most insanely huge slutty purchases! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
most insanely huge slutty purchases!
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
most insanely huge slutty purchases!

That you've heard about/been part of.
Like, so-and-so buys 43 U47's or 180 channels of Prism converters etc etc....

Let's hear it!
Old 27th May 2006
nothing like that but.. i'm saving for a modest chandler rack mixer. it would be the sluttiest thing i own.
Old 27th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I made about half a million in profit on a house in California, moved to Austin and bought a NICER house for $132K, 4runner for 15K and spent the rest on gear.

Including:
1. 32 Channel Daking console
2. Mac G5 w. PTHD, Logic, all the goodies
3. Apogee Rosettas + Big Ben
4. Old LA-2A serial #310
5. ADAM s2.5a's
6. Blue Bottle, U87, and a bunch more mics
7. DW kit
8. Lots of other pre's, comp's guitars, keys, excessive slutty junk

Unfortunately now I'm broke again, but at least I don't have any debt! If I could only get a little cash out of these Austin bands I'd be in good shape.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Hey, are you the guy from Dark City? That was Rufus Sewell...
mds
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm guessing its a different guy. The actor is very successful and probably wouldn't be worrying a whole lot about local bands paying their bills.

Mike
Old 28th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Nah, that dude totally ganked my vibe. Rufuss is my middle name. My full name is Jason Rufuss Sewell. Not too many famous Sewell's out there. Anna Sewell wrote Black Beauty. There's also a Sewell Cadillac dealer in Dallas. So when I was 18 or so and Dark City came out I was very bummed knowing 12 years later I'd still be dealing with these questions. I guess I could just go by Jason, but that's kind of boring huh? Too many Jason's in this world.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don't know about slutty-est bulk buy, but the silly-est must have been that guy who bought 10 liquid channels (or however many it was)!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius van H
I don't know about slutty-est bulk buy, but the silly-est must have been that guy who bought 10 liquid channels (or however many it was)!
that guy?! oh man, we want names.... gossip gossip...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
10 Liquid Channels? Oh man, can you imagine the depreciation on that purchase? Ouch!
Old 29th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geert van den Berg
that guy?! oh man, we want names.... gossip gossip...
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthrea...liquid+channel
Old 29th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I was an assistant at a studio in LA and the owner was attempting to buy as many Neve modules that he could get his hands on. I remember counting 184 at one point.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopamine
I was an assistant at a studio in LA and the owner was attempting to buy as many Neve modules that he could get his hands on. I remember counting 184 at one point.
so that's........ holy crap!!!
then I guess he may need 184 mics to go into all those........
and then, what the hell, 184 musicians to play or sing into those.

but seriously though, where in hell do people get the money for all this??
I know there are some very well rewarded engineers around, but this is "rock star" dough surely!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
http://www.drowninginbrown.com/dib_studio.htm

I couldn't find any specifiic listing but in addition to what you see on the website this guy supposedly has a ridiculously large number of u-47s.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berolzheimer
http://www.drowninginbrown.com/dib_studio.htm

I couldn't find any specifiic listing but in addition to what you see on the website this guy supposedly has a ridiculously large number of u-47s.
like I said.... rock star money!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
[QUOTE=Berolzheimer]http://www.drowninginbrown.com/dib_studio.htm

I couldn't find any specifiic listing but in addition to what you see on the website this guy supposedly has a ridiculously large number of u-47s.[/QUOTE

That guy kicked some ass in Lord of the Rings!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Just go here:

http://www.blackbirdstudio.com/

A fairly recent transition to its current state. Without a doubt the most insane vestige of gear on the planet.

25 Elam 251s?!!!!! You've got to have something to use when you get through the 17 C12s or the 34 U47s. Want stereo? How about 6 C24s? Or 2 of the unbelievably rare and coveted Elam 260s (stereo 251).

Want compression? Will the 6 fairchild 670s do (they've also got 2 660s as well)?

EQ? How about over 30 pultecs of varying models (they actually have more than is listed)?

Mic pres? Around 50 or so channels of Neve modules. That does NOT include the ones in their 72 input 8078 console (just one of many consoles there).

The assistant who recently gave me the walk around there said it best, "Whatever piece of gear you want to use, we'll get it for you." And I believe him.

Oh yeah. The facilities themselves are unbelievable.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosticks
like I said.... rock star money!!
In this case it's wine money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosticks
That guy kicked some ass in Lord of the Rings!
huh?
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Most studios 'Editing Suite' has a computer with Reason and a 002. Blackbird's has an HD3 and a ProControl...now that's what I call slutty!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlc201
Just go here:

http://www.blackbirdstudio.com/

A fairly recent transition to its current state. Without a doubt the most insane vestige of gear on the planet.

25 Elam 251s?!!!!! You've got to have something to use when you get through the 17 C12s or the 34 U47s. Want stereo? How about 6 C24s? Or 2 of the unbelievably rare and coveted Elam 260s (stereo 251).

Want compression? Will the 6 fairchild 670s do (they've also got 2 660s as well)?

EQ? How about over 30 pultecs of varying models (they actually have more than is listed)?

Mic pres? Around 50 or so channels of Neve modules. That does NOT include the ones in their 72 input 8078 console (just one of many consoles there).

The assistant who recently gave me the walk around there said it best, "Whatever piece of gear you want to use, we'll get it for you." And I believe him.

Oh yeah. The facilities themselves are unbelievable.

country super star money in this case.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by the1Hub
country super star money in this case.
wow, I wanna record there! I'm not country, but I can change, I can.... I really can...
please......
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlc201

I'm surprised there's anyone else has any of these pieces; they seem to have got most of them! I mean 6 670's truly is insane!! and, what, about $1.5million worth of mics? jeeeez.....

Mine you, i suppose at that level of acquisition, it's a bit like collecting art in terms of investment (probably $1.5million of mics if sold individually at todays prices; I doubt they paid anything like that if they added up....)
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Wow, Vincent Gallo's place is awesome...and that's his "hobby".

Buffalo 66 was a GREAT movie, btw
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Funny, our assistant was in a session the other day when the female vocalist said that her ex-boyfriend informed her that, ' no woman should sing through a U87, they all sound horrible.' Turns out that Vicent Gallo was the ex-boyfriend.

So the assistant puts up a dynamic of some sort, I think a Senn 441, and cranks the gain. She then decided that the U87 would work just fine.

Our boy is learning!!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well, to get back to the thread ...

A loooong time ago, I sold a house and used the money as downpayment on a Fairlight ... which was so expensive, I still had to take out a loan even with the house money.

On the other hand, I was one of the first kids on the block to have one, and it more than paid for itself in session and hire fees.

But I wouldn't do that again! Of course, houses are a bit more expensive these days than back then.

B
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejook
Wow, Vincent Gallo's place is awesome...and that's his "hobby".

Buffalo 66 was a GREAT movie, btw
I was just scrolling through to see if anyone else mentioned this before I posted. GlassJaw had him in one of their videos too, which was really cool...
His coolness factor still went way up after I saw that, though.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berolzheimer
In this case it's wine money.

Really? Is Vincent Gallo part of the E&J Gallo wine family? Not that it's gonna affect my life one way or the other, just wondering if that's actually true.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopamine
That wouldn't happen to be at Extasy North would it?

Rob
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You guys are all certifiably sick.. "Slutz" does have a meaning !
How do you sleep at night ??
And I am truly happy to have joined this forum..
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I built a home studio for a client in Switzerland he paid me to put it all together. We hired carpenters in Switzerland (very expensive and refused to work on Sunday no matter how much you pay them). We put in an HD 2 system and Logic all the plugins before Logic included the PI and all the Protools PI etc etc... with a G4 dual Cinema Displays PowerBook G4 with a Mbox Genelec speakers. In total he probably spent about $50K then moved less than a year later now all the gear is in storeage somewhere between Switzerland and LA. He no longer does anything with music.
πŸ“ Reply