Quantcast
Just A/B'd Purple MC77 and Distressor (with mods). - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Just A/B'd Purple MC77 and Distressor (with mods).
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Just A/B'd Purple MC77 and Distressor (with mods).

I just finished a session where I got to use my brand new Purple Audio MC77 on electric guitar and bass.

The unit sounds awesome (looks killer, also), except when I A/B'd it against a Distressor, the MC77 didn't kick as much ass as I'd hoped. To my ears, the EL8-X just sounded better. No matter how much I twisted the knobs on and fussed with both units, and even when they were sounding very close, I kept finding more of what I wanted in the Distressor.

Has anyone else had the same experience? Was I foolish in thinking I could get something out of the MC77 that I couldn't get with the EL8-X?

Are there any comps/limiters out there that can do things better/more uniquely than the endlessly tweakable Distressor can? Help! I don't want to keep buying the same product over and over again. Besides, a comp rack full of nothing but Distressors is just plain boring to look at!
Old 24th May 2006
Deleted bd1be4f
The Distressor is more of a swiss army knife compressor, that can do a lot of things really well, whereas the MC77 is more of an application specific compressor that works better on some things than others. I'd reckon you'll love the MC77 on vocals. It's more of a color/taste unit than the Distressor, just another color in the palette to choose from for certain applications.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd keep trying it on different sources (Vox/Ac gtr etc...). It won't be the best comp. for everything.
Old 24th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I think you might like the Purple better on bass, perhaps also better on snare. It seems to have more "meat" to it.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Vox is where I really preferred the MC77.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
for vocals the MC77 is way better than the distressor.

My favorite ap for it, Room mic on drums.

Mult the room mic(s). Take them pre-eq-mult. Send the clean to tape and the mult then goes into (2) MC77s. the first on 8:1 with a medium attack and a slow release. then the second MC77 with all ratio buttons in, set the attack as slow as it gets and the release as fast as it gets. Thwack and crack that can give you a very Bohnam vibe (in the right room with the right drummer). Blend it in with the clean. Even without a great big room, it is a kick ass effect.

Only problem, you need two of them for that.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by retropete
I think you might like the Purple better on bass, perhaps also better on snare. It seems to have more "meat" to it.

Don't like it on bass myself, but definitely Snare!!thumbsup
Old 17th April 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zboy2854 ➑️
The Distressor is more of a swiss army knife compressor, that can do a lot of things really well, whereas the MC77 is more of an application specific compressor that works better on some things than others. I'd reckon you'll love the MC77 on vocals. It's more of a color/taste unit than the Distressor, just another color in the palette to choose from for certain applications.
ditto.
Old 17th April 2007 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I have both and to my ears they are pretty damn different.

The Purple on vox is AMAZING. The distressor is more of a "swiss arm knife" ( I agree with that sentiment), but it can be really colored and do its own "signature" thing. Just starting to figure out how to correctly (correct for my applications I guess) use the Brit Mod. I really think the Distressor is a great compressor to learn what compressors can and will do to a variety of sources.

Great to learn on, but you'll never out-grow it.

The Purple is a very specific flavor to my ears. And a damn delicious one at that.
Old 17th April 2007
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gooch ➑️
I just finished a session where I got to use my brand new Purple Audio MC77 on electric guitar and bass.

The unit sounds awesome (looks killer, also), except when I A/B'd it against a Distressor, the MC77 didn't kick as much ass as I'd hoped. To my ears, the EL8-X just sounded better. No matter how much I twisted the knobs on and fussed with both units, and even when they were sounding very close, I kept finding more of what I wanted in the Distressor.

Has anyone else had the same experience? Was I foolish in thinking I could get something out of the MC77 that I couldn't get with the EL8-X?

Are there any comps/limiters out there that can do things better/more uniquely than the endlessly tweakable Distressor can? Help! I don't want to keep buying the same product over and over again. Besides, a comp rack full of nothing but Distressors is just plain boring to look at!
I have completely the opposite experience here for snare/kick/room mics, bass, and especially vox. They are indeed very different animals.

Well, it's cool that everyone hears things differently.
Old 20th July 2008
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
bump

or proof that I can search and not start the 6,045,804 "purple vs. X compressor" thread.

Not that it will stop me in the future since I'm considering my firstoutboard compressor mainly for tracking electric bass, esp for slap, as well acoustic steel and nylon string guitars.

Old 20th July 2008 | Show parent
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
How can anyone argue, or for that matter get verification of whether they hear one piece as being better than another? If I like medium body red wines, and you like very dry white wine, what makes one better than the other really when they are both of quality grapes/vintners, etc? You aren't comparing prosumer to pro here, just two really great pieces and you happened to like one over the other. So you found a piece that makes your life more enjoyable and easier, go with it.
Lives for gear

Just make sure you're testing each one on multiple sources and IN CONTEXT with at least one or two styles of music - full on band/etc. It's difficult to hear the strengths and weaknesses of great gear until you hear it in context, and that's why I find people typically have their preferences for the Neve sound on guitars for "this sound" or the API sound on guitars for "that sound," etc. Same with drums, vocals... everything! =)

Best of luck. Personally, I don't think you can loose with either unit - especially, if you put something good into it! *Great performance into a great mic!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i think apples are the best.
they're way better than oranges.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Distressors are for sure THE best compressor eva for recording honking cars... EVA!!!

πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…