The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Neumann KH 310
Old 23rd March 2012

🎧 10 years
Neumann KH 310

Anyone heard something about the rumours of the second generation of Klein & Hummels 0 300 that was supposed to be launched at Musikkmesse 2012?
Old 26th March 2012

🎧 10 years
yes, i asked sennheiser. it will be released in maybe september. it will be a redevelopment...like the neumann kh 120 is to the k&h o110.
Old 26th March 2012

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by schallmeister ➑️
yes, i asked sennheiser. it will be released in maybe september. it will be a redevelopment...like the neumann kh 120 is to the k&h o110.
Thank you schallmeister
Old 30th April 2012
IME

🎧 10 years
I wonder what the price will be?
Old 30th April 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Any details on improvements?
Old 4th May 2012
Lives for gear

Interested in this too!!
Old 25th May 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
But they might make the o300 sound worse...?

Most likely increase the power handling
Old 25th May 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If the Kh120s are anything to go by, these could be seriously promising!!
Old 21st June 2012

🎧 10 years
Hey guys,

some brand new news about Neumann's upcoming KH 310 (name supposed, not yet confirmed): It will again be a complete new development compared to O 300. All drivers will be self developed by Neumann, no custom or OEM parts. Cabinet will be sealed again, but amp power and therefore max. output will increase tremendously. Dimensions will be very similar to O 300, if not exactly the same. Development is in its final stage, but release will not follow until 2013. All infos are confirmed by a German retailer, who is in contact with Neumann's chief engineer.
Old 21st June 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
2013? :(
Old 21st June 2012

🎧 10 years
Yeah, that's what I was told. Neumann is known to take all the time they need to develop their products, but in the end the outcome is always worth waiting.
Old 21st June 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well I look forward to sampling some German engineering
Old 21st June 2012

🎧 10 years
Well, I am from Germany, and even though I use Australian monitors (Opals) I'm also looking forward to this piece of German engineering. Neumann's KH 120 are really a masterpiece in my opinion, given its size and output, and I am really excited how these qualities come to life with three ways in a much bigger enclosure. Neumann is a company which definitely still keeps up the legendary qualities of German engineering, when they release a new product, you can be shure it's top notch.
Old 21st June 2012

🎧 10 years
I would buy something with deeper bass from KH 120A ( -3 dB at min 45Hz or lower) and cheaper than O300/KH310. Something with 6,7" woofer, and 120 W on bass + 60 W for tweeter. There is big price and "specs." hole betwean KH 120 and O300 .
Old 21st June 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_PL ➑️
I would buy something with deeper bass from KH 120A ( -3 dB at min 45Hz or lower) and cheaper than O300/KH310. Something with 6,7" woofer, and 120 W on bass + 60 W for tweeter. There is big price and "specs." hole betwean KH 120 and O300 .

I'd take the time to listen to the 120s before making any claims... I think they have remarkable bass output given their size, and with a sub, its a no brainer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Gearslutz App
Old 21st June 2012 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhager84 ➑️
I'd take the time to listen to the 120s before making any claims... I think they have remarkable bass output given their size, and with a sub, its a no brainer.
I have ADAM A7X, and i need something with deeper bass without sub. I believe You sub will give extra bass to KH 120 A - it's obvious.
Old 21st June 2012

🎧 10 years
KH 120 sounds incredibly bigger and much more powerful than it is. You can't evaluate a speaker just based on watts and power. I also would use KH 120s with a good sub and exactly measured, but be shure that such a combination would kick much more expensive speakers asses.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benares ➑️
KH 120 sounds incredibly bigger and much more powerful than it is. You can't evaluate a speaker just based on watts and power. I also would use KH 120s with a good sub and exactly measured, but be shure that such a combination would kick much more expensive speakers asses.
So Neumann KH 120 A have clearly deeper bass than ADAM A7X ? I don't "evaluate" a speaker low end extension by "watts and power" ... but ... by low end extension (KH 120A = 52 Hz -3 dB ... A7X = 51 Hz - 3 dB)

ps. and i'm not talking about subwoofer
Old 21st June 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Although I am now the UK distributor for ME Geithain, I have read on these boards someone comparing the RL906 to the O300.

If it sound right for you, it fits the price tag, coming between the two. Although the woofer is similar in size to the KH120.

I have listened to the RL906 and KH120A side by side with another Gearslutz member and both are definitely fine monitors, as is also the O300 - but I will not post my own feelings as it would not be right.

All I can say is listen and decide for yourself.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
So Neumann KH 120 A have clearly deeper bass than ADAM A7X ? I don't "evaluate" a speaker low end extension by "watts and power" ... but ... by low end extension (KH 120A = 52 Hz -3 dB ... A7X = 51 Hz - 3 dB)

This still doesn't tell you much at all about it's low-frequency roll-off.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexK ➑️
This still doesn't tell you much at all about it's low-frequency roll-off.
There is frequency charts, so I know how steep roll-off is.
Old 21st June 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Again, you still don't know based on measurements.

Many LF response graphs will be calculated responses as accurately measuring down to even 40-50 Hz is a very, very costly procedure.

Some speakers are measured half-space, others free-space (depending on the design criteria of the loudspeaker).

You also need to see the waterfall plot of the speaker at those lower frequencies. A speaker which takes you cleanly down to 50 Hz with very little overhang will be far more useful and informative in the low-frequencies than a speaker which takes you down to 30 Hz with double the decay time.

Harmonic distortion levels at low frequencies will also play a big part.

There's just too many considerations to judge a speaker based on it's frequency response plot, which is very rarely a direct comparison anyway.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
A speaker which takes you cleanly down to 50 Hz with very little overhang will be far more useful and informative in the low-frequencies than a speaker which takes you down to 30 Hz with double the decay time.
You are right, but we are not talking about THD and impulse response/decay time right now. I want low THD , and good response of course - THIS IS OBVIOUS.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
There's just too many considerations to judge a speaker based on it's frequency response plot, which is very rarely a direct comparison anyway.
I know what this plot telling me, and what it's not telling me - this is obvious Im not 5yo child

... im talking about water, and You saing: "good water is s...t without good food" - GOD! this is ... obvious
Lives for gear

7 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Hopefully price is okay on this and pushes the prices from the competition to drop a bit. Adds allot more competition and good choices for the consumer to pick.

Quote:
There is frequency charts, so I know how steep roll-off is.
Your judging from specs alone, I've tested both in different environments the drop of is much bigger on the 120a as you would expect considering the woofer size. (They punch allot of low end for size of woofer but its just realistic they drop of allot earlier)

As said before its to easy to get caught up in all the specs, graps, wattage, frequency response etc etc, the most important thing is actually testing things your self and seeing how things are in the real world as mostly specs never tell you the full picture.

I still find it strange you cant hear in the 40's clearly at quite low output levels, so it must be a room problem, as said ask most other owners and they will tell you they re-produce in the 40's cleanly (and even the low 40's) however rooms can play a big part even treated ones. I've heard them set up in one room with some treatment and the low end was not there, in another and the low end was to much and thus had to tweak the low shelfs, while in others its just right. (They are very sensitive to room placements, especially how the low and top end comes out) for me and most other owners we can check the lower 40's perfectly fine on them at lower output levels, only the 30's need to check on the sub / or headphones)

However, if you want to judge the lower sub frequencies like in the 30's, then a sub or other monitors which can cleanly re-produce those frequencies would be a good upgrade.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Specs don't always sound the same -
Solos, Twins and Opals have the same specs just about, but one has a hell of a lot more bottom end extension and punch
Old 22nd June 2012 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolColJ ➑️
Specs don't always sound the same -
Solos, Twins and Opals have the same specs just about, but one has a hell of a lot more bottom end extension and punch
Frequency chart says nothing about punch.

Same specs (for example 40 Hz-40 kHz -3 dB) says nothing about SPL drop/bump at for example 60 Hz (or 30 Hz). So monitor "A" 40Hz-40kHz -3dB could have more bass at 60 Hz than monitor "B" 40Hz-40KHz -3dB.

Extension at -3dB drop for Solo and Twin should be the same (same SPL drop at 40 Hz). This does not mean same punch or overall bass amount (only same bass amount at >40 Hz<!

... Opals and Solo/Twins have the same specs? Show me this, because I dont see this (Solo and Twins YES ... but Opals?)
Old 22nd June 2012

🎧 10 years
I know this thread is about the 310's but my kh-120's should be arriving in the mail tomorrow! Excited to test them out. Have heard allot of good things about the re-vamp! Would love to pair a bass with it but the one Neumann makes is a bit to pricey for me. Hopefully post a review in the near future! Looking forward to seeing what Neumann has in store next, but it looks like I'll have to wait till 2013!
Lives for gear

7 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

... Opals and Solo/Twins have the same specs? Show me this, because I dont see this (Solo and Twins YES ... but Opals?)
Many monitors have the same specs, like frequency response, maximum long term output, wattage etc, there's many cases where two monitors have very very close specs on paper, but in reality one of them often has allot more overall output, general punch, and less of a drop of in the lower end etc.

Reading specs and judging monitors on specs is like judging a book by it's cover.

You should also not skip a problem with a monitor because the specs say something, find the problem in real world, tweak or ask others and you'll be surprised that sometimes a problem can be solved physically rather than throwing it off just because some specs say this and that.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomox ➑️
Many monitors have the same specs, like frequency response, maximum long term output, wattage etc, there's many cases where two monitors have very very close specs on paper, but in reality one of them often has allot more overall output, general punch, and less of a drop of in the lower end etc.
I was talking about this above. You only repeating me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomox ➑️
Reading specs and judging monitors on specs is like judging a book by it's cover.
... but cover telling You what is a book :P
πŸ“ Reply