Quantcast
Rob Schnapf - Page 33 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rob Schnapf
Old 13th April 2012 | Show parent
  #961
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm ➑️
Otari MTR 90 mrk 2
i checking with someone to see if they are interested
Old 14th April 2012 | Show parent
  #962
Lives for gear
 
superburtm's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S ➑️
i checking with someone to see if they are interested
Thanks Rob but i found a guy! Charlie Watts, the man is great and it was a simple fix. The deck is purring like a kitten!
Old 14th April 2012
  #963
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm ➑️
Thanks Rob but i found a guy! Charlie Watts, the man is great and it was a simple fix. The deck is purring like a kitten!
Cool
I love the stones
Old 14th April 2012 | Show parent
  #964
Lives for gear
 
jeremyglover's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S ➑️
Cool
I love the stones
good to know the man's keeping busy.
Old 16th April 2012 | Show parent
  #965
Gear Maniac
 
taherbert's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Hey Rob, I just wanted to give a shout out and be the prototypical fan boy for once. You've worked on some of my favorite records over the years (Toadies, Beck, Elliott Smith, Foo Fighters). I listened to the Lost in the Trees Record you mixed, and it sounds great too. Our studio and its minions have done some stuff with the band members on various projects (the Chapel Hill music scene is really slutty, everyone gets around), but we never had the privilege to work with that band. The new record sounds great. What effects were you using on the vocal, if you don't mind my asking? I love the way the reverb predelay on the vocal kind of just bleeds into the strings without things getting too muddy.
Old 17th April 2012
  #966
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
thats whats cool about the predelay, it helps keep it off the vocal while still being on the vocal. And then it gives a nice melt into everything else.
There was a couple layers of compression on Ari's vocal to help get it to sit in the track.
Isince it wasnt recorded with any at all this was nevessary as they were pretty dynamic.
Some eq to fill in the low mids a touch and de essing.
And tape slap to taste....
Old 17th April 2012 | Show parent
  #967
Gear Maniac
 
taherbert's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S ➑️
thats whats cool about the predelay, it helps keep it off the vocal while still being on the vocal. And then it gives a nice melt into everything else.
There was a couple layers of compression on Ari's vocal to help get it to sit in the track.
Isince it wasnt recorded with any at all this was nevessary as they were pretty dynamic.
Some eq to fill in the low mids a touch and de essing.
And tape slap to taste....
Great to know! That's actually pretty similar to what I ended up doing on a lot of projects lately. I find that two compressors at mild-to moderate settings always seems to sound better on vocals than one dialed in hard. I still haven't found a De-esser that I can stand, but I don't have a hardware de-esser. I almost always end up going in and de-essing manually with automation in DAW.
Old 17th April 2012 | Show parent
  #968
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by taherbert ➑️
Great to know! That's actually pretty similar to what I ended up doing on a lot of projects lately. I find that two compressors at mild-to moderate settings always seems to sound better on vocals than one dialed in hard. I still haven't found a De-esser that I can stand, but I don't have a hardware de-esser. I almost always end up going in and de-essing manually with automation in DAW.
sometimes i will use three if it needs it.
which these did.
and with the modern ultra bright condenser and average home fi converters, the esses can get really out of control.
as far as de-essers go, the der esser is really good.

and i'll do the same thing as you, i will go thru by hand turning down the hi energy sss ppp tttt and depending sometimes band passing them as well.
Old 26th April 2012
  #969
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Old JBL 4311's with custom 3 way 2nd order linkwitz/riley crossovers sound preety damn cool.
Sucked out the nuclear mid range pain.
The woofer is no longer full range and the mid and tweet actually crossover now.
That was fun.
Next up, the crossover on the 811B's......
Old 27th April 2012 | Show parent
  #970
Lives for gear
 
superburtm's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I used to have a pair of 4311's at my studio many years ago and i really like them. I was using them stock tho
Old 27th April 2012 | Show parent
  #971
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S ➑️
Old JBL 4311's with custom 3 way 2nd order linkwitz/riley crossovers sound preety damn cool.
Sucked out the nuclear mid range pain.
The woofer is no longer full range and the mid and tweet actually crossover now.
That was fun.
Next up, the crossover on the 811B's......
Maybe someday I'll bring my JBL LSR32's down there to do a shoot out, could be fun.

Always wanted too shoot out the Harbeth's with my Opals too
Old 27th April 2012
  #972
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Im down for a shoot out.
They never go as planned and usually reveal something you didnt expect.
Then we can go to the verdugo for some japanese white ale....
I do know the The 4311's aren't going to replace the harbeths ever.
No matter what kind of crossover i build for them.
But now i can save the harbeths from some punishment when cutting bass
And let the 12" woof kick it out. Hooked up to the recapped phase linear
We are definitely hitting aome 70's strides.
Old 6th May 2012
  #973
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Re piped drums into the room thru some 811B's.
Sounds large.
Compressed this thru a pair of level-ors.
Nice agressive room sound.
The mid range is defiinitely abit crowded for mixing on the 811's.
I think the next experiment will be to remove light bulb protection
circuit and re design crossover To scoop out the 1,5k build up.
Old 6th May 2012 | Show parent
  #974
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S ➑️
Re piped drums into the room thru some 811B's.
Sounds large.
Compressed this thru a pair of level-ors.
Nice agressive room sound.
endless possibilities.gotta try that.
the levelors pre or post 811b's?
Old 6th May 2012
  #975
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Post 811's.
my room isnt that big.
The compression adds some size for sure.
Its a more controlled room sound cuz you add
As much overhead/cymbals as you want or dont want.
I havent been wanting much.....
Old 7th May 2012
  #976
Lives for gear
 
Keith Moore's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S ➑️
Post 811's.
my room isnt that big.
The compression adds some size for sure.
Its a more controlled room sound cuz you add
As much overhead/cymbals as you want or dont want.
I havent been wanting much.....
Hey Rob,

Do you have any pics of your studio?
Old 7th May 2012
  #977
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
There arent any pictures of the space at rest.
Its all in the heat of battle.
Old 7th May 2012 | Show parent
  #978
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S ➑️
Hooked up to the recapped phase linear
We are definitely hitting aome 70's strides.
Phase Linear. There's a name I heard many Moons ago. Massive Torroidals. A 400 or a 700 ?
Old 7th May 2012
  #979
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Its a 400.
Recapped power supply with massive oversized filter caps.
Those phase linears sound really good.
Nice bottom.
On the hunt for a 700 now.

We did shootouts with the classic tube mccintosh, home brew with EL34's,
The yamaha 2201, adcom gfa 555, audio research, hafler p5000 and a bryston 3B
Defineitely all over the board as far as power and quality.
In the end , really liked the phase......
Old 7th May 2012 | Show parent
  #980
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Howda adcom fair? Gotta 545 in my home set up. Also still have a 535 that was a real powerhouse for a 60w ch amp (them big caps!), was my first 'hi-fi' purchase when I was about 19.
Old 7th May 2012
  #981
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
It sounded pretty good until it blew up.
Dodnt have the bottom that the phase had.
The adcom is Very well made.
Old 7th May 2012
  #982
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
The UBK-1 is a very awesome plug in.
Pretty deep.
Old 8th May 2012 | Show parent
  #983
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S ➑️
The UBK-1 is a very awesome plug in. Pretty deep.
Deep? That's not a word you hear much to describe a Plug-in. Good to hear. He is a fascinating guy. Unique outlook and approach.
Old 8th May 2012
  #984
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Ive had the ubk1 for one day and already it is scattered across the mix a various capacities as both a practical problem Solver and/or a sound shaping tone maker enhancer.
I'm mixing a project that i didnt record and There are alot of tracks that are sonically 80% and kinda digi nasty.
The UBK has really helped make these more pleasing.
Its deep because you have three different ways of addressing the effect and they are all
Capable of subtlety/or not and all do different things.
Salt pepper sugar.
The internal headroom setting is a great idea and i wish all plug ins would have it.
This is real good.
Old 8th May 2012 | Show parent
  #985
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
I love that plug in.
it can take a single cheapo mic over the snare and make the whole drum sound if you want.Greg's a good guy..we were doing some down and dirty old school 3 cheap mic drum[think Sonics,etc] recording at my place last week.[fvck fidelity]
good hang
Old 8th May 2012 | Show parent
  #986
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S ➑️
Its a 400.
Recapped power supply with massive oversized filter caps.
Those phase linears sound really good.
Nice bottom.
hey Rob! Ha! Had a couple 400's on my keyboard rigs in the late 70's/early 80's I believe. Good times! I blew up more speakers that I can count with those guys. Even when fused. LOL But they SOUNDED awesome. Finally switched to something safer for live gigs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S ➑️
The UBK-1 is a very awesome plug in.
Pretty deep.
It is indeed. Quite awesome IMO. Been using it since the beta late last year, and it's ending up on almost all my projects now. Very cool architecture.

Nice to chat / see ya around these parts. BTW, talked to Michael the other day. He's coming out with the K47H LDC head for 012's in June. Don't know if you've got his modded 012's or not, but I'm looking forward to that. Although I love the size of them on the 603 bodies (which I hate with their stock SDC caps), I always wondered how they would sound on Oktava's. Anyway, nice to see you pop in here. Always something interesting....

cheers,

bp
Old 9th May 2012
  #987
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Micheal already modded my 012's and the large 33mm diaphragm heads as well.
I wish he would make that prototype mic that he built into the219 body.
Remember that thing from a couple of years ago?
I bug him every once and awhile about it.
That was a bad ass mic.
Old 9th May 2012 | Show parent
  #988
Gear Guru
 
drBill's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S ➑️
Micheal already modded my 012's and the large 33mm diaphragm heads as well.
I wish he would make that prototype mic that he built into the219 body.
Remember that thing from a couple of years ago?
I bug him every once and awhile about it.
That was a bad ass mic.
Cool. I really like the modded 012's - especially the omni capsules, but the cards are nice as well. BUT, I've always liked his K47H screw on heads, but they were not the right thread pitch to fit the Oktava's. But he's resolved that with a new capsule head made especially for the oktava's. So I'll get to try those out.

re: The silver ghost. Oh yeah, I remember that mic well. I never got to actually USE that mic, but I know you picked it out of a pretty nice mic line up if I remember correctly. I don't know EXACTLY what was going on under the hood, but I suspect it had the standard PE219 mods, and then he dropped in one of his K47 capsules. Then again, maybe it was frankensteined up from scratch. did you ever open it up when you had it?

If it's basically a 219 with k47 capsule, the 012's with a K47H head on them might be close. I kind of feel like all the Oktava's have that sort of "woody" sound to them. Once I can land a pair, you're welcome to try them for awhile to see if they come close to the silver prototype in your mindseye. Actually, maybe I can get him to send it out for a drum OH/vocal shootout between a 012/K47H and silver prototype.

Then, after we both done listening, you can just keep it and tell him you're not giving it back - but you'll be happy to pay for it. I'd be willing to bet he's not using it...too busy making mics and modding them. LOL

I'll let you know when I get em if you're interested in checking them out.

cheers,

bp
Old 9th May 2012 | Show parent
  #989
Gear Maniac
 
broadscotch's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S ➑️
The internal headroom setting is a great idea and i wish all plug ins would have it.
I was thinking this when we first got it here, great concept. It lets the experimentation flow a bit more.
Old 10th May 2012
  #990
Lives for gear
 
rob S's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Yeah, i am curious what the difference is between my joly modded RTT M3 heads vs the MJK47.
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 1181 views: 269646
Avatar for AynRandFan
AynRandFan 1 week ago
replies: 295 views: 75931
Avatar for anguswoodhead
anguswoodhead 26th March 2013
replies: 127 views: 12952
Avatar for kiopo
kiopo 2nd October 2012
replies: 1296 views: 185556
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump