Quantcast
Audio Accessories D-sub - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audio Accessories D-sub
Old 23rd May 2006
Audio Accessories D-sub

I know patchbays have been covered a million and one times here but.....

I am thinking about picking up a couple of the Audio Accessories D-sub bays from Redco. I am not a huge fan of D-Sub connectors but my Apogee DA-16X and my soon to be Tonelux VRack both use D-Sub so I figure D-Sub to D-Sub would sure be handy and save me from punching down 96 points on a couple of ADC bays.

So anyone use one of these D-Sub bays? Are they any good? Notice any sound issues?

Thanks in advance.
Old 23rd May 2006
Sorry I was thinking of the Audio Accessories tt bay and posted the Signex long frame bay. I am really interested in the long frame bay but I don't know if Audio Accessories makes one? Anyone know?

Anyone have anything to say about the Signex bays, they any good?
Old 24th May 2006 | Show parent
Led
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi, I have TT dsub patchbays and they are great for easy swpping of bays etc, but - you will still need to wire up dsub to whatever connectors your outboard uses. They are fiddly to wire up the first few times, but once you get a bit of experience doing it it's easy. Buying them premade is very expensive and you can only get certain configurations.
Cheers
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just bought one - it's coming next Tuesday I'll report back then.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
How is half and full normalizing switching done on these units?... The picture is not very clear.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Supposed to be really easy to switch no soldering - It was one of the reasons I sprung for it. I'll let you know. Call Chris at Redco - I am sure he can walk you through it.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
they are good patch bays i have many of them. they can be made to any specification u want them.....mine are full normal.......u will have to patch 48v thru though..........
Led
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don't know about these, but on mine you open the case and change a jumper depending on what you want for normalling. Talk about easy. And you can change it back just as easy.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Just want to say- I was up at Redco yesterday picking up my D-subs, and they are a great company. Extremely friendly and knowledgable, and they make great custom cables. I highly recommend them.

Mark Cattano
Magneto Studios
www.heedmusic.com
www.myspace.com/markcattano
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Cattano
Just want to say- I was up at Redco yesterday picking up my D-subs, and they are a great company. Extremely friendly and knowledgable, and they make great custom cables. I highly recommend them.

Mark Cattano
Magneto Studios
www.heedmusic.com
www.myspace.com/markcattano

Yep, Chris is a great guy. They have built or sold me the parts for all my cables.

So does anyone else besides Audio Accessories make a long frame D-Sub bay? Turns out after speaking to Chris yesterday the Signex bays are not long frame they are just standard 1/4 inch. Audio Accessories does make a 1/4 long frame bay but it is pretty expensive so I am just wondering if it is worth it or if anyone else makes something like it?
Old 1st November 2008 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
hey...i just bought one as well and would love to know how to set it up properly. normalling, half-normalling, etc...i see the white caps on the back. guessing that where its done. it is not very clear on their site. also...how are you going to set up compressors/dessers on it.

thanks!
Old 2nd November 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've got four of the AA tt bays but with 3 pin EDAC connectors on the back (96 of them per tt bay, one for each jack on the front) instead of the DB25 connectors. You will save alot of money with the DB25 connectors instead of the individual EDACS but given I picked up all 4 bays for just $120 off an ebay auction I can't complain that I'm spending more for the EDAC connectors/pins than for the bays. My units have jumpers on the outside back of the unit above the EDAC connectors to set normaling and grounding options with a set of jumpers for each vertical pair of jacks. I'm assuming the DB25 connector model (AA calls it the "Minishorty") has the same type of jumpers. My units are stenciled on the top of the unit as well as 2 stickers on the back with graphics of the unit's jumper setting options. I'm sure AA would have this info at their website for download for your model if you have no stencil or stickers. I have the jumper options of isolated (NN)/full normal (FN)/half normal (HN) for the normaling. I have the jumper options of isolated/grounds verticaly strapped (GVS)/row 1 and 2 bussed/bus row 1 only/bus row 2 only for my grounding options. IF a patchbay is going to be devoted to mic tie lines or mic pre inputs, they have XLR bays (instead of tt jacks) or for more money, Normaling that includes the grounds, not just the usual "Tip and Ring". Either of those two options would allow patching without a short occuring with phantom power engaged on the mic.

Hopefully I'm not talking down to you as for setting up of patchbays and when to use each of the above options. Basically it all depends on what gear you have and how you want to route it (no set answers). Its best to think of a patchbay in terms of a vertical set of jacks (top jack and the bottom jack right underneath it) and typical setups have inputs on the top row, outputs on the bottom row (ins over outs). Isolated means each jack is isolated (not internally vertically connected) and this would typically be used with outboard rack gear that is not usually plugged into anything else until it's needed. An example of this would be a rack of EQ/compressors I/O's that would be wired into an isolated bay and when needed, patched into a particular channel's pre send/return or post send/return on an analog desk. Full Normal means that the vertical pair of jacks is internally connected until a patch cord is inserted into either the top or bottom jack. Half Normal means that the vertical pair of jacks is internally connected until a patch cord is inserted into the bottom jack. If you insert a patch cord into the top jack of a Half Normaled vertical pair of jacks, the internal connection IS NOT broken and thus you can mult (split) you signal. Too many different ways to use Full and Half Normal to list, you just need to figure out what configuration is going to be the best for your setup now and reserve some room/flexability for the future. There are consultants out there to help. Best tip I've gotten about patchbays is to work it out on PAPER FIRST, as paper/pencils/erasers are cheap, buying bays and cables and then realizing you need something else/different configuration is expensive. Hope I have not explained what you already know LOL.
Old 2nd November 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new ➑️
Yep, Chris is a great guy. They have built or sold me the parts for all my cables.

So does anyone else besides Audio Accessories make a long frame D-Sub bay? Turns out after speaking to Chris yesterday the Signex bays are not long frame they are just standard 1/4 inch. Audio Accessories does make a 1/4 long frame bay but it is pretty expensive so I am just wondering if it is worth it or if anyone else makes something like it?
We do. It's called the AudioLot Mixbay. 192 point Tascam wired DSUB connectors to TT's. You can read all the specs, see photos, read reviews and watch a video on our website. Just click on Pro Audio Sales at the top of the page, choose AudioLot under manufacturers and select the Mixbay. It's been a very well received and popular piece.
πŸ“ Reply