Quantcast
how do you record stereo effects on guitar - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
how do you record stereo effects on guitar
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 15 years
how do you record stereo effects on guitar

I'm just curious if you guys run them through a stereo amp or what exactly...and if you're wondering what kind of pedals i'm talking about, just a few off the top of my head would be the Line 6 DL4, Stereo Memory Man, etc...stuff like that.

Would it be best to mic on the cab, go through the pre, take that into the delay unit then?
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Plenty of options. You can get stereo guitar cabs, or seperate speakers and run a stereo power amp and preamp.

For a live stereo effects rig, a three amp rig is the best. A central dry amp for your main tone, and left and right amps for just the wet effects.

When recording, you can simply mic one amp and then apply stereo effects later (whether plugins or external hardware). That's a cleaner, more seperated sound, but much more controllable.

But you might want to track a stereo or 3 amp rig for more leakage and commit to the effects.

Delays definately affect the way a guitarist plays, so you might want to commit to sound for that reason.

Or - you might track a dry signal, while the guitarist monitors with a delayed sound, and then reamp everything later.
Old 25th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 15 years
thanks, i was just wondering how people use a stereo pedal without having two of the same exact amps...i think my only option is what i described above, cause i dont have a huge budget
Old 25th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I personally don't record stereo gtr efx that often...unless it's a ping-pong delay.
But when I do, I go through 2 amps...of different types set with similar gain structure.
๐Ÿ“ Reply