Impressed With Some UA Gear!!! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Impressed With Some UA Gear!!!
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Impressed With Some UA Gear!!!

In past experiences, I didn't care for the Universal Audio gear, but... I must eat crow. A friend told me that the 4 Channel Mic Pre 4110 and the converter (UA2192) are doing him great. So, I called Calistro Music. Craig spoke very highly of those boxes too, so ordered them. Man, they rock. Thanks Sean And Thanks Craig! Good Stuff!
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
How audible are the different modes of the preamp?
Old 5th June 2006 | Show parent
C/G
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a serious love for UA gear, except for the 2-610, which I used to own and sold. I have a pair of 2ch UA2108 pres that are some of my favorite that I own and I have some decent stuff (Chandler, Tab, Mercury ect.) and I think they absolutely kill on drums, electric guitars, keys..........anything really. I wish they didn't stop making them because I want another 2 ch of the 2108.

I am enjoying my 2192 as well but it is the first and only converter I have so the only thing I can compare it to is a Digi 002r. The manual is a bit tough to get through but other than that I am very happy with it.

I am digging my 2-1176 as well and plan on an LA-3A reissue as soon as cash permits.
Old 7th June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yea I did not dig the 610 either, but recently got a 2-1176 from Craig as well and damn it rocks! And Colin I have been interested in the 2108 forever now...hmmm....

Total side note, the UA crew are amazing at customer service....one of my 6176's went down a few years back before I sold them and they worked it out with GC to give me a shelf unit and had them return it for me...Now that is Customer Service!!!!!
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K
In past experiences, I didn't care for the Universal Audio gear, but... I must eat crow. A friend told me that the 4 Channel Mic Pre 4110 and the converter (UA2192) are doing him great. So, I called Calistro Music. Craig spoke very highly of those boxes too, so ordered them. Man, they rock. Thanks Sean And Thanks Craig! Good Stuff!

man..i wish i had your kinda cash
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
are the 4 Channel Mic Pre 4110 s the same as the 2108s ?"
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Colincheck here

Why did UA stop making the 2108? Like to hear more on those 4110 pre's.....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I gotta chime in on the 2108 and say another big thumbs up. I HAD 2 units, sold one, and now have to chalk that decision up to one stupid f%$king move! I've been looking for another one ever since, love them on drums, guitars, great for running synths direct, just about everything. If you're out there Durv, I WANT IT BACK!!!!
TommyD
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
hmmm i really like the 610 for bass DI. plus the 2-610 looks really sweet in the rack. i am really impressed with the 1176, la-2a, and la-3a reissues. i think the UA guys have really gotten it right.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
the 6176 is one hell of a Bass channel strip.

had a bassist in the other day that liked it so much, he's buying one with a 2 space shockmount rack for his LIVE rig!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexi
man..i wish i had your kinda cash

I wish I did too. I trim the fat. Sell the stuff that doesn't kill me. Besides, I work for a private label and they really own all the gear. I am just the foo' who gets to use it
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I have recently received the 8 channel version, 8110 and
have been impressed so far.

(Had to wait about 8 months to get one, there was some kind
of part shortage/issue).
C/G
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gevermil
are the 4 Channel Mic Pre 4110 s the same as the 2108s ?"
I am pretty sure it is the same input stage as the 2108 and UA stopped making the 2108 because it cost them too much to produce for what they sold it for, plus not too many people bought them. The minute I plugged it in I loved it, and I remember taking it to a local studio when I was recording with a band I was in and we compared it to a pair of 1272's and the UA killed it. I immediately ordered a second. I would like to find another and I recall seeing them used for around $1100 all the time but I think those days are over. Maybe we should start to diss the 2108 so we can get them cheap again.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gaucher
Maybe we should start to diss the 2108 so we can get them cheap again.
Yep, man that 2108 is a POS! What crap, I can't believe anyone would use that thing. (runs to check the classified section)heh
Tommyheh D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you ever pop the hood
Tell me what transformers they were using
cinemag ? custom ??
C/G
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
2108 uses same input stage and transormer of the 1176. I'm guessing Cinemag.
πŸ“ Reply