Quantcast
Guitar playin ProTools users... what amp modeler? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Guitar playin ProTools users... what amp modeler?
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Guitar playin ProTools users... what amp modeler?

Ok, I'm a drummer and don't really know this stuff but I need an amp modeler plug for PT hd to have on hand for emergency tracking and some mix duties. I've used amp farm, and amplitube a little bit.

What's your favorite and why?

Feel free to mention others that will live in PT as well...

thanks!
Old 12th June 2006
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
I still use AmpFarm 3.0 for the modern and saturated amps models (Soldano, Boogie), however if I had to pick one it would be Waves GTR 2.0. The amp models are more organic feeling and sounding to me. Also the multi mic, cabs, and effects options are great.

Best of luck.
Old 12th June 2006
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I've used Amplitube and Amplitube 2 extensively. Here's my take on Amplitube 2 I posted to the DUC (short answer is that it sounds awesome, but is a CPU hog):

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...v=#Post1003295
Old 12th June 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
i have used amplitube and guitar rig. GR is amazing. sometimes, i wont even mic the amp, just do a direct in and throw on GR. i wonder how much better GR2 is
Old 13th June 2006 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Guitar Rig hands down.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I swear on everything, GUITAR RIG 2 is a Tone Guru's / Power Users Dream. It is a tweakheads Dream with damn good modeling IMNSHO, although as always YMMV. I have heard Waves Guitar TDM and it sounded pretty convincing. I like the fine tune-ability of Guitar Rig (esp. version 2) more, but the fact it is RTAS only slightly hurts as TDM feels better to guitarists who are tracking (in my experience). I base that opinion on the reduced latency, that is inherent with a nice TDM rig, when compared to nearly all Host Based DAW Rigs.

Try guitar rig 2 out

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqrokz
i wonder how much better GR2 is
I like the following added features best :

-Crossover (allows aLOT of possibilities, esp. when combined with the following feature...)
-Bass Cabinets & Amps (Ampeg & SWR among other useful classics.)
-New Mics (sadly none of them can be used on guitar cabs though, but u can work-around-ish.)
-More Pedals, Effects, LFO's, and Possibilities
-Guitar Amps (JCM800 makes me drool... others are great too though.)
-High Resolution Mode (Double Bit-Depth)

Peace,
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon (Slightly Paraphrased)
...get a PSA-1.
....about 300 bucks
.....works as a DI too.
....Awesome
...Awesome
...Awesome on Bass too.
A Stellar Suggestion if I may say so.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
While not a plugin- and I have tried most of them- I'd simply get a PSA-1. They are about 300 bucks used and awesome. Beats anything else hands down, and works as a DI too. Awesome on bass as well.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I prefer Amp Farm, but I use LE, so between GR and Amplitube, I prefer the sound of amplitube. The front end + guitar makes ALL the difference.

I have a girlfriend in grad school, so tracking demos with no amp is important here.

I think you'll find a good number of people who also prefer GR. I bet you can get there OK either way.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
yea i definitly second that a good guitar is needed. im also a drummer, and by no means am i a guitar player (one day though....in my dreams). i own a "Mark II" guitar, which is a first act guitar. now, i use that to do demo sratch for drum things and what not for myself. i spent a good deal of time getting that thing to sound awesome through GR. my friend left his les paul here, and i plugged that in and WOW. that guitar is my NS-10. if you can make a preset with that guitar sounding good, it will make any other guitar sound like heaven (or hell depending on the sound you want ).
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
All that being said, I think funky guitars can sound good. I like odd guitars with great amps.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Guitar Rig 2 ... I especially like the 'tweakability' of the thing. The mic types and positions are pretty true to what they would sound if you would place them like that ion front of a cabinet. Which makes it really easy to get close to the sound your aiming for without too much hassle.

Amp Farm is TDM which has major advantages in mixing sessions. G Rig tends to be quite heavy on CPU usage imho
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
ah forgot about how much GR can hog a cpu. i usually record the guitar then bounce down the audio file with the GR plug in on it to another track. if i dont, having 2-4 GR inserts will kill my cpu. i usually get the sound i want in standalone mode (which is awesome), then just use that preset on the audio file in PT.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara_tonin
Guitar Rig hands down.
Yeah, I kinda freaked the first time I used it. I use a real rig, but it's nice to have this capability.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm a guitarist, and I love mic'ing tube amps for recording, but I've been surprised at how many guitar tracks I've recorded direct through the Line6 Pod Pro have ended up on my mixes.

It always starts as "We'll just record this as a scratch track," but we manage to find a sound on that fukker that sits in the mix just so, and it ends up being a keeper.

It doesn't hurt that all our guitars are set up by Godsmack's guitar tech, Kurt Schneck, and played by able-bodied guitarists such as NAEEMAH. So maybe I should add a "Don't Try This At Home" disclaimer for all you kidz.
πŸ“ Reply