The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Core Audio at its finest?
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Core Audio at its finest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley-OIART
Is it your (& possibly many others) claim that M-Audio Specific CoreAudio Drivers have without doubt less latency than a ProTools LE Equivilent... Meaning that my Digi002 no matter what I do has more latency than for example the M-Audio ProjectMix I/O , soley because of the employed Core Audio Drivers?

-Scott
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
To answer your question simply, yes.

Here's a fun experiment, I ran a Pro Toos HD system with the Core Audio driver. You'd think there would be zero latency but the latency was as brutal as an MBox or Digi 002.

It's a function of Digi's crappy Core Audio drivers (not necessarily the hardware itself). Why couldn't they just use Apple's Core Audio hooks instead of reinventing the fricking wheel (and doing a really crappy job at it too).
Can anyone at Digidesign Confirm this???

Please pardon the following elitism :
but there is no way low-end products that are from M-Audio which some would call : 'unbalanced-jittery-trash' (take the Projectmix I/O for example) should be out-performing a real (albeit somewhat ****e) product from Digidesign such as the Digi002Rack.

This better get some fixing fast... I'm still pissed that Dual Processor Mode in ProTools LE causes CPU Spikes and extra pops and clicks, after all, for that Digidesign told me : "If U want Low-Latency, Use one Processor"

-Scott
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Please pardon the following elitism :
but there is no way low-end products that are from M-Audio which some would call : 'unbalanced-jittery-trash' (take the Projectmix I/O for example) should be out-performing a real (albeit somewhat ****e) product from Digidesign such as the Digi002Rack.

This better get some fixing fast... I'm still pissed that Dual Processor Mode in ProTools LE causes CPU Spikes and extra pops and clicks, after all, for that Digidesign told me : "If U want Low-Latency, Use one Processor"

-Scott
I have a 410, delta 10101 and an Mbox and I can assure you that the mbox is absolute **** compares to 410 and the 1010 on all levals especially Stability. All the digi core audio products are overated rubbish, I guess thats why they purchased Maudio.?
Old 23rd May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
what a load of crap
Quote:
You'd think there would be zero latency
this person is very mis informed, any native processing will induce latency. period.
its the buffer size that determines your latency you cant just say one product will always induce more latency than another. if you want less latency reduce the buffer size its that simple. that said the minimum buffer size available with core audio on an m-box is crap, but keep in mind these products are made for use with Pro Tools. the core audio and windows wave drivers were an after throught but the ASIO driver does work almost perfectly. use your 002 in PT and you wont have the latency problems, if you need better support for other software either get a pc and use the ASIO driver or look at other hardware.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks Aussie

...Bump for anyone else that may have insight to first post?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Cant someone test it? I´m suspisious about companies that has two different productlines that has the price as the biggest difference. In my opinion it´s basically the same product, they could make it work natively if the wanted, but the company needs to differantiate between the HD and LE line.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yeah, I can. I actually did the test. Apparently that's not good enough

Will someone else who has access to an HD system load up a Core Audio program (ie. Logic, Ableton, Cubase, Garageband, Reason, whatever) and confirm it?

Or if you're that curious to know, then go to a music store or buy an HD system and you can see for yourself
Old 24th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
Will someone else who has access to an HD system load up a Core Audio program (ie. Logic, Ableton, Cubase, Garageband, Reason, whatever) and confirm it?
why would you run anything but pro tools or logic with the TDM bridge on HD rig anyway? its just a waste of all that hardware
📝 Reply