Quantcast
By my calculation.... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
By my calculation....
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
By my calculation....

We're a mere ten years away from the lightbulb tirgger going off in the next young slutz generation brains saying..."hey 16 bit is cool". "That 16 bit sound" is what I want. Where can I find stuff that will do that 16 bit sound.

And then trigger #2 with all the resulting conversations between the kids...

"hey lookie these old things they used to call adats!. They use those old vcr tapes...you know, likle motors actually make the tape move!. I think there's one place called Berhenger that still makes vhs blank tapes for $100 each. Hey, people say tape is cool...adats have tape...and that-16-bit-sound". "Gotta get me a few of those adats. Or those other cool tape thingees called dats. I think Berenger makes dat tapes for $200 each. Gotta stock up on that cool 16 bit tape while I can cuz there might be a worldwide shortage and then how will anyone get "that 16 bit sound". Think I saw an adat on ebay for $3000 dollars." Should I get one of those Protools Home & Movie Studio programs (you know, the new one that's 128 bit, 768k sample rate) for $149.95 over at Best Buy....or should I get me one of those adats so I can do that "16 bit sound" like the old guys. After all the best music ever made was back there thirty years ago in the 80's...I think they all got that 16 bit sound by using stuff like adats"

Anyway...you get the picture. I was clearing out some of the old equipment and as I packed up 3 adats, the above scenario hit me. So, I'm packing them extra careful as I realize they'll soon be "vintage and cool". Suppose I better head over to the store and buy a few boxes of vhs tapes to also throw in with the packed stuff.
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
One of my buddies was a bit of a hardcore dance pioneer and did most of his early work on a 12 bit Akai sampler. When he moved to a PC in the mid-late 90s the first thing he did was explore the sampling options available to him, which were generally 16 bit.

He decided he liked the 12 bit Akai better and went back to it -- at least for a while. He said it sounded grittier.

Not sure if that's what I'm looking for in my overall sound, though... heh
Old 26th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I can understand your thoughts, but I don't really think it works like this. In order to get attached to something it needs to be beautiful in some way and I don't think anyone finds digital distortion artifacts very beautiful. So I don't think people will "hold on" to 16-bit in the same way as people has "held on" to analog gear.
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle
We're a mere ten years away from the lightbulb tirgger going off in the next young slutz generation brains saying..."hey 16 bit is cool". "That 16 bit sound" is what I want. Where can I find stuff that will do that 16 bit sound.

And then trigger #2 with all the resulting conversations between the kids...

"hey lookie these old things they used to call adats!. They use those old vcr tapes...you know, likle motors actually make the tape move!. I think there's one place called Berhenger that still makes vhs blank tapes for $100 each. Hey, people say tape is cool...adats have tape...and that-16-bit-sound". "Gotta get me a few of those adats. Or those other cool tape thingees called dats. I think Berenger makes dat tapes for $200 each. Gotta stock up on that cool 16 bit tape while I can cuz there might be a worldwide shortage and then how will anyone get "that 16 bit sound". Think I saw an adat on ebay for $3000 dollars." Should I get one of those Protools Home & Movie Studio programs (you know, the new one that's 128 bit, 768k sample rate) for $149.95 over at Best Buy....or should I get me one of those adats so I can do that "16 bit sound" like the old guys. After all the best music ever made was back there thirty years ago in the 80's...I think they all got that 16 bit sound by using stuff like adats"

Anyway...you get the picture. I was clearing out some of the old equipment and as I packed up 3 adats, the above scenario hit me. So, I'm packing them extra careful as I realize they'll soon be "vintage and cool". Suppose I better head over to the store and buy a few boxes of vhs tapes to also throw in with the packed stuff.

i already say that....
i'm way ahead of my time!!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I packed away a Roland tape echo I had way back when... It still sucked when I tried it years later so I dumped it. Should have kept it though cause now the kiddies want 'em. They still suck but one man's junk is another man's treasure and eBay lets you get top dollar for your junk...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekim
I packed away a Roland tape echo I had way back when... It still sucked when I tried it years later so I dumped it. Should have kept it though cause now the kiddies want 'em. They still suck but one man's junk is another man's treasure and eBay lets you get top dollar for your junk...
Heh - yeah, I dumped one of those also.

If I'd just held onto it for another 20 years or so, it'd be worth something to someone. But the feng shui would have been terrible...
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
The thing is, so many kids grew up listening to 16bit recordings. All those ADAT records are the standard for them. Of course they'll want to try to make records that sound like their favorites.
Old 27th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowStorm
I can understand your thoughts, but I don't really think it works like this. In order to get attached to something it needs to be beautiful in some way and I don't think anyone finds digital distortion artifacts very beautiful. So I don't think people will "hold on" to 16-bit in the same way as people has "held on" to analog gear.
I'd like to think you were right about this, but thenoodle just may have a point.

After all, until the 1960s, *nobody* thought that anyone would find overload distortion "beautiful". And until the 1970s, *nobody thought that anyone would want to use valves if they could use transistors instead. And until the 1990s (grunge), *nobody* thought that people would wear brown cardigans with holes in them if they had a choice.

IOW I don't think there is a golod standard for what is beautiful and we have plenty of examples of what was ugly and anathema to one generation being embraced and sought after by the next. Like theblue1 says, the next gen of slutz may regard "grittiness" or "graininess" as the elusive element that gives that crucial authenticity to their sound. And they may go to some lengths (maybe even resurrecting and venerating old adats) to achieve it.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Vintage Digital... cracks me up.

Sadly. I can see this happening. Too many people are always thinking that the first run of anything was always the best too.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon

Sadly. I can see this happening. Too many people are always thinking that the first run of anything was always the best too.
...except first wives.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon

There's already vintage digital. PCM 41 and 42, some of the early eventide stuff.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowStorm
But that's like the guy who thinks the music today's kids listen to is garbage. When you tell him that his parents thought the Beatles were just noise, he'll say "that's different".

But it's not.

Or like the studio that threw a rack of LA2A's in their dumpster because they couldn't fathom that anyone would ever use them again.

Kids have a way of finding that thing from your past that you now find most embarrasing and then they embrace it.

It's not a question of 'if', it's a question of 'when'. But it's hard to predict what's going to be sought after. Because that's called 'speculation' and if it were easy, it wouldn't be profitable.
Old 28th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by covert
There's already vintage digital. PCM 41 and 42, some of the early eventide stuff.

The only reason that I have 910's is because I picked up two for 100 bucks. Not a bad deal until I had to get them repaired and calibrated (which David Kulka did an awesome job of BTW).
πŸ“ Reply