Quantcast
Soundelux U195 or Audiotechnica 4050 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Soundelux U195 or Audiotechnica 4050
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Soundelux U195 or Audiotechnica 4050

Soundelux U195 or Audiotechnica 4050. Which one sounds better. Is the U195 supposed to be a Neuaman U87 clone? Also someone said the U195 can sound as good as a $4000 mic. Any truth to this.
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joji
Soundelux U195 or Audiotechnica 4050. Which one sounds better. Is the U195 supposed to be a Neuaman U87 clone? Also someone said the U195 can sound as good as a $4000 mic. Any truth to this.
Audio Technica 4050. It is a better all around mic. You can use it for M/S miking together with another AT4050 (omni, cardioid, figure-8 pattern) and you can group them into 4 per instrument (2 omni, 1 cardiod, 1 figure-8) for more advanced M/S setups. I would rather buy two AT4050 than one Soundelux U195...

This is only my opinion though...
Old 6th June 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I have them both

U195 is awesome for everything, but Ive never liked it on Vox. Its not like the U87 I use to have, or others that Ive used. Its better in a lot of ways.
I also have an AT4050, planning on getting another also. This is a very clean sounding mic, fairly fat in response to everything so far. I just got it recently, could imagine using it for just about anything.
The 4050 is nicer on vox for us than the U195, you may like the U195 better for your uses though, Im not sure. Id get them both or atleast check both of them out.
Old 6th June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I sold the U195 & kept the 4047!!
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
I like the U195 better, I have both, I also have a U87, the U195 is not a clone. I'm not sure what sounding as good as a 4000 dollar mic means but I would say no. But it sounds good. The mids are different between a U87 and a U195, I'd also say the U195 has a bigger bottom and an extended top. The 4050 sounds boxy and is not in any way shape or form as nice a mic, its also half the price. While I do find it useful, I have never liked the 4050 for vocals or saxophone. Whereas the U195 works real nice for both and great in front of the kick.
Old 7th June 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
i also have both

the 4050 was the first LDC mic i got and probably the first quality mic i got (besides SM57). so i have done a lot with it. i have done pretty good vocals with it though i usually prefer something else. it works as a drum OH and as a room mic (the variable polar positions are useful for this). i think that you can't find a better multi pattern mic for the price (maybe a sure ksm44 if you get a good deal) and i like it better than my 414 b-uls. it's really nice on strings and other instruments that have a difficult high end. very smooth, neutral mic. you can use it on anything really and it will always give you a pretty good representation of the sound and rarely sounds bad. my favorite use for it is on cabs. i love it when you are recording something a little strange, like using a bunch of stomp boxes or recording a rhodes or something. about 3" back it sounds exactly like what you are hearing.
all that said, since getting some better mics (including the u195) i don't use it as much. but i would never sell it because i know that one day it might be exactly what i need. the u195 just sounds nicer. i think that the u195 is one of the least expensive high end mics you can get. the 4050 is just short of "high end". it sounds great but compared to something like the u195 you realize it's missing something. it's like the 4050 does a good job capturing the sound but the u195 (or other high end mics) kind of enhances the sound. i didn't really get it about nice mics until the u195. i compared the u195 to a 414 b-uls on acoustic one day and i got it. the u195 just had the best high end.
the u195 is also very versatile. using the "fat" and "low cut" switch you can really get a lot of different good sounds on different sources. i like using both together for vocals, kind of enhances the low end without getting too boomy. this mic really feels high end and expensive. the 4050 is nice but holding the u195 feels precious, and although it may not affect the sound i think that that is important.
so i would say if you need a good workhorse that works on everything and has the versatility of multipattern (try putting the 4050 in figure 8 and using a SDC for M/S on acoustic or whatever) get the 4050 and save some dough. but if you want a special mic that adds something and cuts through the mix i would get the u195.
Old 7th June 2006
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
u195 sound not like the u87 101%. It's thin and too bright. I did a test between a u195 & tlm103 plug into voxbox - mackie d8b-hr824. the tlm 103 kickass u195.
Old 8th June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have them both and they are very different...

Like it's been said, the 4050 is a versatile mic but is definitely not "high end". Good mic but not great, it just doesn't sound high end enough but with a good pre it and a good singer it can do very well. I also like it on acoustic guitar.

I just got a U-195 6 months ago and haven't had the chance to use it much except on vocals and a Martin in M/S config. I paired it with a MP-2NV on vocals (no eq) and thought that it was a bit dark, it seemed to sound a bit livelier with a 737, strangely enough. That was the extent of my test since I got it.

I also tried it on an acoustic guitar and thought it was nice and smooth but not bright/crispy enough to cut through a dense mix.

For me, the jury is still out on the U-195 but I will keep it because it is definitely good enough to keep. Plus, you can never have enough mics can you ?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i use the u-195 frequently......perhaps more than my 87.......i had a 4050.....
i sold it awhile ago......i never really like it......i have used the u-195 more in three
years than i did the 4050 in ten.......
i am a big fan of all of david bock's mics......they are a great value

be well

- jack
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It depends on what you want to do.

The U195 is probably the more satisfying mic.
Which the fat switch it has more versatility as far as character change.
It sounds nothing like a U87.

I respectfully but hardly agree with the TLM103 kicking butt on the U195. I would bet the % of people would be at least 80% who would choose the U195. Still, different things work for different people and thier different needs so you never know.

The 4050 is a an excellent workhorse or utilitarian mic.
It is rather on the clean side. Not to exciting....but it will never sound bad and will work on a lot of sources. It costs way less than the U195 and is the type of mic to always have a place not matter what else you may buy.

If you can swing something like the Peluso 22 47 I would highly recommend it.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
hmm... I seem to slightly be in the minority here but while I love the 4050 head to head in cardioid the 195 sounds much better than the 4050. Now the wildcard is that the AT adds the extra polar patterns which certainly helps. But I challenge any of you to put up a U195 and 4050 side by side and sing/talk/play into them and see which one you like the best. I'll bet the 195 wins 90+% of the time.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvktv
u195 sound not like the u87 101%. It's thin and too bright. I did a test between a u195 & tlm103 plug into voxbox - mackie d8b-hr824. the tlm 103 kickass u195.

please tell me you are not serious...."too bright" ? but then again you were monitoring on Mackies
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The U-195 is *not* a U-87 clone. IMHO, it is a far less "boring" than the U-87. I had an AT 4050 (and thought it was a decent mic), I then bought a U-87 (which I think is a decent mic), later on I added the U-195 and finally sold off the other two because I kept reaching for the U-195 99.99% of the time. That's just my personal opinion, though. FWIW, I'd look at the Gefell M-930 as well.
Joshua
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvktv

WHAT??????????????????????

If anything, the U-195 is on the dark side. Going thru my MP-2NV, Distressors and Rosetta it came out darker than I wanted.

And by the way, I'm on my 3rd U-195, the other 2 had some howling wind noise problem, a voltage spike every second or so. Also, the fat switch doesn't seem to be working right.

I couldn't figure out what it was but I think the 3rd one is making noises as well. I have to try this one out a bit more but I'm starting to lose my faith about their quality control...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ethan, I don't think you're in the minority at all.
I think your point is spot on.

I think the U-195 is a very good mic.
Still, I will you you all in pales in comparison the A Peluso 22 47.
Seriously, I sold my U-195 after I bought the Peluso.......and that's saying a lot.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This is how Sound Kitchen has spent their money on mics:

Sennheiser MD421 * 17
Audio Technica 4050 * 14
AKG C414 * 12
Audio Technica 4033 * 10
Neumann U87 * 4
Soundelux U195 * 0

As you can notice the professionals find Audio Technica 4050 to be very versatile and useful in comparison to the Soundelux U195. Chad Clarke working at Sound Kitchen has personally recommended the Audio Technica 4050 to me. He says you get a surprisingly big sound out of these for the money. He recommends using them with Api pres... You need to use these mics in the right context though. I don't think a mic like this should be used as the main mic for vocals, but it's a great all-around mic.
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowStorm
This is how Sound Kitchen has spent their money on mics:

Sennheiser MD421 * 17
Audio Technica 4050 * 14
AKG C414 * 12
Audio Technica 4033 * 10
Neumann U87 * 4
Soundelux U195 * 0

As you can notice the professionals find Audio Technica 4050 to be very versatile and useful in comparison to the Soundelux U195. Chad Clarke working at Sound Kitchen has personally recommended the Audio Technica 4050 to me. He says you get a surprisingly big sound out of these for the money. He recommends using them with Api pres... You need to use these mics in the right context though. I don't think a mic like this should be used as the main mic for vocals, but it's a great all-around mic.
years ago I remember Tony Bongiovi wanting to swap services with someone by giving them some AT mics, it seems he had an endorsement and got them for free.
maybe the Elefante's had a similar deal, regardless, amongst other mics I own a pair of 4050's a U195, a U87 and a Peluso 2247. While i do have uses for my 4050's and haven't felt the need to sell them, I think the U195 is a much nicer sounding mic, so is the peluso 2247, which I thinks smokes them all.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
4050 is absolutley a better mic..world class at any price. u195 in my opinion is a one trick pony had one, got rid of it..other mics have the same character but do the job better.
πŸ“ Reply