Quantcast
Is LA still in the 80's - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is LA still in the 80's
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Is LA still in the 80's

seems that theres a lot of guys still dressing , listening , playing etc like if still the 80s in LA.

you know, the black tshirts w metallicas ride the lightning logo , black boots.
listening and talking aBOUT skid row, aNd other metal bands.

it was really noticible on last namm convention in LA, when i though i was in a guns or metallica concert in 1987. and when everyone is still holding a guitar looking for a drummer and a bass player to form the next rock band. as well as engineers only wanting to track rock bands and calling it real music.

i mean, NY moved to a hiphop culture along with the rest of the east coast(not some suthern states), europe moved to a more electronic vibe/with real intruments. latin america (sadly) to more of a regeton thing as well as hiphop and electronica. of course this more of a generalization as in south america/east coast etc rock is still found, as well as jazz and regional stuff but at a lesser scale nowadays compare to the 80s and 90s.

is LA stuck in the 80's ? maybe seattle is still stuck in grunge scene ?( i havnt been there ) and watever era was big in a region is still going strong. ? nashville used to have a strong rock scene but country has grown bigger. or is it that LA doesnt wanna let go to the metal ..

not dissing the culture in LA just trying to see if its too much 80s going around and thats THE culture and therefor music flows that way or is it that its only a small % of poeple still going for that and the rest moved to something else.
whats the scene in your town?
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
[QUOTE=gsilbers]

it was really noticible on last namm convention in LA, when i though i was in a guns or metallica concert in 1987. and when everyone is still holding a guitar looking for a drummer and a bass player to form the next rock band. as well as engineers only wanting to track rock bands and calling it real music.
\
QUOTE]

we like our rock
Old 30th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Thank god for anyone that still rocks!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This "LA stuck in the 80s vibe" is one of the first things I noticed when I moved out here six years ago. Of course, some of it's kitsch and 20-somethings turning it into their retro-cool. But, some of it seems to be a white-knuckle grasp onto the golden years when LA embodied 80's extravagance and wealth and rock, baby!

Lastly, LA is a town that fosters suspended adolescence more than any town I've experienced. So, some of these 80's-loving 40-somethings are still lingering in their 20s developmentally. And why not? It can pay in an industry culture that feeds off youth worship.

I dig LA a lot. Always entertaining, both intentionally and not.
SK1
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah alot of people that we're in bands in the 80's have switched to production.

Anyone remember FM station is North Hollywood ?? When I first moved here that place had me LMFAO !!! Big hair baby ! And the girls we're real slutty

Now the 80's crowd hangs out at Palidino's in Reseda ... occasionally ......
pretty funny heh

But I would say the trend for rock now, is a bunch of bands TRYING to sound like Tool, Incubus, Green Day, or Lincoln Park .....

Hip hip and other styles are a whole different story ....

Rember L.A. is very spread out ..... if you've seen 300 local bands that's just the tip of the iceburg.

I'm looking for a latin jazz band to record. There's alot of variety out here.
(if you know how to look for it)
SK1
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Oh yeah ... here's what I noticed most moving from the northeast in 92

Blondes
Fake blondes
Breast implants
80's vibe
65 mustangs and the such with original paint and no rust !
lots of vw bugs
fake blondes, with breast implants, driving mercedes, while talking on the cell phone
many,many beautiful foreign chicks ( my favorite )
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Some of it is hipster retro gag. Like Ozzy t-shirts with gems on them for $250 at Fred Segal.

But some of it is 'stuck'. Like people dancing (dancing?) to Greatwhitesnake at the Rainbow.
Old 31st May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
Some of it is hipster retro gag. Like Ozzy t-shirts with gems on them for $250 at Fred Segal.

WHAAAAAAAAAATTTT??!!!!! $250 bucks... damn !! i should make one but with the misfits ... poison.. warrant!!! get some doh to buy gear
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Black has always been the dress de rigeur at NAMM.
Kinda funny it's so obvious.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The L.A. Rock scene and wearing black was a 70's thing. Some tried to keep it alive in the eighties, but it was already over. I was there. I watched it die.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well, if you can keep my wife out of Fred Segal then I wouldn't have to look like this.
Old 31st May 2006
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I was at the last LA NAMM (Anaheim) and it was certainly my sense that most of the people there were pretty square -- but it was also my impression that most of the people there were either merchandisers or mom and pop music store folks from around the country.

There are certainly pockets of left-behind culture around the LA environs.

But there are a lot of folks who simply reject what is typically called the "trendy bull****" of LA "industry types." (Who I thought looked supremely unhip a quarter century ago and who don't seem to have changed much.) There are a lot of people, I think, who consider being anti-"Hollywood" (as in anti-showbiz/industry type) a baseline of hip.

But if you're judging putative hipness by the adoption of hip hop culture, I'd think maybe your own yardstick may be a little worn from use over the last couple decades. heh

PS... yeah... there are also irony-drenched waves of retro-cool... but, trust me, we'd all get froze out of any of those celebrations of kitsch... it's one thing to celebrate it... it's another thing to see an original product of the era face to face in your underground watering hole.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernier
The L.A. Rock scene and wearing black was a 70's thing. Some tried to keep it alive in the eighties, but it was already over. I was there. I watched it die.
wouldnt know about that. i always saw metal, death metal, grind core watever metal.. to have been from the 80s except for black sabath iron butterfly. but thats before my time.

but in LA the whole glamour rock, big hair ala warrant seemed to have been huge. as it was around the globe in the 80s and early 90s with its top band being guns&roses and...hmm who else... skid row... poison...slaughter those wherent that big around the planet. metallica was huge but became more popular only after the black album.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
........."seems that theres a lot of guys still dressing , listening , playing etc like if still the 80s in LA...."

I think there's a city ordinance that you can only look like that within a small area on Sunset. Illegal everywere else.

I thought Namm looked pretty tame. Each year, everyone's looking more and more like it's 1962 again. The few guys I saw dressed in 80's getup and shoe-polish black hair looked like they were about 110 years old.

Speaking of the 80's in La, I wonder if there are any of those bazillion long-hair-rocks haircut places still in biz. I don't remember where I used to see them advertised but they were everywhere. What with the hairspray and extensions, anyone could look like Motley Crue in about a half hour.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
well, i went to namm on thus, fri and sunday... sunday was the day that looked like an 80s rock fest.. guys dressed in kiss outfits, ozzy look alikes , guys dressed with the ripped pale jeans and blacktshirts.. almost like a uniform.

and i wanst saying that the other side of the coin is hiphop culture if its not rock. and not dising on either scene. both are fine but theres tons more.

is there any seattle slutz around here or someone who lived there who tell if grunge is still alive and well upthere?

whats the scene in diferent parts of canada? and in australia?

what do poeple play at clubs, types and frequency of concerts, best selling genre?
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I maybe the wrong person to be throwing stones, as I'm a 35 year old Gary Numan/Human League/Cars nut who plays in a semi-famous 80's new wave band, but yeah, when I go to Hollywood I'm stunned by the number of metal dudes are totally stuck in that era. I guess it's ok to like what you like, but there's TONS of these guys playing the Sunset Strip clubs who really believe that Mr. Label bigwig is going to walk in and give them that million dollar record deal just like Crue dude...

They all go to see Metal School (highly amusing metal parody cover band) on Monday nights, but I always wonder if they realize that the joke is on them. I think they don't understand that it's a joke and they think the band is honestly trying to bring back the metal.

I think a lot of them are transplants from podunk towns in the midwest... the heavy metal parking lot crowd that just don't know any better. And the rest of them are over forty and just never accepted that the scene died. For a while I was seeing some of these guys make their way into the goth scene... I guess they still had a lot of black clothes and it was the next closest thing!

mitchell
Harmless Wacko

🎧 15 years
I'm thinking that a trade show for gear nerds... even MUSIC GEAR(as opposed to recording gear) is probably NOT the best indicator of a city's "music scene fashion sense".

I'd check the rehersal halls, garages, basements and beaches.

In a pinch you could even go to the clubs.

All 3 of them.

Ahh me.

Sorry. Day from hell.

HOHOHO.

Best regards,

Slippy

🎧 15 years
It's a rule that if you are a washed up want-to-be 80's glam rocker with a hot looking blonde with big breasts that you MUST go to Namm!... every want-to-be and never-was rock star is there, I love it!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperman
I'm thinking that a trade show for gear nerds... even MUSIC GEAR(as opposed to recording gear) is probably NOT the best indicator of a city's "music scene fashion sense".

I'd check the rehersal halls, garages, basements and beaches.

In a pinch you could even go to the clubs.

All 3 of them.

Ahh me.

Sorry. Day from hell.

HOHOHO.

Best regards,

Slippy

the namm was only one example. ive been to parties ,clubs and recorded bands in LA all with that 80s rock vibe aforementioned.
but maybe thats me in my circle, thats why the trhead is ... is LA still in the 80s?
trying to see if others say that too.

i heard san fran is more of a place.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It's all about fashion and nostalgia out here and there is a lot of profit to be made from it.

What's really frightening is the point, at which the actual event takes place and the time it takes for nostalgia to catch-up.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
metal skool! Best hair solo ever!!!!!!

Andy
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Bring back the glory days!!!!

You know it's coming back hard.

You gotta figure the 90's were just
a sloppier version of the 70's.
now this era will be a sloppier version of the 80's

what comes around goes around......................
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
LA also has a huge indie scene..the whole silverlake crowd is definitely not 80's.

Metal School has been a hit out there for a while now though...damn.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
About a year ago, I drove past the House of Blues and noticed that W.A.S.P. was playing...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wasn't NAMM in Anaheim?! Not exactly the cultural barometer for the City of Los Angeles.

*adjusting my bandanna and grabbing a back up can of Aqua Net as I head out the door for another bottle of JD*

Stuck in the 80's...jeez.

Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Tokyo has been 80's since the 80's.
I bet Grunge is gonna come back.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I would ONLY go to NAMM for humor value. Guys with shiny shirts and ponytails playing key-tars in front of 56" plasma TVs with Janet Jackson headsets on... running 56 instances of a virtual orchestra plugin. It sure makes getting laid easier for the rest of the human race.
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloocproducer
I would ONLY go to NAMM for humor value. Guys with shiny shirts and ponytails playing key-tars in front of 56" plasma TVs with Janet Jackson headsets on... running 56 instances of a virtual orchestra plugin. It sure makes getting laid easier for the rest of the human race.

Ah the Key-Tar.......wow what an abortion.....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
NAMM really isn't representative of what's going on here in LA. There's that whole rock and roll Sunset Strip/Rainbow Room/Whisky thing, but if you get into South Central or other areas of the city I think you'll find a pretty big hip hop scene. There's a lot of Latin music here too. LA is a really big place and is spread out, unlike NYC which is really big but compact.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
[QUOTE=Methlab]LA also has a huge indie scene..the whole silverlake crowd is definitely not 80's.

QUOTE]

uh yeah they are..I haven't been to the clubs for about 7 months thank god but I was in the clubs constantly before on the east side and all the hip kids are all dressing and sounding like the early 80's.
πŸ“ Reply