Anyone try this NS-10 crossover mod? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone try this NS-10 crossover mod?
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Anyone try this NS-10 crossover mod?

Please, no NS-10s sound like ass comments...tutt

I'm just curious about this mod I came across.

http://www.cdmasteringservices.com/ns10modification.htm
Old 21st May 2006
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 15 years
nope - but I'm interested )
Old 21st May 2006
Deleted User
Hey... ns10's might NOT sound like ass then...

Basically, what's going on in the crossover section, is taking the woofer crossover from a 2nd order, to a 3rd order. 12db per octave originally, and now it's 18.

Same thing on the tweeter side, except the impedance curve is moved up, so the impedance peak is closer to the crossover point.

Easy to explain, but I don't know how easy it would be to do. I don't remember how big the crossover boards are in ns10's, so the components might not be able to fit.

If you don't like the 1k-3k boosted region in ns10s, you might like this... however, there goes the magic that is, the ns10.
Old 21st May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 15 years
IMO ns10's are good exactly because of theire limitations- trying to make them more "hifi" is defeating the point-
As is, they're very useful for balancing levels in the mids while mixing... (and not for much else)
Old 21st May 2006 | Show parent
Han
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
After mixing on many monitors I must say that I still can't do without the NS10 as is.

It needs an amp that matches with it, but IMHO it still is a very valuable nearfield monitor. I keep them original.
Old 22nd May 2006 | Show parent
Barefoot Sound

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper
Basically, what's going on in the crossover section, is taking the woofer crossover from a 2nd order, to a 3rd order. 12db per octave originally, and now it's 18.

Same thing on the tweeter side, except the impedance curve is moved up, so the impedance peak is closer to the crossover point.
No, these are impedance compensation networks. They flatten the impedance that the high and low pass filters see. For example, the impedance of the both the woofer and tweeter rise with frequency due to their voice coil inductances. The resistor-capacitor networks parallel to the drivers flatten this out. The woofer requires a larger capacitor since its voice coil inductance is higher. The resistor-capacitor-inductor network parallel to the tweeter flattens the impedance peak the occurs near its resonance frequency. You could do the same for the woofer, but the capacitor and inductor values would need to be very large. Besides, its resonance peak is so far below the crossover region that it's unnecessary.

Thomas
Old 22nd May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Guru

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I love my ns-10s but the whole point is they sound like they do, I wouldn't go tinkering with them. If you want something better sounding I'd get a different speaker.

However buying a decent (and powerful) amp (lke a macintosh, perreaux etc..) is a good plan.

narco
๐Ÿ“ Reply