Optimal signal chain to DAW - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Optimal signal chain to DAW
Old 10th June 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Optimal signal chain to DAW

Hi there slutz!!

Been trackin' to daw for several years now and are sick and tired of this s***** and cold sound. Have tried out different preamps and mic's (back in 2000) and my choice at the time were the Avalon 737 sp with the Manley Ref C. So that's what I'm using now.

I also tried out the Neumann M-149 but it sounded a bit nasty in the mids. The Amek Purepath's compressor I really liked but I thought the preamp in the Avalon sounded "better".

For example, when tracking an acoustic guitar in a "strumming pattern" I would like that resonant highs but not these s***** "clicks" that I often end up with. Been trying to place the mic at varoius positions and distances. It get's better when you place the mic further away at like 1 meter. But then you loose some of the proximity and "close" feeling of the track.

Also tried to overdrive the Avalon to tame the transients a bit but than I loose definition instead. Plugins like the Uad pultec and La2a seems to help but it's not enough!! Need something that sounds "warm" to begin with.

Been thinkin' of the El7 Fatso in the signal chain. Would that make a difference?? Maybe use a Neumann M-147 instead of the Ref-C wich is hyped in the highs? Or a Universal audio La-610 or La-6176 as preamp/compressors??

Any ideas, Slutz??

//Jamzone
Old 10th June 2006

🎧 15 years
Have you tried an Shure SM7 or Neve preamp?
Old 10th June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanx for your answer!!

Haven't tried the Shure Sm7 but it's dynamic, right?? Tried the Ev Re-10 and it definitely rounds off the highs (as every dynamic mic would do) but doesn't sound the way I want it. Tried the RoyerLabs ribbon mic aswell and that sounds funky but not right. The sm57 sounds interesting to but far to lo-fi and noisy.

What neve preamp are you refering to?? Have tried some when mixing elsewhere but not in my own environment. Would you say that some "high end" sweetening is taking place in those??

//Jamzone

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamzone
What neve preamp are you refering to?? Have tried some when mixing elsewhere but not in my own environment. Would you say that some "high end" sweetening is taking place in those??

//Jamzone
The typical 1073 or similar will help round out the lows and help your recordings from sounding "s***** and cold"... I think you have enough high end sweetening with that Manley microphone.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
OK, the Manley is sweet on some vocals. Got a really nice presence. You mean that the 1073 has some "rounding" of transients?? In that case, maybe that's what I need!! The Avalon seem's to "linear".

What do you think of the El7 Fatso??

//Jamzone

🎧 15 years
Quote:
OK, the Manley is sweet on some vocals. Got a really nice presence. You mean that the 1073 has some "rounding" of transients?? In that case, maybe that's what I need!! The Avalon seem's to "linear".

What do you think of the El7 Fatso??

//Jamzone
That's exactly what I'm saying... That's one reason why people have always liked Neve's on vocals.. You may want to look at something like the Aurora Audio GTQ2mkIII (www.auroraaudio.net), as it's hard for me to recommend purchasing the very pricey original Neve modules (unless you are a commercial studio or independently wealthy).. The GTQ is made by Geoff Tanner, who worked as a designer for Neve, and even drew the original schematic for the 1073. It will give you the same character you are looking for.

The FATSO is a cool piece, but I wouldn't use it on vocals unless i was really looking to **** them up. heh It's a piece that has the ability to alter the signal, sometimes a little too much. I like using the FATSO on something like overheads or room mics, but not the vocal.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Allright, to sum it up;

You think the 1073 would round off the edges?
The Manley's got sweet highs (no need of mic change).

Would this be your "all purpose signal chain"??

Best

//Jamzone

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Allright, to sum it up;

You think the 1073 would round off the edges?
The Manley's got sweet highs (no need of mic change).

Would this be your "all purpose signal chain"??

Best

//Jamzone
My "all purpose" signal chain would probably be a U87 into a 1073 or GTQ2, followed by a Distressor or 1176. The Manley would work on some things (especially female vocals), but you can never have enough microphones. What other mics do you own?
Old 11th June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just another angle. The thing that turned me off the most from digital recording seemed to be remedied by good converison. Do you have that part taken care of?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The converter that I'm currently using is the RME Adi8ds. I think its a pretty descent converter. Owned a 02r and used that as a converter, also used my Dbx Quantum as a converter. Tracked in Protools Hd with that converter; the problem is the same!!

The converter is a subtle thing in comparison to what I'm looking for.

Gonna buy some gear to correct this problem so please, any suggestions is highly appreciated!!

As an example, the acoustic guitar sound on Robbie Williams "Escapology" album with that sparkling harmonic highs and fat bottom that never gets boomy, how is that achieved?? Of course, the guitar and who plays it is the biggest issue.

I remember when we first tried out these tube mic's (Manley, Neumann) we got this feeling of WOW, what a difference!! I would like that difference again!!

//Jamzone
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Tony;

Mic's:

At 4050
At 4030
Neuman tlm-103
Milab Vip-50
Milab Vm-44
Shure sm57