The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Holy Cow -- Classic API of IL (CAPI) VP28-DBL
Old 3rd November 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
CAPI and UA plugs

thx, just meant that the UA plug theme is recreating classic outboard gear so the CAPI/API voice fits in that environment !

I have a tlm 102 and some little blondies , on sound cloud there is a demo of the LB with API pres and they sound very nice together

So the DIY CAPIs are very interesting to me !

kcat
Old 3rd November 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Mmmmm. I want to get the Purple moiyn so I can mix through all 8. They all have 2520 on the input and 1731 on the output. I had 8 vp26's with red dots and really liked them, but I love the vp28's. They have even more oomph and the filters are great!

Holy Cow -- Classic API of IL (CAPI) VP28-DBL-uploadfromtaptalk1351958076241.jpg

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G
Old 3rd November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
You are on the right track then Kcatthedog. The CAPI sound is vintage for sure. If you need them built for you, I also recommend Custom Analog Services. James does great work.

Nice rig cowrange. I'll want to know how you like the Moiyn.
Old 3rd November 2012
Lives for gear

93 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
anyone want to trade two vp 28's for my 2 vp312's ?
i throw in some cash to make it right.
Old 3rd November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
@cappo thx , but I am pretty dexterous and cheap !! kcat

Old 4th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonewalters ➑️
Check out Custom Analog Services β€’ Classic API VP28 for fully assembled VP28s and other assembled Classic API gear.
Thanks for that. Gotta love gearslutz
Old 4th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you wanna hear electric guitars thru the VP28's, check out the new Rival Sons track. Dave Cobb has told me they used the VP28's for all gtr's, some vox, some drums and some bass across the new record.

Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcatthedog ➑️
Could people comment on the versitility of this pre for vox and acoustic guitar
I ABSOLUTELY, ABSOLUTELY, ABSO+LUTELY LOVE the vp26/28's on Ac Gt. Such a natural, warm, open sound. Not a shiny pop, HF oriented sound, but natural and BIG. Off the hook with ribbons for the same.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill ➑️
I ABSOLUTELY, ABSOLUTELY, ABSO+LUTELY LOVE the vp26/28's on Ac Gt. Such a natural, warm, open sound. Not a shiny pop, HF oriented sound, but natural and BIG. Off the hook with ribbons for the same.
From the enthusiastic comments people round here make, VP28's certainly sound like a great idea. At some stage I'd love to get at least a couple of them.
It's a bit of a long shot asking for comparison opinions, because I don't know how many people are familiar with them..........but I've always really liked the old Valley People Trans-amp pre's for a natural unhyped acoustic guitar sound. They always seem to sit nicely and naturally in this application as compared to my more colored preamps. I wonder by comparison what the Classic API preamps would be like?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Opamps

Quote:
Nice what opamps?
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➑️
welcome to the club Doug.
my 28's/1084's do all the heavy lifting lately.

to my ears the 28's are thicker/bigger.
great stuff!
I agree but the VP28's seem to have a bit more gain, which sometimes requires the use of a pad with a hot condenser. In that situation I would take the VP26 so as not to need a pad.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteiger ➑️
If you wanna hear electric guitars thru the VP28's, check out the new Rival Sons track. Dave Cobb has told me they used the VP28's for all gtr's, some vox, some drums and some bass across the new record.

Real good production there !
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Sounds great. I am on the fence as to wether to build some VP28s or some missing links. I already have 4 VP26s and feel that I have enough preamps without selling some. Plus the Missing Links could be used for other things.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
We're proud owners of both six VP26/red-dot and two VP312/gar2520... They sound amazing.

The VP26 is great for a tight punchy and warm sound - great for stacking tracks, they give a really nice warm and cohesive result. Acoustic guitars that have maybe too much of a floppy mid-range will sound much more controlled, detailed, and punchy but still very very warm.

The VP312 is very warm and open with a lot of depth. Love them on overheads as well as electric guitar cabs when you want them sounding big and fuzzy.

You can really drive both these preamps nicely. We plan on adding two VP28s to the fleet as well as getting VC528 (Missing Links) mounted in a Purple Sweet 10 with their Moiyn 8x2 500 series summing amp, which would effectively sum all 8 VC528s before it - we're hoping this would be a colourful way to do mixdowns when needed.

Also, has anyone tried their LC53A (Love Child) EQ? Classic Audio Products of Illinois
very curious about it but I rarely see them mentioned.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
@drbill

Quote:
Gee, drBill what are you trying to say ?

Si for just starting out with capi would you go with 2 26's, 28's. What about the stepped controls ?

Does he make a stereo pair ?

Thx!

Kcat
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Si for just starting out with capi would you go with 2 26's, 28's. What about the stepped controls ?

Thx!

Kcat
I believe anytime you are ordering multiples, he matches them but someone correct me if I'm wrong - just ask CAPI.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulOcchialini ➑️
I agree but the VP28's seem to have a bit more gain, which sometimes requires the use of a pad with a hot condenser. In that situation I would take the VP26 so as not to need a pad.
This is only the case if you consider the 2nd stage of the VP28. The first or preamp stage of the VP28 is identical to the entire VP26 circuit (up to the t-pad) so you should not notice a difference as far as a hot mic overloading the input requiring the input pad to be engaged. Both preamps should react the same to a "hot" mic signal.

I don't match the gainswitch or the fader R's. They are all 1% tol. I have built many using random unmatched 1% R's and they all track nearly perfectly with each other so no worries there. Less than .1dB dif at any setting.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Resonant Mind,

You will love the Missing Links. The 28's will do the same thing with their line in, I believe. I use the ML's on everything, as the last gain stage before conversion and need at least a couple more, but I will probably go with a pair of 28's.

The Love Child eq's are excellent and powerful. Easy and quick for tracking.

VP26 > LC53A > VC528 > got vibe
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Thx!

Kcat
Personally, I'd go for the 28's as I find them more versatile. Sonically you could also match vp26 with a missing link and get very close to a 28. That might be more versatile still. It's a personal choice. Whatever works for you.

I personally love the stepped controls. I know of no stereo pair configurations from Jeff, but he'd have to chime in on that. I have not had any issues using 2 random pre's of the same model from CAPI.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbo ➑️
Resonant Mind,

You will love the Missing Links. The 28's will do the same thing with their line in, I believe. I use the ML's on everything, as the last gain stage before conversion and need at least a couple more, but I will probably go with a pair of 28's.

The Love Child eq's are excellent and powerful. Easy and quick for tracking.

VP26 > LC53A > VC528 > got vibe
Thanks for the input Cabbo! I'm sure these are rhetorical questions but how are you finding the EQs is drum recording applications? Would be great to hear some of your sounds if you have a complete CAPI chain!
Old 5th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by emfrank72 ➑️
Sounds great. I am on the fence as to wether to build some VP28s or some missing links. I already have 4 VP26s and feel that I have enough preamps without selling some. Plus the Missing Links could be used for other things.
Go with the 28's, the 28's I believe are essentially similar to having Missing Links after a VP26.. ie it's a two-stage preamp. I also recommend getting some VP312s.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResonantMind ➑️
Thanks for the input Cabbo! I'm sure these are rhetorical questions but how are you finding the EQs is drum recording applications? Would be great to hear some of your sounds if you have a complete CAPI chain!
I've had them since March or so and have only recorded electric guitar, congas and other hand drums with them. Usually boosting the mids 2 dB for guitars and 2-4 dB @ 100 or 200 hz for congas while tracking. For bigger drums, boosts at 50 - 100 k can get huge without the circuit crapping out. I've been putting together a proper drumkit and room all summer and have just started recording it. I haven't patched in the eq's yet but I've got the VP26 > 528 on the overheads, a pair of Joly modded MK-021's. So far I like what I'm hearing and hadn't considered eqing the overheads. Just a kick mic and the overheads on the kit in a small but heavily treated room. I was actually surprised how good it sounded. After all, I'm just a noob with no professional aspirations...The VP 26's are giving me a very nice sound on toms. It has a liquid quality to it without sounding underwater. I'll throw the eq's in next time I track the drums. If I get something worthy of posting I'll see what I can do.
I'll apologize in advance if I don't get to it. I'm old school with an ancient internet connection.

But Seriously, I don't think you can go wrong with this chain if you are after a vintage sound. As dr. bill says, the VP 28's are more versatile, plus they take up less real estate in your 500 rack. But the 528's are cool too and have a bit more high and low pass filtering. They are also great on the mix buss as the last piece of outboard before conversion. They are fun to drive a hot compressed signal into while dialing back the fader, listening for the sweet spot that seems to show up just before saturation meltdown.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteiger ➑️

great vocals, it's like robert plant and Jeff Buckley all in one
Old 6th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Numbers and products

For a newbie are the capi products described on a one pager somewhere or just look around the website ?

528's are 3 band eq's like 1073's ?

Do the sl2520 's replace the std op amps and ad they are preassembled speed up build ? If you buy the partial kit do you just need the 2520 to replace the missing parts ?

The references to the lunchbox/chassis. I understand they house the units but can the units be used stand alone or does the lunchbox/chassis act as the power supply also ?

Sorry , find this so intriguing but i want to understand the whole deal. i don't find the site all that clear about this ?

Kcat

Kcat

Last edited by Kcatthedog; 6th November 2012 at 02:29 AM.. Reason: Add
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
For a newbie are the capi products described on a one pager somewhere or just look around the website ?
For me, a single phrase sums it up : API's for the digital world. More API than API if that's possible. Perhaps I should say, more "old school API".

Quote:
528's are 3 band eq's like 1073's ?
No. Completely different - although Jeff has an EQ as well - the LC53 "love child". The 528 - otherwise known as the "MISSING LINK" is the stage directly after the mic pre in a console - or actually, after the pre and EQ. As a bonus, it adds filters and a thickness that you just don't get from a pre alone. UNLESS it's a vp28 which is basically a vp26 AND a missing link. Kind of....

Quote:
Do the sl2520 's replace the std op amps and ad they are preassembled speed up build ?
There are no "standard" opamps as far as I know. It's your choice - assembled or in a kit. Red dot, Blue dot, 2520 kit/assembled, 1731 kit/assembled, etc. etc. etc. LOTS of choices.

Quote:
If you buy the partial kit do you just need the 2520 to replace the missing parts ?
Even with the full kit, you need an opamp.

Quote:
The references to the lunchbox/chassis. I understand they house the units but can the units be used stand alone or does the lunchbox/chassis act as the power supply also ?
The rack / lunchbox not only houses the units, house the i/o but also delivers power. So alone, a CAPI pre is just a bookend. You need SOMETHING to hold it, power it, and provide i/o. That said, I once had a jig setup with edge connectors going to a power1 powersupply and pigtails for i/o. Units were housed in a 4 space rack panel with cutouts. Worked like a charm.

Hope that helps somewhat....
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Analogue console chain

Hey drBill,

Thx btw my dad was a docter and his name was Bill, if your also gin drinker, that would be uncanny !

So i understand the recreates api and or better than api thing
I understand pres , eq's and missing links, its like building the signal flow through an actual console but in miniture, as in a few channels, but each stage adds to the sonic artifacts. Are the ML's like a transformer phase ?

So, a minimum purchase would be any one unit and a chassis so quickly up into the 4-500 range; really ?

Couldn't quite visualize your workaround but essentially a container and electrical connection to house and power the capi: right ?

I saw the group buy reference to the chassis. Initially i was thinking 2 28's are there less expensive chassis options or best to get a multi- bay as its likely only a question of time before one starts filling it up ?

Thx,

Kcat
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hey drBill,

Thx btw my dad was a docter and his name was Bill, if your also gin drinker, that would be uncanny !

So i understand the recreates api and or better than api thing
I understand pres , eq's and missing links, its like building the signal flow through an actual console but in miniture, as in a few channels, but each stage adds to the sonic artifacts. Are the ML's like a transformer phase ?

So, a minimum purchase would be any one unit and a chassis so quickly up into the 4-500 range; really ?

Couldn't quite visualize your workaround but essentially a container and electrical connection to house and power the capi: right ?

I saw the group buy reference to the chassis. Initially i was thinking 2 28's are there less expensive chassis options or best to get a multi- bay as its likely only a question of time before one starts filling it up ?

Thx,

Kcat
Kcat - the "dr" came from MD which came from being the Musical Director for several artists, and it stuck with the musicians I was working with so.... they all called me "doc" for years - and it stuck. But.....there's no REAL dr here.... heh

The missing links are transformer in and out, but so are the pre's. They also have opamps in them, so it all "adds up" to a thicker, more 3D style sound when used in conjunction. But they also sound great alone.

yes, the $$ can add up quickly. I'd suggest starting with a used lunchbox (6 spaces). They are abundant used as many people move up to larger racks. I'm actually selling one myself soon, as I've done just that - moved up to dual racks. But you will most likely find yourself adding an EQ here, a compressor there, another pre, etc.. They fill up before you know it. At least mine do....

I ended up with CAPI's 51X rack and power supply. Very cool and beefy, but not the least expensive way into a few modules.

If I could only have 2 CAPI modules, it would be 2 vp28's - so I think that's a good plan. Good luck with your search.

bp
Old 6th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
you'd be doing well to get a rack and unit for $400-$500.

the vp28 is a miniumum of $310 for the kit. then you need tools etc to build it with.

second hand racks for 2 slots are about $200-250 for the a-designs 500hr, the api lunchbox is $300-350 secondhand.

the benefit is you don't have to pay for the rack for each module you get.

there are diy options for power supply/racks.

obviously the 51x which will also accept 24v gear as well as the api 16v gear.

ij research sell a kit called rackit (i think it's called) that allows you to mount 500 series modules into a case.

jlm audio sell the power supplies to provide the power.

all up i agree with drbill that a secondhand lunchbox would be the best option.

i'm currently looking at racking up some channel strips from a console. it's not cheap. it'll cost me the price of a lunchbox easily.

have a look at the diy recording equipment website also.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfunny72 ➑️
Nice what opamps?
Missed that, sorry.

Red Dots in the vp26's, and 2520/1731's in the vp28's and missing links.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I got some of Steve Firlottes new VF600 op amps to try out
Put some on my console master buss
Wow.. more headroom and open sounding.
Big improvement over stock 2520's
Interesting to try in vp's
πŸ“ Reply