Berklee GS Alumni/Students? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Berklee GS Alumni/Students?
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Berklee GS Alumni/Students?

Hi all. Just curious (trying to network and all that), but have any GS members here graduated from Berklee, attended Berklee or at currently attending Berklee?

I'm done after this summer (graduated already however), and headed off into the world and would love to get to know some people that have already done so asides from the people I already know!
Old 14th June 2006
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
i went to berklee for a while, didn't dig it, find working to be much more furfilling, but i can't hide that i spent a year being cold in boston...crazy dough's is the ****, its too bad there isn't one in LA
Old 14th June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Under duress I have been known to confess that I graduated from Berklee in 1982 with a Bachelors of Music in Audio Recording. But don't tell my clients!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I graduated in '78 with a Bachelor of Music in Composition. I took all of the engineering and producing couses offered at the time, before they offered degrees in these subjects.

For engineering and producing, Berklee offers one thing that most schools don't: you have to be a musician. Like any other school, your education is what you make of it, and while at Berklee, you'd better be gigging outside of school and networking inside and out.

I find that the degree holds a little more weight outside Boston! And, yes, it snows in Boston.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Went for a year. Wasn't for me. Went to another music school after. Wasn't for me. Went to ANOTHER music school. Wasn't for me. By that point I figured school wasn't for me.

Ironically, I became a teacher for six years.
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I...um...kinda graduated from there...shshsh....I still live in Boston and want to keep working...don't wanna wreck my reputation...

I work as a drummer. The recording thing is new for me; a great place to spend all the money I don't earn because I'm a drummer...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Fear
...crazy dough's is the ****, its too bad there isn't one in LA
I used to live right above it!...mmm...the good old times...
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
potato bacon and chedder pizza changed my life, it was the best way to get through late nite mix sessions.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
yeah, i still know some cats who live above Crazy Dough.. the apt with the recording studio on 2nd flr, right?

gotta love the Reuben pizza. (if not then the potato!)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I went to Boston University, does that count? ;p

Kidding aside, the guy who now owns Quad studios in NYC is a relatively recent grad of Berklee in case you didn't know that one.

Other than that, I believe John Mayer and a few members of Dream Theatre attended class there for 1 semester before dropping out.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Late night slice of at Little Stevies, then a go at mortal combat.

Class of '96. Film Scoring. No duress here.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmacko
Other than that, I believe John Mayer and a few members of Dream Theatre attended class there for 1 semester before dropping out.
but believe it or not, ppl like John Mayer are still regarded as an alumni... read a Berklee magazine, you'll see "John Mayer '98" or something to the sort.

there are many that graduated from there. Quincy Jones, Diana Krall, Sheryl Crow, Jimmy Buffett, Pat Metheny (actually asked to teach there @ 19yr old), Melissa Ethridge, the list goes on.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChang

Class of '96. Film Scoring. No duress here.
Supreme's!!!

/Class of '90.

Quote:
I'm done after this summer (graduated already however), and headed off into the world
Best of luck!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
yeah, i still know some cats who live above Crazy Dough.. the apt with the recording studio on 2nd flr, right?
yup...actually my name is still listed on the door I think (apt 305)!...

Quote:
oh man...you were one of the brave ones I see...I never went near little Stevies...I always felt I was too young to...umm...you know...

Quote:
Supreme's!!!
Now you're talking!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
TC's Lounge!!
Class 96'
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6strings
Supreme's!!!
Loved Supreme's cheese steak. Or Far East's lunch special. You got to sit down in a "restaurant"... and were served free hot tea with your meal.

Hmmm. Why is it I only remember food? Damn you, booze!!!
Old 15th June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblotted
but believe it or not, ppl like John Mayer are still regarded as an alumni... read a Berklee magazine, you'll see "John Mayer '98" or something to the sort.

there are many that graduated from there. Quincy Jones, Diana Krall, Sheryl Crow, Jimmy Buffett, Pat Metheny (actually asked to teach there @ 19yr old), Melissa Ethridge, the list goes on.

I spoke with the head of alumni affairs there recently, and she told me that anyone who has attended a full semester is considered an alumni. I've seen some people distingush themselves by putting Berklee Graduate '89 instead of Berklee Alum '89
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Does anyone recall the Indian Buffet? ...I was there 6 times out of a week heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Little Steve's... heard some horror stories.

there's another Steve's on Newbury that has serves great Greek food, and imo house salad is all world.

food is mos def really one of the most memorable here. Oyster House, Legal, Porter Square, Umi... and they've finally got a Cold Stone here!

if only eating out's cheaper.. food vs. gear.. hmmmm...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joaquin
TC's Lounge!!

'01 BM Music Production/Engineering
Old 15th June 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Berklee '88 here. I had my turns at Little Stevie's back then. It's still repeating on me.

Ordering a sub at Supreme's was like being interrogated. A typical example:

me: small tukey sub, cheese, lettuce, please.
Supreme: MANNIS?!
me: no.
Supreme: TOSSTED?!
me: no.
Supreme: WHATTODRINK!?

Memories. Good times.

-O.9

🎧 15 years
I was bummed when the ragin' cajun Dixie Kitchen closed. I got lunch there a lot when the grease drip from Supreme's was a little too, um, generous. The quality of interns and assistants I get from Berklee is definitely above average, and the musicianship is often pretty good too. There are many successful alumni in the biz, and you should network like mad when you are a student there.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Speaking of bums.... When I lived on the street side bottom floor while going to Berklee for a year in 70, the bum population would camp out in the door lock area. Stepping over the congregation in the morning was always a great workout on the way to class.
They used to take my chilled food items pretty regularly from the windowsill. Now there's an education for ya..... Doo dat dee dat.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfrigo
I was bummed when the ragin' cajun Dixie Kitchen closed. I got lunch there a lot when the grease drip from Supreme's was a little too, um, generous. The quality of interns and assistants I get from Berklee is definitely above average, and the musicianship is often pretty good too. There are many successful alumni in the biz, and you should network like mad when you are a student there.
Dixie Kitchen was great... my personal weakness was Nan Ling (never quite sure what animal I was eating, but man, it tasted goooood).

Good times.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
first time i read a thread that makes me drool. my son's a freshman at berklee. does that count?
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornvalley
the bum population would camp out in the door lock area.
Speaking of which, I wonder if "James" is still at the corner of Newbury & Mass... "Hey, Guys... Guys! Nickel, quarter, dollar..."

He'd get an Au Bon Pain ham & cheese croissant when I could swing it.

Seems like a lifetime ago!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My production partner and good friend Chris Hobson,came to us via Berklee MPE program a couple years ago.
He's a talented AE/writer/producer and all around good guy.

http://web.mac.com/chrishobson/iWeb/...recording.html
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Under duress I have been known to confess that I graduated from Berklee in 1982 with a Bachelors of Music in Audio Recording. But don't tell my clients!
I graduated with a Bachelor in Composition also in 1982. Maybe we ran into each other, had the same classes. If I knew you, I probably just knew you as "Bob" with no last name as I wasn't hip to networking (as Jay Frigoletto wisely suggests).

I had a blast there. Got out of the dorms fast, and moved to an apartment on lower Beacon Hill. You could do that in those days before the real estate boom. (If you don't remember me, maybe you remember my room mates, Chris Landers and Ken Specker?)

I went back to visit about eight years ago. The place seemed to have deteriorated a little bit. One of the letters was missing from the Berklee sign in front. Inevitably, a Starbucks had moved in across the street.

I remember the audio recording department with its one (I think) studio. We used to record our compositions in there. I recall being extremely ignorant about the recording process not realizing there was an art to it.

One funny thing I remember was that in those days there were only about a dozen females attending Berklee. You had to go to BU or BC to get any action. (One of those females at Berklee was a rather dour blonde. Amy Mann. Went on to have a pretty decent career.)

-Naren
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChang
Loved Supreme's cheese steak. Or Far East's lunch special. You got to sit down in a "restaurant"... and were served free hot tea with your meal.
I'm pretty sure they got shut down by the health department while I was there in late 90s not to reopen. Seemed fitting, too, after I got extremely sick from the place. But where else could you find an entire meal (egg rool, crab rangoon, pork fried rice, and the "entree" of the day) for $2.95. Then again, that should have been a warning.

Crazy Dough's opened right before I left. Wow. I loved that place. No more Cappy's, no more Supreme's for me after that place opened.

And I loved getting my morning donut at the Dunkin' on Boylston while watching the parade of nubile female bodies go by to the Boston Conservatory dance studio on the second floor....

Chris Hobson is a punk... but I like punks. Great guy: you're lucky to have him.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I feel like a dork for even saying this but you know that blonde with the short hair in dim light that is in all of those Berklee ads? I have always wondered who she was.... I think she is soooo cute!
πŸ“ Reply