Quantcast
studio help - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
studio help
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
studio help

I have about 30,000 to spend this year on creating a Proffesional recording studio.
We want to be able to make a high quality radio ready song, cd or album from this setup. I want to be able to track, mix and master with proffesional quality.

I want to be able to do 24 tracks of analog to digital recording, with the option of digital mixing and analog mixing, as well as analog mastering and digital mastering.

We do hip hop and r&b as well as a lot of sampling style music from metal to vintage rock and etc.

We only record one track at a time, maybe 2 at the most, every now and then we will bring in a instrument player to lay something live, but only one track at a time.

Our current gear list is as follows.
pthd2, no 192 i/0 yet
fantom x6 with 2 xp sound sets
m audio b4 mointors
amd athlon fx 3.1 ghz with 1.5 gig of ram
amd 3000 2.16 ghz with 1.5 gig of ram
mpc 2000xl
002 rack
c1 beringer mic condenser
project studio tube mic pre
oxygen 8 midi keyboard 49 keys
SOFTWARE
battery 2
ableton 5.2
pt 7.1
east west storm breakz, drums form hell 2
uad 1 flexi pack, reason 3.0, virtual gutarist 2, recycle
acid 5.0, kinetic and waves 2006 demo plugins Platinum edition

next i want giga studio and rmx stylus 5.1

I dont know where to go next i guess its time to up the mic and micpre and monitors, and i know what to get neve, api etc.

But i want a analog console, after that i dont know what to get please help.
please help. thanks for any knowledge.
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
You're jankin' everyone's chain right?
If not I apologize....really...sorry..sorry...seriously.

I'd start with a nice no-load mutual fund, or maybe a trip to Vegas.
Old 26th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
this post is literally in every forum section
Old 27th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricpanties
all of your equipment sucks
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
dude...duuude....c'mon man. I'm all for nurturing those who are trying to learn something, but really what you need to do is just take some time and read and keep your eyes open...

and lower your expectations or raise your budget... Tracking mixing and mastering? You don't even want to do that all in the same facility.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Man I'd say I've put in close to 30 grand so far and I for one wouldn't consider my set up pro at all. Especially for what you're talking about doing. You're board alone is gonna run your entire budget dry, in fact depending on what you get it may not even cover it. 300,000 would be a more realistic number.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexxon
We want to be able to make a high quality radio ready song, cd or album from this setup. I want to be able to track, mix and master with proffesional quality.
You are describing what a good engineer can provide, not equipment. No offense, but you sound like a kid who just went to his first hockey game and wants to put a skating rink in the back yard.

If you want to get into this business (I can't imagine why...) then I would start by investing 90% of that money into a mutual fund, and invest 10% of that money into equipment and start recording local artists for cheap. Eventually, you will figure out how to run a decent session, and if you find yourself getting more business, then continue to invest the money you make at the studio back into the studio.

Or visit local studios and ask if they could use an intern?

If hard work, passion, and dedication aren't your bag, why not use that money to record a client in a high profile studio, hire a high profile engineer, and name yourself "Lead Producer" of the project? It'd probably be better for your "career" than buying a bunch of crappy equipment that you don't know how to use.

Sorry if I sound terse, but this business is very terse. I'd try to get your feet wet a little bit more before dropping that kind of money...
Old 27th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexxon
I have about 30,000 to spend this year on creating a Proffesional recording studio.

I want to be able to do 24 tracks of analog to digital recording, with the option of digital mixing and analog mixing, as well as analog mastering and digital mastering.

We do hip hop and r&b as well as a lot of sampling style music from metal to vintage rock and etc.

We only record one track at a time, maybe 2 at the most, every now and then we will bring in a instrument player to lay something live, but only one track at a time.

Our current gear list is as follows.
pthd2, no 192 i/0 yet
fantom x6 with 2 xp sound sets
m audio b4 mointors
amd athlon fx 3.1 ghz with 1.5 gig of ram
amd 3000 2.16 ghz with 1.5 gig of ram
mpc 2000xl
002 rack
c1 beringer mic condenser
project studio tube mic pre
oxygen 8 midi keyboard 49 keys
SOFTWARE
battery 2
ableton 5.2
pt 7.1
east west storm breakz, drums form hell 2
uad 1 flexi pack, reason 3.0, virtual gutarist 2, recycle
acid 5.0, kinetic and waves 2006 demo plugins Platinum edition

next i want giga studio and rmx stylus 5.1

I dont know where to go next i guess its time to up the mic and micpre and monitors, and i know what to get neve, api etc.

But i want a analog console, after that i dont know what to get please help.
please help. thanks for any knowledge.
Yep and it's far from impossible! Keep it simple, then it'll work. This is what I would do:

- Buy the best sounding reverb unit you can find (second hand)
- Buy a distressor (second hand)
- Buy a good enough converter, for instance Lynx Aurora (second hand)
- Buy two packages of good virtual instruments, for instance QL Colossus and AAS Modeling Collection (second hand)
- Buy the 3D Mic CD (http://www.3daudioinc.com/catalog/pr...73c379f04698af) and choose the best sounding mic for vocals that your budget allows. (second hand)
- Buy a set of good all around large diaphragm mics (for instance Audio Technica 4050) and preferrably at least one good set of M/S stereo mic pair (second hand)
- Buy API pre-amps (second hand)
- Buy a set of Genelec 1031A monitors (second hand)
- Choose to record real drums and bass, instead of synthetic drums
- Choose a professional analog mixer, for instance an 8-bus Mackie... (second hand)
- Record directly into the DAW
- Buy D2B for external summing (second hand)
- Limit and dither with Waves L3 (second hand)

Have I forgot something? This SHOULD, with good knowledge in tracking, mixing and mastering, let you record professional sounding mixes and I think it would be strange if your 30k budget is not enough for this...
πŸ“ Reply