Roth predicts Van Halen comeback - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roth predicts Van Halen comeback
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Roth predicts Van Halen comeback

DETROIT (Billboard) - Now that he's lost his radio job,
David Lee Roth is seeking gainful employment in another capacity -- as lead singer of Van Halen. Again.

"I see it absolutely as an inevitability," says Roth, who was deposed by CBS Radio in late April as one of Howard Stern's replacements. "There's contact between the two camps, and they have legitimate management; Irv Azoff is part of their loop now.
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
(yawn)...
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Talbot
Yikes - I know twenty-plus years is a long time, but he REALLY looks finished; almost like a completely different person
Yeah can U believe this finished guy had a mother/daughter groupie tag team?
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yikes - I know twenty-plus years is a long time, but he REALLY looks finished;

Keith Richards is still at it. . .
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yikes - I know twenty-plus years is a long time, but he REALLY looks finished; almost like a completely different person
I agree, but I'd still like to see it happen. I was too young to ever see him with Van Halen.
Old 30th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
That's what happens when you live that kind of lifestyle and treat your body like sh!t. I'm 32 and I look like I'm 23, because I don't smoke, rarely drink, don't do drugs, try to get as much sleep as I can and generally organize my life to be as stress-free as possible. Hence no wrinkles or any of the signs of aging.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
That's what happens when you live that kind of lifestyle and treat your body like sh!t. I'm 32 and I look like I'm 23, because I don't smoke, rarely drink, don't do drugs, try to get as much sleep as I can and generally organize my life to be as stress-free as possible. Hence no wrinkles or any of the signs of aging.
Well preserved and dull as a door nail.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
DLR in better daysheh
Attached Thumbnails
Roth predicts Van Halen comeback-isaac25_11_big.jpg  
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
The only person with "gainful emlyment" in DLR's life right now is his plastic surgeon.

Taking Howard Stern's timeslot and subsequently being canned has caused gim to grasp at straws.

Sad really.
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
He looks like the goblin from Harry Potter....

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Who cares what he looks like? Can he still sing the songs is what I'm wondering....
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERNIGHT
Well preserved and dull as a door nail.
It's not that dull when girls in their early 20's think you are their age and hit on you (as opposed to leathery old cougars)
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
It's not that dull when girls in their early 20's think you are their age and hit on you (as opposed to leathery old cougars)
actually, girls in their twenties would rather men in their 30's. its 45ish year old women who want 23 year old guys . go get em tiger !
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by De chromium cob
Who cares what he looks like? Can he still sing the songs is what I'm wondering....

i worked with him less than 2 years ago and he sang his ass off, he was a great guy and completely professional.
also, he didn't look anything like that picture, he looked much better.
-jeff
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
I suspect that's a bad picture, the media doesn't pull out the good stuff when they're happily reporting on someone else's failure.

Still, when he had that "Slam Dunk" piece of crap song on the radio a while back he was already losing his abilities, I don't know if it's improved?

War
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead
I suspect that's a bad picture, the media doesn't pull out the good stuff when they're happily reporting on someone else's failure.

That is true. Just check out all the celebrity pictures on the tabloids in supermarket check out line. I think they actually re-touch the photos to make them look worse.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Diamond Dave is 52... not 32.

How many 52 year old groundbreaking / borderline burn-out rock stars do you know?
Dave already made his mark in history, he is one of rocks greatest frontmans for one of rocks greatest bands...

What spirit!

Dave has my ultimate respect...
Of course anything he does now looks like grasping.. he was once on top of the world. Pe
I hope he gets whatever he needs to finds his peace.

Much Respect
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Given the number of aging rock groups back on the road again, I'd not be suprised at a revised tour.

Both Dave & Eddie could use some refreshment in their lives after a lot of bad press, doncha think?

The 50+ year old moms at the shows will be um.... scary, at best?

JvB
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I was one of the biggest Van Halen fans ever with all versions of the band, I've had the opportunity to meet and talk with all of them except Dave and Alex. I just don't know how I feel about this (if its true).

I think Dave is probably grasping at straws.

I saw them on the very first show of the last tour (Greensboro,NC) and was somewhat disappointed. The playing was sloppy, and the marketing/sales machine was so over the top that it absolutely felt like they were only doing it for the money. Also they almost did the tour without Michael (who supposedly took a paycut to do the tour).

Bands like the Rolling Stones seem to have gotten better with age. As much as I'd like to think the same could be true for Van Halen, I'm just not sure the right motivation would be behind it to make that possible. It should be about the music and I know that they can't stand Dave, so I don't see how it could be worth doing unless it is only about the money. That would just be disappointing for the rest of us.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If the Van Halen thing doesn't work out for him he should be on VH1's "Supergroup 2".
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by De chromium cob
I think I know what you mean, but could he ever really sing..??

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge
DLR in better daysheh
Classic!!

Dave looks like a spring chicken compared to EVH. Let me see if I can find a nice picture...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
WOW..!!
Attached Thumbnails
Roth predicts Van Halen comeback-eddie_van_halen1.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Attached Thumbnails
Roth predicts Van Halen comeback-halen20cover20pic.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
holy mortality.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Man, they were the wildest thing going back in the day. I remember seeing them on the Fair Warning tour and they opened with Meanstreets. Just one spot on Eddie's hands tapping, foot up on monitor. And then the full lights hit with the riff -- though I was in the 15th row, I felt that David Lee Roth was RIGHT iN MY FACE, haha.

If they did anything today, it would have to be coming from a different place. Not to say it couldn't be done. Look at the Stones, how they've managed to write from a place of middle age and still rock. I just think the wild testestone-fueled VH is way over. Their capacity to shock was also a big part of their persona -- that first kick-off of Running with the Devil was a jawdropper for the time.

With Sammy, they evolved into a more good-time band. Who knows, with a new incarnation with Roth they could evolve into something unexpected again.

But I wouldn't lay money on it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmmrboy
Is that Valerie or Eddie??

Anyway VH is one of the best bands ever
They make cheezy bands like Pearl Jam, Limp Biscuit and The white stripes
look even more rediculous than they really are.

I hope they get back together
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Diamond Dave is cool with me.

I think he showed that being a rock and roll singer can be all about delivery.

He was the archetype for scads of bad singers who followed.

I think he was hilarious. He was the perfect foil for the Wunderkind guitarist.

He told the same joke at every show:

"Last night this girl was pounding on my hotel room door for three hours. So finally I let her out."

He did cop a lot of schtick from Jim Dandy, the singer in Black Oak Arkansas.
Old 30th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Some people complain about modern music sucking, as long as we are concerned about what one looks like, music will fall 2nd. Not to say Van Halen didn't have something to do with that, but they definitely did not fall 2nd musically.

www.bluethumbproductions.com
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Last Thursday I dreamt that they got back together and were awesome. I've never been much of a fan though.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
We should also keep in mind that Eddie has had some serious medical issues and he may not be up for this.
πŸ“ Reply