Quantcast
TT Patch Bay set up / advice - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TT Patch Bay set up / advice
Old 15th June 2006
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
TT Patch Bay set up / advice

How do I do this: 28 i/o converters + 20 i/o of outboard + 20 pre i/o +32 i/o summing and then some room for minor expansion to the outboard? Are there patchbay companies that set this all up and then ship them to you and you just connect them to the gear or must I get into some soldering no matter what?

What are my options?

I just don't know dik about setting up a tt bay and haven't done much soldering, but it's about time that I need the flexibility of a patchbay. Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There are companies that'll custom build them.
It ain't cheap!

I've built my own for so long that I have no idea what it costs.

If I wasn't so busy I'd do it for you.
I am out of town for the next month.

After that?

Danny Brown
Old 15th June 2006
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
There are some services out there that will do it for you. I think Markertek can do custom bays if you call them.

Its definitely expensive. I'm a wire (solder) monkey and my broker charges 1000 to solder a bay together then 50 an hour for install in the studio

Def gettting a good design and a good solder man is key. I have had to fix a lot of poor jobs too......

nn
Old 15th June 2006 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I see your from the Bay Area. I'll be out there doing a studio in San Fran in Sept if you need help...
jhg
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Not super cheap, but not ridiculous, and easy: Get harnesses made for your gear from Gepco, Redco, etc. terminating in E90, DL96, E3, DB25, etc. to mate with your bays(ADC, Audio Accessories, Bittree, Switchcraft, others offer this). Get 3 48x48 bays, one each for converters, summing, pres/outboard. That'll leave you plenty of room for future expansion. Have the unused channels/patchbay slots run with bare ends. With some bays, Bittree, Switchcraft come to mind quickest, you can switch between normalled/half normalled without rewiring, making future expansion easier.

What's the grounding situtation looking like?

My $0.02.

Regards,

jhg
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
punchblock bays are easier and cheaper (no solder) I think thats what he is refering to

ADC makes em
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Thanks for all the replies. To all the folks who offered to help, I will let you know when I'm totally ready to go. Monitor upgrade is coming first and that(and The Man) will sap my cash for the immediate future, but this is definitely something that will be happening in the next few months.

I've heard some negatives about the punchblocks as far as not being as reliable over the long-term or degrading the sound or something like that. Any truth to that?
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…