1178 CLONE Langensee Dual Peak Limiter - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
1178 CLONE Langensee Dual Peak Limiter
Old 21st June 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
1178 CLONE Langensee Dual Peak Limiter

Hi,

Be carefull with this 1178 Clone built by Langensee that you can buy on EBAY. I bought one 2 years ago: ratio 12 and 20 button dont work after 2 months; Ther is a BIG hum that I can heard on the L/R Out. Sometimes, I can heard radio to...

Here is what the seller say:

"This awesome device has been rebuilt by a qualified sound engineer upon the original UREI 1178 schematics. It works just as the original UREI 1178, the sound is the same, the technical data are almost identical und the components are the same too."

Just look at the picture of the clone:

And here is the UREI:

I'll let you make your opinion...
Old 7th December 2014
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thanks a lot ! That was close...
Old 10th January 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
It's a good thing that people like you warn us about what we could call "Hardware Spam"...
Thank you again
Old 10th January 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The omission of transformers is a major thing IMHO.. The one we had in my studio back in the day was called 'The Carpet Bagger'... just added so much girth and colour.

Loved Smashing a mult of the OH with it as well as bass.

Wiggy
Old 10th January 2015
Village Idiot

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannnu ➡️
]the technical data are almost identical und the components are the same too....
Read in the voice of Peter Sellers, right?

How much did you pay, if you dont mind me asking?

The same circuit can be layed out in very different ways. The Urei layouts are usually VERY generously spaced, so its possible to put them into a more compact PCB. Would be a good idea to put an output transformer in there, though.

Here my own take on the 1178 circuit. You can see it looks nothing like the original either, but the circuit is pretty close.

Symmetrical FET Compressor

Gustav
Old 21st June 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Interesting As I just saw one of these. Well, I think if you're on a budget and would like to incorporate a 1176 into a live rig, this might just come pretty close. Though a lot of the character of 1176 comes from the transformers, it is quite a lot about how it's built also. And if the schematics are close and it works the same way...this could probably sound As good as the original plugins. Pretty decent, you get about 80% of what u wanted.
📝 Reply