits are new to me : thx !

Kcat
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
@gouge

Thx , ah how do you get to the $300 mark for the vp28's , depending on op amp ?

I have trouble understanding site as the kits are new to me : thx !

Kcat
Solution to CAPI nirvana....

vp28 full kit. $275.
Classic Audio Products of Illinois

Then scroll down to the op amp options :

Add 2 op amps 2550 and 1731 either in kit form or pre-built (they're more advanced so I'd personally suggest pre-built unless you're very handy with an iron) $35 or $120 or other options.....

Add something to rack and power them like a used lunchbox : $300-350 ish.

and you're ready to start in....
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
2 Vp28's and chassis all in around a grand

Thx drBill,

So basically a grand for 2 vp28's , with pre built op amps , a used LB and dyi the rest !

Obviously they are very good and cheaper than actual API gear but a grand is a grand !

Kcat
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thx drBill,

So basically a grand for 2 vp28's , with pre built op amps , a used LB and dyi the rest !

Obviously they are very good and cheaper than actual API gear but a grand is a grand !

Kcat

You also have to remember that you will have room for 4 more modules as well. Not to mention that the vp28's are actually like 2 modules in 1 - vp26 + missing link. A bargain by anyone's definition...... At least that's my opinion.
Old 7th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Capi value Proposition vs priorities

I am not in away questioning or casting doubt on the capi value proposition. Right now it may not be my priority.

I have an apollo without the tbolt card and an imac also with no tbolt and i am having some processing problems so getting a new tbolt computer and card is easily a 1500 + out of pocket decision that is a bit more pressing.

I was really interested in 2 pres like the capi for stereo recording dropping a grand on that option is less of a priority.

But i like everything i have learned here so will keep thinking about it.

Kcat
Old 7th November 2012
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Some interesting stuff. If I can afford to get back into the game here at some point, I may well go this (DIY rack and modules) route.
Old 14th November 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity8058 ➑️
I'd been aware of Jeff Steiger for a number of years. Mostly as that guy that is so obsessed that he cut his vintage API console in half to get it into his basement studio, then stripped it down to the cards and rebuilt it-?!?!!

More recently a few respected friends recommended his mic pres. After seeing pics, and wrapping my head around his design I got interested.

After auditioning a pair I ordered 4 of his gooyest, oozyest, glueyest, possible configuration-- the VP28-DBL.

Then I ordered 4 more-

Then after getting the picture of how this company operates -( Jeff offered to cut my console in half... :-). -- He's good, and more importantly to me: what he likes about API gear is what I like. Once we could discuss his various Op Amp options via reference to their gooeyness quotient -- I knew we were hearing eye to eye.

I also then ordered a pair of his new 10 space racks with an insanely well built and over engineered power supply.

I've been working with these preamps for a number of months now and I love them. They sound animated! You can get soooo many different tones out of them.

Ok, I can hear the responses already so I'll nip a few at the bud:

In comparison to the other API or API style mic pres, the VP28-DBLs are:

1. BAE 312 (Brent era): wider, warmer
2. BAE 312A: More 3D, not as pointy
3. API 512c: same as 2
4. 3124+: capable of the qualities I like in this Pre, but waaaay more versatile.
5. SH Gama: CAPI may not get as aggressive
6. SH Quad Gama: hard to beat this guy but, while different, Equally versatile.

AND.... With its HPF frequency and slope choices, Stepped pots and OUTPUT FADER! --- it's feature set are unmatched.

Applications? Lots, anything you want to sound warm and 3D. Even sounds good to run a mix through from time to time or on a stereo bus.

On drums-- Never heard a better Pre for kick, toms, and room. Maybe a 31105 (not to be confused with the relatively lame 33115).

Guitars? -- hell yeah! -- (unless you want your guitars to sound like The Fixx, in which case they would suck)

Conclusion:

Best Value in Microphone Preamp that EXISTS.

I'll try to attach a pic of them but I'm slammed - but I had to shot out props to by fellow Chicagoan Jeff -- damn dude, well done!

Are these as good as an actual API 312 or 512? If you can buy either does it make more sense to just get an API from API? When you say less pointy than API, is that a good thing? Basically do you like these more than API?

Some albums i really like were API, and i want to tap into that sound, will CAPI get me there or should i just get real APIs? No disrespect to CAPI, looks awesome. For me, if i want Neve i want Neve, not Vintech or Great River or anybody else. I want to own the real thing.
Old 14th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly_Rogers ➑️
For me, if i want Neve i want Neve, not Vintech or Great River or anybody else. I want to own the real thing.
Well then, buy API's. You'll have API in your rack, but you won't have the sound you hear on the old 70's API console records. If THAT'S what you want, then get the CAPI vp26/vp28's and Missing Links. Truer to the original console sound than current 512's. (FYI, Jeff Steiger, owner of CAPI has a vintage 70's API console, and has backwards engineered these modules to sound like his console. IMO, significantlyk closer then 512C's.)
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill ➑️
Well then, buy API's. You'll have API in your rack, but you won't have the sound you hear on the old 70's API console records. If THAT'S what you want, then get the CAPI vp26/vp28's and Missing Links. Truer to the original console sound than current 512's. (FYI, Jeff Steiger, owner of CAPI has a vintage 70's API console, and has backwards engineered these modules to sound like his console. IMO, significantlyk closer then 512C's.)
Oh, thank you. Yes i want the 70's API console sound. If indeed CAPI gives that sound and current API does not, then CAPI it is. I assume the 312 is even further from the 70s console than 512?

So, in your opinion, is CAPI the best option around for that 70's API sound?

Another question, is API's lunchbox the best option for a power source or is there something better, or is it all a non-issue?
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Oh, thank you. Yes i want the 70's API console sound. If indeed CAPI gives that sound and current API does not, then CAPI it is. I assume the 312 is even further from the 70s console than 512?
I think that may be a judgement call.

Quote:
So, in your opinion, is CAPI the best option around for that 70's API sound?
IMO, yes. The CAPI VP-26 into CAPI Missing Link GETS it. Equally wonderful IMO is the VP28. Both setups OOZE vintage API.

Quote:
Another question, is API's lunchbox the best option for a power source or is there something better, or is it all a non-issue?
IMO, clean, abundant power is ALWAYS an issue. So it's funny you should ask..... My new 500 racks and power supply>>>

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-...hangeover.html

BTW, as I mentioned earlier, Jeff @ CAPI has an old classic 70's console that he's used to help develop his pre's and EQ, but look what the mad scientist is up to now..... (I hope I not spilling any beans Jeff......) Designing his new CAPI expandable console!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Holy Cow -- Classic API of IL (CAPI) VP28-DBL-148527_550891134937273_872408395_n.jpg  
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Oh hell yes to that!!
Old 16th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I think that may be a judgement call.

IMO, yes. The CAPI VP-26 into CAPI Missing Link GETS it. Equally wonderful IMO is the VP28. Both setups OOZE vintage API.

IMO, clean, abundant power is ALWAYS an issue. So it's funny you should ask..... My new 500 racks and power supply>>>

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-...hangeover.html

BTW, as I mentioned earlier, Jeff @ CAPI has an old classic 70's console that he's used to help develop his pre's and EQ, but look what the mad scientist is up to now..... (I hope I not spilling any beans Jeff......) Designing his new CAPI expandable console!!!
That is a burly rig you have there, well done. Hey, what do you think of the Purple Audio stuff? Those were another consideration of mine.
Old 17th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
That little sidecar-- sweet!
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Would the VP28 have enough gain (60db) to push a Sm7b?
Old 4th December 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarplexus311 ➑️
Would the VP28 have enough gain (60db) to push a Sm7b?
I don't think there's a preamp made today that wont push an sm7?? I believe the vp28 has 72db of gain
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

How is the noise floor of these VP28's compared to the 512c? The reason I hesitate to try them and/or switch is because my API's are SO quiet when cranked.
Old 5th December 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
dr bill OH OH !! just when I thought my bank account was safe ! kcat

Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by YRLK ➑️
How is the noise floor of these VP28's compared to the 512c? The reason I hesitate to try them and/or switch is because my API's are SO quiet when cranked.
I don't have a 512 to compare with my VP28/26's/312, but I can assure you that noise will NOT be a problem if the module is assembled correctly.

The CAPI preamps are AMAZING all around! Jeff's customer service is top notch as well. I will be placing another order this week!

Please and THANK YOU!
-pfhuck
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Ordered a VP28 preamp. Wanted an API flavor pre with HPF. CAPI's was one of the only ones. Now to find a 1073 DIY with HPF....
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ordered a VP28 preamp. Wanted an API flavor pre with HPF. CAPI's was one of the only ones. Now to find a 1073 DIY with HPF....

For your 1073, I'd highly recommend the AML EZ1073's. Awesome! You can get them from Jeff or buy them in kit form from Colin's website...

Audio Maintenance Limited - Support Zone
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:

For your 1073, I'd highly recommend the AML EZ1073's. Awesome! You can get them from Jeff or buy them in kit form from Colin's website...

Audio Maintenance Limited - Support Zone
Thanks I looked into those. I'd still prefer a 500 series pre, but the price on those is pretty cool... hard to resist.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thanks I looked into those. I'd still prefer a 500 series pre, but the price on those is pretty cool... hard to resist.
They ARE available in 500 series. I've got two of em. Would love to have 4 someday,.....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
They ARE available in 500 series. I've got two of em. Would love to have 4 someday,.....
I want 4 as well. I have vp28's now and a pair of vp312 di's that I love and the Vp 26's as well. 4 of the AML's would be very nice!

I need more rack space!
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
I know they are... but not DIY
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I know they are... but not DIY
You might contact Colin @ his website. They used to be available DIY unless I'm loosing my mind..... [possibleheh]
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeurloo ➑️
I want 4 as well. I have vp28's now and a pair of vp312 di's that I love and the Vp 26's as well. 4 of the AML's would be very nice!

I need more rack space!
Dan - I have 22 spaces of 500 space completely filled now with Jeff's 51x rack kits. Planning on another 22...... Sure looks sweet.

I suspect the first two things in will be a pair of Splices.....
Old 6th December 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You might contact Colin @ his website. They used to be available DIY unless I'm loosing my mind..... [possibleheh]
Dr. Bill, your mind is officially lost.....again I contacted Colin a few weeks ago, very sadly, the 500 series is no longer a go in DIY format, i really wanted to build 2, instead of buy 1. Now i may do a pair of Don classics nv73's and Laz eqn 1073's, but the cost is close to buying 2 ez1073's pre built? Whats a boy to do??
Old 6th December 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Tony buy Colin's they are really great.
πŸ“ Reply