Quantcast
If you think the iPod and MP3's........ - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
If you think the iPod and MP3's........
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
If you think the iPod and MP3's........

....are taking away from all the skill, hard work and artistry that all you engineers put into your projects in order to obtain the very best sonics that you can possibly muster, only to be experienced by the end-user on crappy Apple earbuds.......

....then it's worse than you thought; round here I keep coming across people (not just a few it seems) that are wandering around listening to their music on their mobile phones WITHOUT headphones! that's right, audio coming out of 0.5 cm speaker(s); at least with MP3/ACC on decent speakers/headphones, you can definitely tell great production against mediocre (even to the extent of hearing "the gear" if you know what to listen for).

I overheard a couple of people with their phones talking about how great the sound was......

forget A/B'ing your mix with Auratones; you need a couple (for stereo I guess) of moto's or nokias........
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
I think you're probably not hearing good 'production value', but just overmastering and squashing the stuff.

I doubt that Dark Side of the Moon, or anything by Miles Davis sounds good on a Cell phone.

Something by 50 cent might sound good though, if all you care about is hearing him rap and some distorted beats.
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 15 years
can U hear me now?
Old 27th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Guru

๐ŸŽง 15 years
What goes around...

... comes around.

http://www.pakratz.com/transistors.html

http://www.pakratz.com/radios.html
Old 27th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon
I think you're probably not hearing good 'production value', but just overmastering and squashing the stuff.

I doubt that Dark Side of the Moon, or anything by Miles Davis sounds good on a Cell phone.

Something by 50 cent might sound good though, if all you care about is hearing him rap and some distorted beats.
I think you missed my point!
I doubt ANYTHING would sound "good" on a mobile phone!!

My point about MP3, was that if you listen to, say, DSOTM and then Britney Spears, of course you can still tell which has the "better" production values......
with MP3, it's not as if suddenly all the differences between the sonics of various recordings disappear just because the fidelity is diminished; everything is relative regardless of format......

but with the tiny little speakers on phones.... well, there might not be enough audio !!
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…