Quantcast
PT routing questions for those PT users! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
PT routing questions for those PT users!
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
PT routing questions for those PT users!

I wondered why BFD can be loaded as a plugin on the input tab of other instrument tracks, but I haven't found any other plugs that work...???

What is the difference between using a send to input bus of a aux track instead using the output bus to the input bus of an aux, -besides being able to control the amount of effect with the send fader,- anything?
Old 13th June 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A send can be anything that's in your i/o setup, including a bus.

You're comparing:

send from audio track -> aux track input

output of an audio track set to a bus -> aux track input

You can set a send to be pre fader (post fader is default)

You can also assign multiple outputs from an audio track, but the fader will always control the output.

But if you don't mind adding another aux, you can bring up the same track on the input of a new aux track instead of from a send on an audio track.

Does that make sense?
Old 13th June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Max why does , for example, REVERB sound like crap and 3 times quieter when sent output to the input to the aux input (verb)? Even adjusting the mix, the reverb sounds ok at best. Whereas, bussing audio track's ( sends) to an aux track the reverb sounds much better, less tin sounding even with the send fader pushing 100% of the signal!

Here is something kinda weird, when I put amplitube in an insert on my AUX track with 2 audio track ( rhythm and lead guitar) bussed to the aux track, amplitube could seem to handle feeding two audio tracks! Is putting amplitube on each audio track the only way to go here?

IS bussing the output of an audio track to bus 1-2 of an aux track the exact same as using a send ( at full send fader output) to bus 1-2 of an aux track? If yes, why does it sound a little different?

Why does BFD show up on the output menu -in the plugin selection but other plugs do not?

Why are most AUX tracks ( made in case for adding a plug) made as a stereo AUX when the track to be bussed to it is a mono track?

When should a bus to an aux track be mono instead of the typical bus 1-2? Can anyone think of an example?
Old 13th June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzface777

IS bussing the output of an audio track to bus 1-2 of an aux track the exact same as using a send ( at full send fader output) to bus 1-2 of an aux track? If yes, why does it sound a little different?
I'm gonna guess, and I think this question sums up (no pun intended) what you're wondering about.

Maybe someone who actually knows can say for sure (end of disclaimer).

Maybe there is internal dither on one and not the other. Or maybe if there is it's different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzface777
Why does BFD show up on the output menu -in the plugin selection but other plugs do not?
Because BFD is designed to work this way. If you open the BFD plugin on a stereo track, that track is 1 & 2 (C-12's). Once you've done that, the other channels show up in the other tracks.

I've used it this way a few times, but I prefer the ReWire version. It seems that the internal buffer sizes are a bit small for something like BFD.

The reason other plugins wouldn't show up there is that they're designed to work as inserts. BFD creates it's own sounds, as it's a sound module. A compressor is designed to act on existing audio, so a compressor by itself on a track wouldn't make that much sense.

In other words, BFD isn't an effect that you use to modify other tracks (obviously).

BTW, I've never thought of putting a guitar amp plugin on a group of guitars, since I tend to think of it as an amp, but really, it's an effect, and I suppose that makes some kind of sense. The only thing is that all the gutiars are going to have the same sound that way. If that's what you want, then cool. I can see how I might use that on a group of mic'd guitar amp tracks somehow. I would have never thought of it if you hadn't mentioned it.
Old 21st June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
I'm gonna guess, and I think this question sums up (no pun intended) what you're wondering about.
So there isn't a difference! I just wondered. So, using sends at full fader output would easier be met by just using the the output channel bussed to an aux track, right?
πŸ“ Reply