Quantcast
Help with tape Echo purchase (RE201 or Tubeplex + Spring Reverb) - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help with tape Echo purchase (RE201 or Tubeplex + Spring Reverb)
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Help with tape Echo purchase (RE201 or Tubeplex + Spring Reverb)

I am pretty much giving up on finding a quality Roland RE-201 Space Echo in the Los Angeles area as I've been searching for months (not into E-bay as I don't want a lemon).

I have heard good things about the Tubeplex tape echos and can see the obvious benefits of owning a brand new tape echo.

I am wondering if there is anything specific to the feature set of the RE-201 that I would not be able to reproduce by combining a Tubeplex with a spring reverb?

Feedback appreciated from anyone with experience on both units.

Thanks
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk
I am pretty much giving up on finding a quality Roland RE-201 Space Echo in the Los Angeles area as I've been searching for months (not into E-bay as I don't want a lemon).

I have heard good things about the Tubeplex tape echos and can see the obvious benefits of owning a brand new tape echo.

I am wondering if there is anything specific to the feature set of the RE-201 that I would not be able to reproduce by combining a Tubeplex with a spring reverb?

Feedback appreciated from anyone with experience on both units.

Thanks
check this out...
http://www.fmogearshop.com/detail.php?invID=191
Old 30th May 2006
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
You can't do multi tap delays with an echoplex. It's single repeats only. But you can do much longer delay times with an echoplex / tubeplex, than a space echo. Both have different tonal qualities to them too.
Old 30th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
check out the Fulltone Tube Tape Delay. Lot's of flexibility, great tone and great build.

chap
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I think the Echoplex has a nastier more distorted sound which is great for guitar IMO,
sounds killer running into an amp.
The repeats can be dialed in to sound heavier than what the RE201 does.

The RE's have a more subtle sound with variable types of delays you can select. The spring reverb on it does have its own 'sound' but at the end of the day I don't think anyone would notice between say an RE spring sound, Fender amp spring etc

You can't go wrong with either on guitar I think,

Buying a new tape echo could save you repair headaches. I once had an RE201 blow a motor - it was no fun finding a replacement, I got probably one of the last in Europe from some warehouse in Belgium.

Tough call - with crazy used prices what they are , if I were in the market today I'd seriously consider something new,
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the feedback guys.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chap
check out the Fulltone Tube Tape Delay. Lot's of flexibility, great tone and great build.

chap
Agree- wish I had two.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

chap
A little birdie told me those are the Echoplex RI from 5 or 6 years ago that no one bought cause they were "crap"; Mr Fulltone just repackaged em. Now people are willing to shell out $1000 for one cause it says "Fulltone" on the side.

I couldn't testify as to the sound, I'm sure they're great. Just commenting I guess.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've never heard that but I have heard that Fulltone spent a lot of money on R&D
to make these units quieter and more reliable. So far, it's worked.
I spent money on it because it works, not because it's got 'Fulltone' on it.
That doesn't hurt it though.

cheers,

chap
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi JP,

I assume you're looking on the LA Craigslist? It seems to me I've seen a couple Space Echos up there in the last month or so. One was so cheap I almost bought it from Chicago.

Best of luck.

Eben
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALL*MYTEE
Hi JP,

I assume you're looking on the LA Craigslist? It seems to me I've seen a couple Space Echos up there in the last month or so. One was so cheap I almost bought it from Chicago.

Best of luck.

Eben
Yeah, I've even had a wanted ad up for a couple of months. I've seen an RE-150 and 101 for sale but havn't seen any 201's. Hope I didn't miss a great deal.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Kuhnley
A little birdie told me those are the Echoplex RI from 5 or 6 years ago that no one bought cause they were "crap"; Mr Fulltone just repackaged em. Now people are willing to shell out $1000 for one cause it says "Fulltone" on the side.

I couldn't testify as to the sound, I'm sure they're great. Just commenting I guess.
That's quite an accusation. Probably best to quote something more than a 'little birdie' when spreading a rumour that serious. I would like to know if this is true, do you have a reliable source? Anyone else heard this?

Thanks
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The Fulltone sounds great, works great, is dead quiet. I got a used one btw and it's been rock solid. I'm not a guitar player, the word 'Fulltone' doesn't mean much to me- I bought it because of the way it sounds.

I've never heard that accusation before either but the word "crap" definitely doesn't apply to the TTE imho. Sounds like bs to be honest.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've owned and use "The Plex" for a couple of years now. I bought it to replace my Echoplex EP-3, a great sounding, but noisey and unreliable piece of gear. I paid for "The Plex" with what I got for the EP-3. It's my understanding "The Plex" is a copy of the original EP-1 tube Echoplex and shoudn't be confused with the "Tube Plex" originally sold by Mike Battle, the original EP-1 designer. "The Plex" has a reputation for being hit and miss, and may be the "crap RI" the other poster was referring to. Mine sounds great and I have had no issues with it after 3 years of gigging. It cuts a little of the high end out of the guitar (which might come back if I replaced the tape) and you can hear the transport a little, but not at bar or studio volumes.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi Jazzpunk!

I don't know if it's any good but I just stumbled into this tape echo yesterday on the web! http://www.hiwatt.com/data/HiwattFX.html

At least, as I'm a very humble person and you're looking for a tape delay, I can give you the link so you can check it out yourself.

/Cojo
Old 1st June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzpunk
That's quite an accusation. Probably best to quote something more than a 'little birdie' when spreading a rumour that serious. I would like to know if this is true, do you have a reliable source? Anyone else heard this?

Thanks
It's not an accusation at all. I'm not trying to spread rumors either...my "source" wouldn't confirm this if I asked them to, as they enjoy doing buisness with Fulltone. Who wouldn't? Their FX sound great and sell extremely well. Personally, I just find it interesting that *possibly* the same product consumers rejected as junk, can be sold for an ABSURD amount of money with a differant name on it based on nothing more than rumors and marketing hype. I don't doubt that it sounds great and all that...I just find the situation interesting. If you see my considerations as an accusation, they are withdrawn.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
sometimes, a little insinuation can be misconstrued.
Something to think about when a fine designer and builder's rep. could
suffer from 'a little bird'. Speculation should be described as just that - speculation.
The proof is in the performance of the unit. Stellar.

chap
Gear Guru

the Hiwatt CTE is very cool. Solid build, quiet, can be driven hard, very nice.
Old 2nd June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
The proof is in the performance of the unit.
Agreed.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It's settled. Man Law.
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
anyone familiar wth the ace tone ec10? What can I do to service this thing?
Old 3rd June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the input. I found a place here in L.A. that services the Space Echos so went ahead and bought one off of eBay. As long as the motor isn't DOA I should be fine.

Next purchase is a 301 then a Tubeplex and then I'll check out the Fulltone as well. I don't think I'll feel slutty enough until I have all of them.

Which one to buy...what was I thinking?!
πŸ“ Reply