Quantcast
Berklee GS Alumni/Students? - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Berklee GS Alumni/Students?
Old 22nd February 2008 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Was just back in Boston for a performance and had to grab a slice at Crazy Dough's. So good. I also was impressed by the tony new Cappy's building at Westland and Hemmenway: hard to imagine that grease pit (well, tasty grease pit) in such fancy looking diggs.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudy house ➑️
haha...I actually transfered from Fullerton JC to BerklEE! '95 here...great experience. Songwriting major. LOVED little stevies! Worked at the sony theater behind the school...Jon Aldridge ruled

<><
mark
Audio Clips - Neuron Music - Alex Cima
did you take any of cimas classes
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
this is ot, but my favorite shows at the BPC while i was there were MJQ,
John McLaughlin Trio (Kai Eckhardt & Trilok Gurtu), Paquito D'Rivera,
Stanley Jordan w/ Charnett Moffit, Pat Metheny & Steve Morse - to name a few.

some AWESOME shows...
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
+1
BPC shows were usually top notch.

Although they couldn't compare w/Totalitarian Cinderblock or some of those Cafeteria
shows. Now that was fun.

Wow, this thread is bringing back some good times.

And what is this about the practice rooms? I remember having to cart my own kit around the Mass Ave. building to practice.

And do the guards still ask for your Hi Dees to get into the buildings?
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raregroove ➑️
1979 - 84, then NYU for grad school.

Memories ahhhhh.

First day walking in to a jam session and Makoto Ozone is doing his Oscar Peterson impersonation and then Curtis Williams jumps in and does a couple choruses of a dead ringer 60's Herbie Hancock solo... Dorothy we ain't in Kansas anymore.
Yeah, I remember people used to gather outside the rehersal rooms just to hear that guy practice - some for inspiration, some wondering what the hell they are doing there.

So anyway, I was at Berklee 80-83, BA in Electronic Music, learned synthesis on the old Arp 2500 and 2600's, learned recording on an 8 track Otari, because that was what they had then...

Went from there to selling gear at EU Wurlitzer, then LaSalle, then opened up my own 8 track studio in Brookliine Village, and that's when the real Gear-sluttery began.

I'm surprised everyone is going on and on about Supreme, that just wasn't the go to place when I was there, it was all about Cosmo's (loved the Missile Command and Tempest games there)
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
heya, current student here.

Working on a dual degree in MP&E and Music synth.

So far im loving it. The studios are continually getting better and better. The music synth studios are insane...3 D commands, and a new Icon in studio C for MP&E. They have also been stocking everything with nice lunch boxes, distressors, GML stuff, etc.

It's fun!
Old 23rd February 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Graduated December of 04, walked when Mr. Jello was at comencement....I'm glad I went there for my second college, because I don't think I'd have the respect for the learning process that I did after my first school. I still live in Boston and work in several studios around town, have a pretty decent mix suite, and have stopped having to fill in the slow times with live audio as of last year, so I guess I'm on the right path...
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstream ➑️
+1
BPC shows were usually top notch.

Although they couldn't compare w/Totalitarian Cinderblock or some of those Cafeteria
shows. Now that was fun.

Wow, this thread is bringing back some good times.
?
Woah, who is this? I never thought I'd see that mentioned on here.

The bass player in said Cinderblock.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Hehe, was it you guys that did "jumping jack flash" with bunny slippers and lighters. That was cool!!
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
What can
i say, it was a sillier time.

And with regards to the thread at large, Rick Pekham was the only person who could put ear training within my grasp. It was completely beyond me until he brought his guitar to class and started playing Elvis Costello songs.

And Jon Aldrich is still the man.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Carl Beatty was the man when I was there. Learned a TON from that guy! Thanks! Not to mention Dave Moulton's ear training classes......I recommend Golden Ears all the time.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Graduated in '03 MP&E degree. Had a great time and the connections I made have been invaluable. I ran the cafe shows during my time there. Those still going on? I hope not. I hope they are offering better venues for all of the talent there now than a converted cafeteria.

Matt
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbobb ➑️
Graduated in '03 MP&E degree. Had a great time and the connections I made have been invaluable. I ran the cafe shows during my time there. Those still going on? I hope not. I hope they are offering better venues for all of the talent there now than a converted cafeteria.

Matt
Yeah, they're still going on, but they also just opened up a new cafe/venue called licks cafe or something. I haven't been over there yet myself, but i've heard there is a really nice size live space, and during the day it has some decent food and drinks and such.
Old 30th September 2010 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Berklee Class of 2012
Music Business/Management

Little Steve's > Crazy Dough's
Old 28th January 2011 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Saxophone performance major, 1981 - 1984. Played Bari for the most part

There were some very exciting piano students there at the time - Makoto, Cyrus Chestnut, Diana Krall (Piano, not voice major!) and a guy named Iden Esen...I have lost track of him, but what a great player!
Old 1st March 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I attended Berklee for 6 semesters in 2006-2007. Went for performance on scholarship and after the first semester I started applying to the MP&E program. Long story short...ran out of cash and left for an audio school (C.R.A.S.)
PSM
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Graduated with a degree in Composition in 2006 (swapped from Guitar Performance my first two years). I absolutely loved Berklee and Boston, but if I had it to do over, I would have spent my time very differently at that school. All of my regrets have to do with decisions I made on what to study, what to practice, how much I played and with whom, etc. I also would have done so much more to take in the "college experience" than I did. I really do wish I could go back to 18 and start over again there with the knowledge and insight I have now.

PS - Supreme's dominates ALL late night restaurants in the Back Bay.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Graduated in '85. I lived in a rat trap on Haviland across from Mass Ave. building. The roaches would ride around our apartment on mice. Bums enjoyed the lifestyle in our vestibule.

Anyway, there was a fenced in basketball court on the opposite corner from my building. I'm walking to class one day and I see this skinny, ratty-looking dude jump the fence and start shooting hoops. It was Jaco! Later in the day he was walking around offering to give students bass lessons for $20. That's my brush with greatness.

The Berklee years were some of the best I've had. I miss Supreme's.

Dan Palladino
Old 3rd March 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Went to Berklee from 78 - 80. Majored in sax and composition.

Used to see Aimee Mann all the time and the jazz snobs (including me) made fun of her pink and blue hair.

Hung out with Steve Vai a bit. All the teachers hated his playing. I remember going to his Haviland apartment when he was transcribing The Black Page from a little Sears cassette machine. He fnally got Zappa's phone number and used to call and play guitar into the answering machine. There was a place in his transcription that Frank said was incorrect. Steve said no, the band may have made a mistake but that's what's there. Until then Frank was unaware of the mistake. Vai said he'd never be a rock star because he was not interested in flamboyant outfits and being in Rolling Stone magazine. (We all say things at 18 or 19 that turn out differently in later years.)

Played with Victor Bailey quite a few times too. We did a Polish wedding on Cape Cod and out guitar player/leader got so drunk he passed out and we had to do the last set without him. Mark Ledford was also in that band, along with Jeff Sipe.

Used to go see Mike Stern on a regular basis - sometimes two nights in a row. It was amazing to see him even hotter on the second night. Once at Pooh's Pub I was in the restroom and the door flew open and he ran in and puked his guts out in the stall, then went back out to the bar, ordered two Heinekens, downed one, went up on stage with the other and burned his ass off all through the set. I believe the band was Tiger's Baku with Tiger Okoshi and Tommy Campbell and Baron Browne and Gerry Etkins (sp?). He looked a little rough playing with Miles in 81 and still looked rough playing with Jaco in 82. Glad he sobered up and he's still around.

I saw Terry Lynn Carrington play when she was 8 and already amazing.

Some of my other classmates: Branford and Wynton, Cindy Blackman who played drums for Kravitz, David Rosenthal who played keys with Billy Joel and Bon Jovi, Kevin Eubanks and most of the former Tonight Show band and the list goes on.

For me it was an amazing experience and I use that education every day. Maybe the best thing about an education like that is being able to coninuously grow and never reach a dead end. Also being able to translate that knowledge to other instruments and musical methods. Have been making a living since 84 playing music. Got into recording in the early 80's when my Fostex 4 track cost $850!

Saw some free concerts including Ray Charles and Gary Burton near the Commons.

Other shows I saw while living in Boston were: Dizzy Gillespie, Sonny Rollins, DeJohnette, Eberhard Weber, Pat Metheny, Weather Report, Santana, Tower of Power, Cobham, Mahavishnu, Buddy Rich, McCoy Tyner, Chick Corea, Brecker Brothers. Quite an incredible batch of stuff to take in considering I was a kid from a small town in Ohio.

There were some cool jazz clubs - Michael's was just around the corner with a $2 cover to see people like Stern. Ryles in Cambridge was where Stern played in Mike Metheny's band and on rare occasion, Pat would come by and sit in.

Favorite teachers include Dave Mash and Andy Jaffee. Bob Patton was my sax instructor who said during my second lesson, "You play like a pussy! From now on when you come in here I want you to play loud. Fill the horn! Sax is not supposed to be a shy instrument." A few lessons later he said, "My God you play loud!" I reminded him what he had said a few weeks before. At the end of the school year on the last lesson day he said we could either work on something or have some wine. We sat around listening to jazz and just shoot the bull for half an hour.

Lived on Westland Ave. and the neighborhood was so bad landlords would burn down buildings to collect insurance money. Hookers and winos everywhere. If you made a sandwich you would have to fight the roaches to keep it. And indeed, when I went back for a visit, it was all million dollar brownstones.

It was a great time! We used to eat steak and cheese subs at Cappy's. I thought they were the greatest thing in the world but on a visit I had one and was not impressed. The city has so much culture it's amazing but it did get tough to stay there after a while - Boston is no place to live when you don't have any money!

I can only imagine what it would have been like to go to that school and have the technology available that we now have. Back then, we didn't even have CD's! MIDI had not yet come along! No cell phones, no personal computers! I still have a bunch of LPs I bought back then though!
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
When I was there, in addition to terrorizing cafeteria crowds with deconstructed prog masterpieces, I played a lot with a very cool guitar player from South Africa named Gavin Lurssen who used to put his right hand all over the neck of his acoustic to slam harmonics. Lovely guy, we used to hang out at his apartment on Park drive with our girlfriends and plot to take over the world with our music. I hear he's doing alright for himself as a mastering engineer these days.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
berklee allum... 09' dual major in MP&E and Songwriting

I was a little heart broken to see that the semester or two after i graduated they replaced those old sony broadcast broads with gorgeous apis!!

Not sure how long it's been there, but holy crap do I miss Chili duck on boylston... still have yet to find thai a 1/10th as good here in chicago!

Massive shout out to Jeff Largent, Susan Rodgers and John Alderich all total bad asses and amazing teachers!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Skimming through this thread has made me remember a few great things about my time there (93-97, MP&E):

- the ear training program was GREAT. The most helpful thing there, IMO.

- the cafeteria shows were often wildly entertaining

- Leroy Southers (RIP). Amazing composition/harmony teacher, and a dark, fiery, sarcastic yet encouraging, loving personality. A giant of a man.

- Henry Tate, art history. Nothing but love for his students and subject taught.

- Tony Carbone. Stripped down production of it's technical aspects, a master at getting to the heart of a song.

- Wayne Wadhams. Fearless. Realist. Blew my mind when he mentioned that a demo of mine trumped my "official" recording.

- Mashi Hasu, guitar instructor. He was just awesome. Played an Ibanez 7 string, for which I made fun of him incessantly. Monster player who understood that I didn't give a **** about being a monster player. So he took me to school on effects and unusual approaches/techniques, all while ensuring I would pass my proficiency exams with flying colors.

For me, I would put the great teacher percentage there at about 10. But in retrospect, that made it more than worthwhile.
Old 4th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseintheattic ➑️
Berklee MP+E 90 - 91 did not graduate - already had a BS in Computer Science so didn't need any Berklee paper. Even though my focus was MP+E it was my playing that benefited the most. Wonderful "ear training" classes with Rick Peckham - he's a genius. Also studied with George Garzone on Tenor - words can't describe him.

After Berklee - relocated to Martha's Vineyard where I had been hanging in the summers to make money for school and fell in with guys that eventualy became "Entrain" - successful regional act- aside: the Bass player from that band is now touring with Rodney Atkins who is mentioned in another GS thread). Now I live south of Boston and have a day job in IT and a recording studio adjacent to my house. Life is good. -- Rob
Nice! I played with Tommy Major off and on for a while ca. 1988-89. My old band, Shockra, did some gigs with the Ululators and Entrain.

Edwin
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman ➑️
Town Taxi
Boston Cab. Bob Pilkington got me into it. A week after I graduated in 1985, 6 of us showed up to apply.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Warning: This **** reads like an extra-long, spontaneous memoir:

I have a recent Bachelor of Music from Berklee (Spring 2010) in Electronic Production and Design (previously Music Synthesis. I had to go through 8 semesters of harmony, ear training, arranging, classical and contemporary composition, private lessons, ensembles, bass labs and conducting.

All of this on top of my technology focused major where I'd spend 12 hours in a room by myself making grainy sounds with synthesizers, or digging through pages of code to figure out why my sample remixer won't slow down and speed up playback.

I also mastered FMOD for my final thesis, and created several interactive soundscapes and music compositions that are manipulated just by walking through the spaces. Realizing that I actually accomplished my goal with that one was a hugely gratifying moment.

All of this eventually led up to me being given the Electronic Production and Design Achievement Award, and getting my Bachelor near the top of my class from what is regarded as one of the best music schools in the world.

Now I'm Assistant Engineer/Technician at a high profile recording studio in NYC, and while my job primarily consists of recording talent and editing demos for radio/tv commercials, I'm also their IT person and pretty much any equipment or hardware we buy goes through me first. I do a wider variety of things on a daily basis than I ever thought possible for one position, and I love it. They pretty much admitted to hiring me because I went to Berklee.

I still hold myself to my dream of working on video games and films full time.

Some of my csound/C++ code has also been published by Dr. Richard Boulanger in The Audio Programming Book. Dr. B was my biggest inspiration, and I took every class he taught. This man is a genius, and an incredibly nice person who is passionate about everything he does.

I'm not much of a performer anymore, but I learned how to become a very competent bassist and jammed with some incredible players.

Extra Fun Moments:

I got to meet Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy Composer) after he gave a Q&A session on the spot. My teacher liked me and told me where he would be for a private gathering after the session, so I shook his hand and he signed my copy of FF8.

I got to see private bass labs by Victor Wooten when he'd come around to the school every year. This guy is a genius musician, and just listening to him radically changed my musical perspective.

One of my best friends while at school was an American Idol finalist. This guy sounds as close to Sinatra as you can get. Very talented, and a beast of a poker player/whiskey drinker.

Got to go to the premiere of No Country for Old Men due to a good friend of mine being related to someone.

Other famous people to stroll through while I was there...
Bumped into Marcus Miller in the lobby one time.
John Mayer came and gave a speech and talked.
Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater gave a meet & greet across the street.
George Massenberg
Chuck D
Jenny Louis
Max Matthews (father of computer music)

I met the original creator of DJ Hero.

I worked at the Student Computer Support Center for 3 years there through student employment, and met some of the greatest friends I'll ever have. I loved my job because I loved helping students and solving problems.

There are so many ridiculously talented and famous people that I met or saw along the way that its impossible to remember them all. I've never felt so small but so lucky. It really motivated me to work as hard as I possibly could.

It actually makes me mad sometimes that I don't remember more specific names and events that I had experienced, but Berklee was like living in the ****ing Hogwart's of Music. I'm not that much of a nerd that I can remember every single detail, as much as I really wish I could. Just like when you struggle to remember all the names and details of a great book you read a few years ago. It really was the best time of my life so far, and I took it for granted for a while.

Man this post is much longer than I thought it'd be, I apologize in advance for my rambling. I hope someone enjoys it.*

I wouldn't trade my time at Berklee for anything. Even with my insanely high student loan debt.

PS: Supreme Pizza all the way.
Old 5th March 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Class of 1994

I graduated in 1994 with a degree in Music Synthesis and Sound Design.
Old 7th March 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalVictim ➑️
Warning: This **** reads like an extra-long, spontaneous memoir:

I have a recent Bachelor of Music from Berklee (Spring 2010) in Electronic Production and Design (previously Music Synthesis. I had to go through 8 semesters of harmony, ear training, arranging, classical and contemporary composition, private lessons, ensembles, bass labs and conducting.

All of this on top of my technology focused major where I'd spend 12 hours in a room by myself making grainy sounds with synthesizers, or digging through pages of code to figure out why my sample remixer won't slow down and speed up playback.

I also mastered FMOD for my final thesis, and created several interactive soundscapes and music compositions that are manipulated just by walking through the spaces. Realizing that I actually accomplished my goal with that one was a hugely gratifying moment.

Some of my csound/C++ code has also been published by Dr. Richard Boulanger in The Audio Programming Book. Dr. B was my biggest inspiration, and I took every class he taught. This man is a genius, and an incredibly nice person who is passionate about everything he does.

PS: Supreme Pizza all the way.

WOW you and I would have been in the same classes if I were just 16 years younger. Our experiences are about the same only the technology changed.

I went there and learned Synthesis from Chris Noise and Tom Rhea and Dr. Boulanger.

I spent hours in an out of the lab. At that time my cSound projects were running on a Mac SE30 or Mac IIsi. Typical evening was:
- program for 30-45 minutes
- hit compile
- Go to Supreams for a slice
- Come back and listen to what I got
- Repeat.

My final thesis was a "M.U.M.I" (Multi User Musical Instrument). Consisting of 4 "Birdy" (Par16 cans) with lenses and gobos focused on photo resistors taped to the back wall of the recital hall. These were connected to the 4 foot controller jacks of a Roland A80 and controlling 4 of the 8 tracks of Audio I had running in Digidesign's sound designer application (there was one protools rig in the MP&E department that could do about 8 tracks at once at the time).

I gave dimmer controls to 4 audience members so that they could control the volume of the sound files. Then I had a dancer on stage that could interrupt the beams of light and shut the files off. It almost came off perfectly and did in rehearsal but the system in the recital hall had 1/2 the RAM and crashed 3/4 of the way through both performances.

I originally wanted to create a full stage sized Radio Baton but at that time technology would have had to be created and I wasn't into spending another 3 years in college. My plans included wrist straps and ankle straps for the dancers to wear.

Currently I moonlight as a sound system design consultant and pay the bill's working for IBM.
Old 10th March 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farfensound ➑️
WOW you and I would have been in the same classes if I were just 16 years younger. Our experiences are about the same only the technology changed.

I went there and learned Synthesis from Chris Noise and Tom Rhea and Dr. Boulanger.

I spent hours in an out of the lab. At that time my cSound projects were running on a Mac SE30 or Mac IIsi. Typical evening was:
- program for 30-45 minutes
- hit compile
- Go to Supreams for a slice
- Come back and listen to what I got
- Repeat.

My final thesis was a "M.U.M.I" (Multi User Musical Instrument). Consisting of 4 "Birdy" (Par16 cans) with lenses and gobos focused on photo resistors taped to the back wall of the recital hall. These were connected to the 4 foot controller jacks of a Roland A80 and controlling 4 of the 8 tracks of Audio I had running in Digidesign's sound designer application (there was one protools rig in the MP&E department that could do about 8 tracks at once at the time).

I gave dimmer controls to 4 audience members so that they could control the volume of the sound files. Then I had a dancer on stage that could interrupt the beams of light and shut the files off. It almost came off perfectly and did in rehearsal but the system in the recital hall had 1/2 the RAM and crashed 3/4 of the way through both performances.

I originally wanted to create a full stage sized Radio Baton but at that time technology would have had to be created and I wasn't into spending another 3 years in college. My plans included wrist straps and ankle straps for the dancers to wear.

Currently I moonlight as a sound system design consultant and pay the bill's working for IBM.
Wow! Major props! I think I remember Dr. B actually telling us a story about your project. That sounds incredible... most people doing their final thesis today don't even come up with anything half as involved or inspired as that.

In fact, my final class with Dr. B only had about 5 people in it, and we were all doing interactive/audio programming projects. Most others were taking their finals with other teachers and just doing 3 song demos or sound design to video projects.

He still uses his Radio Baton all the time, and we spent some time troubleshooting it in class for a performance he did in Germany last year.
Old 21st March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by evangelista ➑️
- Leroy Southers (RIP). Amazing composition/harmony teacher, and a dark, fiery, sarcastic yet encouraging, loving personality. A giant of a man.

- Henry Tate, art history. Nothing but love for his students and subject taught.
I miss Leroy. What a great teacher. I had him the last semester he was alive.

Henry is a great guy. Really made me love art and art history in a way that I never thought possible.
Old 21st March 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Henry Tate is the man...

I've never met someone with such a mind for names, dates and places. He really is a walking museum. I always looked forward to his classes.
πŸ“ Reply