Quantcast
Mics & Preamps for Vocal Recording (Hip Hop) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mics & Preamps for Vocal Recording (Hip Hop)
Old 19th May 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Mics & Preamps for Vocal Recording (Hip Hop)

Hello Everyone,

I am brand new to gear slutz. I am an upcoming hip hop artist from Connecticut. I am currently in the process of buying equipment to build a studio. One thing I hear a lot of people say is having a good Mic and Mic Preamp.

With That Said

1. What are your top five suggestions for Mic's under $1000

2. What are your top five suggestions for Mic Pre-Amps under $1000

3. What else do you feel is essential to building your own home studio set-up?

Please help!

Thank You!
Old 19th May 2012
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeIsBigPat ➑️
Hello Everyone,

I am brand new to gear slutz. I am an upcoming hip hop artist from Connecticut. I am currently in the process of buying equipment to build a studio. One thing I hear a lot of people say is having a good Mic and Mic Preamp.

With That Said

Please help!

Thank You!
Welcome on GS!
First of all let me tell you that all these matters are rather subjective to a certain extent (even if it's true that you might need a good mic and a good preamp for a good recording chain)..
They're subjective simply because if a song has a great songwriting/lyrics it doesn't matter (always to a certain extent) how it was recorded.. It will always be great. Also depends on the genre.. you don't want pristine and clean sounds when doing punk-hardcore stuff.. you might want dirty and distorted stuff and these sounds might be reached in an unorthodoxical way.. Or with gear that might be less than the holy grail of the recording industry (thinking to radioschack mics etc)...or the opposite..recording a classical orchestra with radioshack mics might not be the right approach.. you get my point, right? So it depends, it's personal..

Regarding the mics.. If it's for your vocals (I guess) sometimes is not a matter of price.. an 300$ SM7 might be better than a 10k U47 for a certain vocal or application..even if the U47 is a great mic.. The only way for you to find out what's the best mic FOR YOU is to test the mics with your vocals (asking some dealers to ship you the mics or testing them out in some studios near you).
For (hiphop) vocals (I don't record hiphop usually, but it happened) I might suggest you these mics:

Violet Design Black Knight (don't be fooled by its price..nice mic)
Violet Design Amethyst Vintage (used should be found for 1k)
Violet Design Globe Standard or Vintage (used, maybe a bit more than 1k, stunning mic though)
Brauner Classic (very clear and detailed)
Some Beesneez offerings like the Elly or the James in the studio series
Milab DC96-B (you might find this little mic ridicoulous, but I recorded some great r'n'b vocals with it)
AKG 414 uls (the old one not the new) it's a classic
AKG 535 (nice mic)
If you want something different you might want to try some ribbons (like AEA or the Coles.. really big and fat sounding..not for every style/vocals).

Preamps:

Again it all depends what you're looking for.. I love the Avedis MA5 and it's my "go to" mic pre for vocals.. So..
Avedis MA5 + a rack of some sorts like API or Adesigns (should slightly more than 1k new, but you could check the used market). hiend preamp at an incredible price!
BAE DMP, again an incredible preamp, same preamp card found in their 10xx series for 1k it's really hard to beat (you also get a killer DI!).

These two will be my pick for vocal recording and for the price you listed. You can't find a better preamp (speaking about the quality parts used, since sound might be subjective) for this price. Btw they sound stellar.
If you want to stay on the clean side there's the Forssell smp500 (also 500 series, so you need some sort of rack for powering it up)..it a nice preamp, a little bit more expensive though..
Maybe you could find in the used marked a John Hardy M1 preamp (it's also modular) but for 1 channel you might be able to find it for about 1k or slightly less.
You can't go wrong with any of these..They're are at the top of the hiend preamps IME and IMHO.. Even if you might like something different.

To answer your third question.. treat your room properly.. This will have the biggest impact on the sound after the talent involved/vocalist and the mic used. Learn how to place the mics and proper gain staging your chain (when you'll have one). Try to assist in some studios near you to learn some basics and some good tricks..

Get a decent interface to begin with like an RME UCX or at least a Babyface.. Which sounds good, are very stable and work for both mac and pc.
Buy once but good! heh

I hope this helps you somehow,

Cheu

P.S.: fwiw you could read the review of some mics and the MA5 in the reviews section on GS.. Below my avatar there's the direct link to all these.
Old 19th May 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hello Everyone,

With That Said

Please help!

Thank You!

Top five mics under $1000 - AKG C414, Shure SM7b, Mojave Audio M200, Shure KSM 44, AT 4047

Top five preamps under $1000 - Great River ME 1NV, Universal Audio 610, Daking Mic Pre One, Dav BG1, maybe you could look into the new Focusrite ISA Two

The essentials are creativity, the willingness to experiment, the desire to create something great, persistence and faith in the Lord.
Old 9th January 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thank You!
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks! I appreciate the feedback!
Old 9th January 2014
Baz
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
prizebeatz gave you great, simple, concise advise. Run with that and welcome.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
What about the ISA One Preamp? How is that? and How is the TLM 103? I was thinking about getting those two. I am into hip hop

Here is one of my videos so you have an idea of what i sound like.

Big Pat - Hennessy (Official Video) - YouTube

Thank You!
Old 9th January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
You will prob need an interface so u can get ur vocals into ur computer

I had a tlm for a long time it's great but sometimes a little harsher on higher pitched vocals.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I currently have pro tools 9 8x8 mbox
Old 9th January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I concur with Prizebeatz1. He has given you some excellent concise advice.
Old 9th January 2014
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
An ISA One and a Rode K2 will get you a good combo with your budget.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
With the focusrite ISA Two, wouldn't I need a converter for that? Since I am running it off the the Protools MBox.
Old 17th February 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hello Everyone,

With That Said

1. What are your top five suggestions for Mic's under $1000 - Blue Bluebird, Blue Baby Bottle, MXL Genesis, Shure SM7, Shure SM57/58 - all of these are $500 and under, and for 600 you can get the tube version of the Genesis. Get a couple mics at this price point rather than dropping $1000 for a mic. Only you will be able to decide what sounds good and what doesn't.

i use the presonus studio channel on almost everything, can be found for only a couple hundred bucks. Do you have a quality audio interface? If not, that's definitely something to invest in. And you might be better off dropping 1000-1500 for a unit with good preamps and A/D conversion. I'd recommend a couple budget external preamps in addition to built-in pres so you can have a couple different flavors rather than just one expensive preamp. I'd go with the MOTU 896 mk3 hybrid if you want to have the extra channels, or the MOTU ultra-lite hybrid if you just want two channels and to save a few bucks. I use the Joe Meek Three-Q from time to time, and so far so good, but I haven't had a chance to put it through the rigors. Also, for $40, you might as well pick up the A.R.T. tube studio - its not the highest quality, but for the price... why not??? Its got some noise when you crank it to a usable level unless you're recording a loud source. I like it on overdriven guitar amps.

Save some money where you can on mics and preamps, as there are a number of good affordable options. Use that money and build a vocal booth or at least some acoustic treatment for your room.

Please help!

Thank You!
πŸ“ Reply