Scott Walker - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Scott Walker
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Scott Walker

I know that this is a but of a pipe dream though I thought I would ask anyway:

Does anybody know ANYTHING about the recording of his cult 60's albums (ie, Scott 1, 2, 3 and 4).
It would be wonderful to know what console was used and what mic etc (it sounds like he used a U47 - but I may be wrong)

Any info whatsoever would be appreciated.

Thankyou.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There's a few pictures of Scott Walker in the studio in Scott 4 (his best imho) if I remember, I've got to check it at home though.
Amazing record, that bass sound (actually it may be him playing as he used to play bass in the walker bros.), that voice and the strings and brass arrangements.
I haven't heard the new one released on 4AD. Did you?
Old 24th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
his latest one's pretty out there! very interesting but not music to wind-down to.

bb
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Scott 1-4 are amazing. The lyrics, the arrangements, the singing, oh my god. It would be interesting to get some info on the sessions.

I googled up one of his arrangers once, Wally Stott, only to find that he became Angela Morley in 1971 ! And is still a highly regarded arranger.

Kalli
Founder

His later work gives the impression of an artist suffering EXTREME mental trauma..

I stick my hand up for liking in his early pop work, but after that....

"Gimp box symphony" ...waddever.... I worked with a band in the UK (Jack) that tracked down one of his producers to do thier album..
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Another Scott Walker fan here although I still find "Tilt" a bit difficult to listen to at times.

Which Jack material did you record Jules? I really like them but find them very spotty in so far as material.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
another walker fan here
I don't know much about his recording set-up, but in is biography (very good one called "shade of blue" or something like that) it said that the orchestral work for scott walker 1 was recorded in one session which meant at the time something like 5 hours inc. 1/2 hour lunch break...
Old 25th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
His later work gives the impression of an artist suffering EXTREME mental trauma..

I stick my hand up for liking in his early pop work, but after that....
Huh, well I personally love his new album; it has pathos, but it is also quite beautiful and unique (to me at least).

J.D.
Old 25th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Has anybody noticed the huge change of sound in Scott 4 as compared to the previous three? To me it sounds a lot more precise and clear, yet still really warm. I reckon the studio he recorded those albums at did the "big change" from an old valve console to a new solid state one between Scott 3 and Scott 4. Maybe a new tape machine as well - upgrade from 4-track to 8-track?

Anyway there is a huge difference - I believe Scott 4 sounds almost hi-fi compared to the others. They all sound amazing.

That has to be a U47 on Scotts voice - especially on the earlier albums. It's probably the thickest vocal sound committed to tape!
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Bump.
Old 1st September 2007 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neukoln ➑️
Bump.
Curious to know as well. I love that vocal sound ...

I've seen pictures of him in the studio for his last record but IMO while excellent doesn't sound like the same mic.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by baikonour ➑️
I haven't heard the new one released on 4AD. Did you?

It sounds like the man takes himself way too seriously these days. (At least from what I heard of the new album).
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules ➑️

Or that.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Nonetheless, this looks exciting:

YouTube - Scott Walker Film - Official UK Trailer

Also, any mic IDs in the above or this (EPK of above)? Thanks:

YouTube - Scott Walker - 30th Century Man (trailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos ➑️
Or that.
I really love the production and style of the new stuff. It grows on you, and it isn't something you can casually put on and have running in the background. It demands your attention, and isn't "likable" in that way but amazing technically.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years

This newly-introduced YouTube tag doesn't seem to work the way it was described up there in the sticky. It only works when the video ID is wrapped in the tag only, and not the full URL. Could you please have a look at it?

Thanks.

B.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Awesome. I'm looking forward to see the film. Didn't know it was coming.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the Bowie tribute! That's amazing to hear, especially as I've always thought his vocal style owes a great debt to Mr. Walker. While we're on Nite Flights, check this out:

Watch that guitarist!! And those backup singers are pretty hysterical as well. Thanks to someone on TOMB for showing this to me. I'm just passing it along.
Old 2nd September 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neukoln ➑️
Scott 4 sounds almost hi-fi...
As a relative newcomer to Scott Walker I will say that the sound of all the Scott (remastered) series, and 4 in particular just blew me away. I couldn't believe that what I was hearing was recorded in the late 1960's - the arrangements are breathtaking and the sound is totally incredible.

Enough to make you wonder just how far we've come in 40 years of relentless insistance on new technology!
Old 28th September 2007 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
does he ever tour? has anyone seen him live? he had a british tv show in the sixties, are these out on dvd?

jonathan
Old 28th September 2007 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
According to what he said in "30th Century Man" there should be a tour after the new (post 'The Drift') album is released.

Apparently all the Brit TV shows have been lost.
Old 21st February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I know Scott 4 was engineered by Keith Grant at Olympic. It's in the photos in the sleeve art I think. You can make out the Helios board as well. The others I'm not so sure. Scott 1 probably at the Philips studio by Peter J. Oliff.

I love the interview with him and Angela Morley (Wally Stott) in the 30th Century Man documentary. The filmmakers were playing them "Montague Terrace (In Blue)". Both sat silently with a look of wonderment on their faces. Ms (Mrs?) Morley asks the interviewer, "Are you sure I did that one?", and has to be reassured she DID indeed arrange it way back then. Peter J. Oliff, a look of gentle bewilderment on his face, looks up and quips, "I don't think I could do it any better today, really."

An absolute genius piece of work by all involved.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The sound of, and production on, The Drift is about the best I've heard in years. Absolutely gorgeous. Graceful, spooky, the sound of slow-motion collapse.

Sure, I like 1 through 4, but, holy mackerel, The Drift is in another league altogether.
Gear Guru

10 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
there's a documentary film and tribute album about to be released. i worked with the filmmakers and exec produced the album.

uni wouldn't release the rights to the songs in the film for a soundtrack, so we created a tribute album. it will be very interesting.

film played sundance two years ago - dvd is out in the UK - US opening soon...

Movie Review - Scott Walker: 30 Century Man - A Pop Star in Pursuit of the Primal - NYTimes.com

Scott Walker - 30 Century Man [DVD] [2007]: Amazon.co.uk: Scott Walker: DVD

here's some album info:

"Montague Terrace (In Blue)" - Dot Allison

"Dutchess" - Peter Broderick

"A Lover Loves" - Jarboe

"World's Strongest Man" - Damon & Naomi

"The Bridge" - Bee & Flower

"Rhymes Of Goodbye" - Stephanie Dosen

"It's Raining Today" - Ulrich Schnaus

"Big Louise" - Sally Norvell

"The Electrician" - Laurie Anderson

"Such A Small Love" - Little Annie
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Scott's New Work is Historically Significant

I am another huge fan with little knowledge about Scott's studio workings on Scott 1-4, I did see the 30th Century Man doc. and know about as much as is revealed there. I also read the Deeper Shade of Blue bio, which is okay.

Regarding his new work, I agree with another's post that refered to the Drift as being in another leaugue. Tilt & the Drift are taking pop music to the artistic level of art music (or what some call "classical" or academic music). But it is still pop music in my opinion, but it is experimental.

As serious as the Drift is, it is utterly hilarious at times. There is no way Scott wasn't snickering as he laid down that "Donald Duck" vocal! Or the donkey sample? I think the donkey sample's integration into the song is fantasticly effective, but it is still hilarious.

People should think of his newer work as following a narrative structure like that of a novel or movie, rather than the verse/chorus scheme that is the hallmark of pop music. Scott Walker is going to prove historically significant I believe, and it will be due to his later work rather than this older work. The experimental development of pop music has mainly focused on instrumentation, and while Scott certainly experiments with instrumentation, he also focuses on structure.

I recommend Ute Lemper's Punishing Kiss album, it contains a Scott Walker song called "Scope-J." It is very interesting to hear some one else's interpretation of Scott's work.

Regarding Scott's touring . . he is. Only, he isn't going to sing a lick! That's write, he is having other people sing the songs from Drift under his direction. I think he has anxiety about singing in front of an audience. But that is just my speculation.

P. Cobra
Old 25th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

10 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
for those in LA...

WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 25 - BORDELLO - $12 - Doors open at 8:00p

Don’t Knock the Rock and The Fold present...

A TRIBUTE TO SCOTT WALKER

featuring performances by:

JOHN DOE (X) john doe on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos <http://www.myspace.com/thejohndoething>

DAVID J. (Love and Rockets, Bauhaus) & MICHAEL BERG David J on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos <http://www.myspace.com/davidjonline> Michael Berg on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos <http://www.myspace.com/minus12>

ANN MAGNUSON & KRISTIAN HOFFMAN (The Mumps) Ann Magnuson on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos <http://www.myspace.com/annmagnuson> Kristian Hoffman on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos <http://www.myspace.com/kristianhoffman>

EVIE SANDS Evie Sands on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos <http://www.myspace.com/eviesands>

ROB DICKINSON (Catherine Wheel) Rob Dickinson (The Catherine Wheel) on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos <http://www.myspace.com/robdickinson>

LEVINHURST (Cindy & Lol Tolhurst founding member of the Cure) Levinhurst on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos <http://www.myspace.com/levinhursttestsite>

JASON FALKNER Jason Falkner on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos <http://www.myspace.com/jasonfalkner>

JENNY O jenny o. on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos <http://www.myspace.com/jennyo>

JULIANNA RAYE Julianna Raye on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos <http://www.myspace.com/juliannaraye>

FITZ & THE TANTRUMS Fitz & the tantrums on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos <http://www.myspace.com/fitzsoulmusic>

and DAN CRANE (aka Bjorn Turoque) http://www.dancrane.com <http://www.dancrane.com>

Master of Ceremonies MICHAEL DES BARRES

In conjunction with the premiere of the David Bowie produced documentary "30 Century Man," a night honoring the work, and performing the music of Scott Walker, who gave up pop stardom in the 1960s to mine a more experimental, esoteric musical vein.

ADVANCE TICKETS AVAILABLE at Inticketing.com HERE:

In Ticketing | Wed. February 25, 2009 - A Tribute to Scott Walker @ The Fold in Bordello - 901 E. 1st Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
his Jacques Brel songs are interesting, but do check the original songs
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Like him very much.
Tilt is great.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Wow way to dredge up an old thread! As a 'bump' I'll ask if anyone here has heard the album "When The Band Comes In"?

It was released after "4" and well before Climate of Hunter -- I think in the early 70s. Anyway, I'd always downplayed it thinking it was going to be terrible but I solidly love it all. Apparently he wanted to do a lot more big band stuff back then and those tracks are scattered throughout but it's the odd tracks that really stand out.

Of particular importance, for anyone who might have heard the box set, this album opens with "Prologue/Little Things that Keep Us Together" which is the single greatest opening song I've ever heard on ANY record.
πŸ“ Reply