Quantcast
Why are japanese teles so good? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why are japanese teles so good?
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Why are japanese teles so good?

I have tried most of the american made telecasters (new) but to me a japanese made tele (new) sounds much better, not when comparing all pickup positions, but when comparing the best pickup position in each. I'm just curious, what is the reason why a tele guitar that is half the price of a USA model sounds twice as good?!
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
The technology may be cheaper... also they may be mass producing the models. All of this applies to the overall price of the product.
Old 2nd June 2006
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Because the Japanese love getting things right?
Years ago I tried several different Fender '57 reissue Strats. I noticed all the ones that I liked were the Japanese version, not the American made version.
I bought an excellent Japanese version that comes very close to my original '57!
Old 2nd June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by (DC)
The technology may be cheaper... also they may be mass producing the models. All of this applies to the overall price of the product.
Ok, are you now referring to the Japanese or American made teles? The Japanese made teles are cheaper, but in case the technology in the Japanese made telecasters is cheaper then what makes them better sounding? Are they made of a better sounding material?!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyjfk
Because the Japanese love getting things right?
Years ago I tried several different Fender '57 reissue Strats. I noticed all the ones that I liked were the Japanese version, not the American made version.
I bought an excellent Japanese version that comes very close to my original '57!
Lucky you, I have a great sounding USA made strat myself, however, I won't allow myself to try a japanese made strat after that purchase... heh
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowStorm
I have tried most of the american made telecasters (new) but to me a japanese made tele (new) sounds much better, not when comparing all pickup positions, but when comparing the best pickup position in each. I'm just curious, what is the reason why a tele guitar that is half the price of a USA model sounds twice as good?!
Chances are someone has already said this but -- they're all pretty much made in the same places. There are a very limited number of people making picture tubes and more and more production under subcontract from other nameplates.

I don't know -- but I would be moderately surprised if most Japanese TVs weren't made in offshore facilities. Heaven knows there hasn't been a production TV manufactured in the US in decades.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
'62 reissue here, Japanese made, $525 used, I love the thing. But I did put a different bridge p'up in.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Both my '62 Custom Tele and my '54 Esquire reissues (see photos in Tele thread) were made in Japan in 1985, when Fender USA had no domestic production.

They have remained my favorites despite countless opportunities to replace them with newer, USA or Mexican models. I think the Japanese are the best at detailed copy production, I don't know why...it may be cultural.

Fender Japan....Sugoi!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
TheBlue1:

I use to work for Sony in San Diego (roughly 4 years ago). We produced roughly 25,000+ TVs out of they're massive 16 warehouse compound daily. The overhead was extremely high, and given Japanese business ethics, I'm suprised they've kept these warehouses open. I belive the monthly overhead was floating somewhere round $9 mill! These same 16 buildings are where Playstations, Sony Viao laptops, and many of Dell and Apples monitors are built.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
They're sexy too.

Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I have an ESP Tele that is fantastic!! Better than most of the Fenders I played before I found the ESP.

Why? Don't know.
Gear Guru
My Jap Rosewood "Let it Be" Telecaster cost $1400 new before it was discontinued. Very fine quality. My Muddy Waters Mexican Tele is of the same quality. My original Squire Strat made in the Ibanez factory is also very good.

I've also seen crap from the same places, it comes down to individual wood pieces, not where it's assembled. No rules here, no guarentees.

Crap can come from anywhere.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
That's the statement of today... Yeah, you might be right, I think it's weird that I found a Japanese tele I didn't want to let the grip off when thinking of the fact that I had at least 6-12 different teles in front of me (most of the USA made)... As far as I know, looking back, it's the best sounding guitar I've ever heard (my USA strat was several feet away, I think I for some time totally forgot it was laying there...!) I should have bought THAT tele...!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
My Jap Rosewood "Let it Be" Telecaster cost $1400 new before it was discontinued. Very fine quality. My Muddy Waters Mexican Tele is of the same quality. My original Squire Strat made in the Ibanez factory is also very good.

I've also seen crap from the same places, it comes down to individual wood pieces, not where it's assembled. No rules here, no guarentees.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Speaking of which, Jim, what would it cost me to get you to pull the master tapes for Cyndi Lauper's "All Through The Night" and have you Autotune that horrendous vocal and make a mix just for me? I love the song but Cyndi's so out of tune it drives me insane!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
Speaking of which, Jim, what would it cost me to get you to pull the master tapes for Cyndi Lauper's "All Through The Night" and have you Autotune that horrendous vocal and make a mix just for me? I love the song but Cyndi's so out of tune it drives me insane!!
I think you've mistaken Jim for William Wittman.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…