Quantcast
My Moment in Bizarro World - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
My Moment in Bizarro World
Old 11th June 2006
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 15 years
My Moment in Bizarro World

It seemed like a simple thing. I needed an AES to go from the output of my Apogee Convertor to the input of a Tascam CDR. But I needed it today. So I drove to Guitar Center and walked into the "Pro Audio Dept." WELCOME TO BIZARRO WORLD.

I looked thru the hundreds of cables hanging on the wall but could not find an AES cable. After waiting for a salesman to become available I told the young man "I need an AES cable." He gave me a blank look and said "What's that?" I said "it's a coaxial digital signal cable with XLR connectors." He said "You mean AES on one end and XLR on the other?" It was my turn to look at him with a blank stare.

I was stunned. How can this guy not know something so basic as what kind of cable you use to interface 2 pieces of gear. I said "You work in the pro audio dept. and don't know what an AES cable is? You need to educate yourself." Then I took a deep breath, told myself to chill out, he was probably a newbie and almost certainly a wiz with Reason 3.0. "Where's your department manager?" I asked.

The manager comes over.
The kid says "AES cable".
Manager says "What about it?"
Kid "Do you know what it is?"
Mgr. "Yeah, I know what it is. Why?"
Kid "He needs one."
Mgr looks at me. "We don't stock them. We have to special order them."

WELCOME TO PRO AUDIO IN BIZARRO WORLD
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Yeah, but the GC in Austin had a mic cable discount bin under one of the display tables. Most of them had price tags, and others didn't. None of them had the packaging. There were several Live Wire and Mogami cables. The Live Wire's that were marked were priced around $7. The Mogami's that were marked were priced around $35. Here's the kicker, I grabbed one Live Wire at $7, and about 8 Mogami's that weren't marked. I asked the clerk how much they were and he shrugged and gave them to me for $7 each.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Another time I bought one of those new fangled Roland modeling amps for $1000 from GC. I like it for shows so I don't have to worry about tons of effects pedals. Anyway, about a year and a half later it started tweaking out and not working properly. So I brought it into GC in Sac to see what they could do. The rep... who I didn't even know... exchanged it on the spot for a new one. He said he'd put the old one in the new box and send it back!!!!!

I don't want to make myself look like a scammer. GC offered to do this, so what can I say?

And on another positive note I have to mention a rep from Sacramento GC that offered to come over to my house and show me how to tune up a new DW kit that I bought from him. I'm not really a drummer, I just have the kit for the studio. He actually came over and gave me a very informative personal lesson on tuning up my new kit. He was at my house for several hours making minor adjustments until the kit sounded great. I was very impressed. He mentioned that his DW 5000 dual pedal had a broken left side. I just so happened to lose the right side of the same pedal at a gig. So I gave him my left over left side as a tip. We both left the experience very happy.

So GC may be the Wal-Mart of the music world, but it ain't all bad.
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfkat
It seemed like a simple thing. I needed an AES to go from the output of my Apogee Convertor to the input of a Tascam CDR. But I needed it today. So I drove to Guitar Center and walked into the "Pro Audio Dept." WELCOME TO BIZARRO WORLD.

I looked thru the hundreds of cables hanging on the wall but could not find an AES cable. After waiting for a salesman to become available I told the young man "I need an AES cable." He gave me a blank look and said "What's that?" I said "it's a coaxial digital signal cable with XLR connectors." He said "You mean AES on one end and XLR on the other?" It was my turn to look at him with a blank stare.

I was stunned. How can this guy not know something so basic as what kind of cable you use to interface 2 pieces of gear. I said "You work in the pro audio dept. and don't know what an AES cable is? You need to educate yourself." Then I took a deep breath, told myself to chill out, he was probably a newbie and almost certainly a wiz with Reason 3.0. "Where's your department manager?" I asked.

The manager comes over.
The kid says "AES cable".
Manager says "What about it?"
Kid "Do you know what it is?"
Mgr. "Yeah, I know what it is. Why?"
Kid "He needs one."
Mgr looks at me. "We don't stock them. We have to special order them."

WELCOME TO PRO AUDIO IN BIZARRO WORLD

Same here. No AES cables for me at GC either! WTF.
Old 11th June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Your right. Guitar Center is not a pro shop for recording. I usually go there to buy general cables, picks, sticks maybe look at some mics. I don't wanna have to wait for the mail for those things. I had a great experience in there buying a guitar. The guy new a lot about the guitars and helped me a lot for hours. Remember, it is called guitar center. Pro Audio is a more broad range of knowledge. You can't expect too much.

If you go to their "pro GC shop" They dedicate a professional to assist you and they have higher end equipment. Anyone have experience with the "pro" shop?
Old 11th June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell
The rep... who I didn't even know... exchanged it on the spot for a new one. He said he'd put the old one in the new box and send it back!!!!!
This is one place where the power of Guitar Sinner or Sam Ash can work for you. No matter how much you hate the idea of the place.

In the new world of lateral expansion, these chains buy many of the companies who manufacture the stuff they sell. Even if they don't own the company, they buy so much stuff that they don't have to ask before they do a return. What is the manufacturer gonna tell the guy who orders hundreds or thousands of units? BTW, boutique dealers have been known to do the same thing.

These days, GC and Sam Ash sell for exactly the "street" price of the online guys on most stuff, too.

I've been surprised by the Austin GC. There are two guys in Pro Audio who I always pump for information, and there's a guitar/amp guy who knows a lot about vintage stuff.

But mostly those places are for neighborhood kids buying their first guitar. They could hardly afford to cater to the pro market. That'd be kind of like going into Auto Zone and asking for a gasket set for a Ferrari Daytona (it's a $1200 gasket set... don't ask why I know). You can't blame 'em for not having it in stock.

It's kind of a shame that chains are killing local small businesses, but I don't think the mom and pop music store was gonna have any of that high end accessory stuff either.

Besides, Wal-Mart didn't kill the small businesses. We all did.

๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…