The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Spliting cable and phantom.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Spliting cable and phantom.

If I want to record the same condenser mic with 2 pre´s ( don´t ask me why heh ) can I use a Y cable ? what happens with the phantom power ? Should I give phantom with just one pre ? What happens if I give 48v with both pre´s ? Can i fry the mic?

I want to try I few things like recording the same take with 2 different pre´s for comparing. Also it can be usefull for recording live vocals to prevent distorsion if the singer goes mad so using 2 pre´s ( the same ) but one with less gain for safety.
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by espasonico
If I want to record the same condenser mic with 2 pre´s ( don´t ask me why heh ) can I use a Y cable ? what happens with the phantom power ? Should I give phantom with just one pre ? What happens if I give 48v with both pre´s ? Can i fry the mic?

I want to try I few things like recording the same take with 2 different pre´s for comparing. Also it can be usefull for recording live vocals to prevent distorsion if the singer goes mad so using 2 pre´s ( the same ) but one with less gain for safety.
You can use a mic splitter. I use a rack of 1 in 2 out splitters.
Here is a cheap one:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ter?sku=428712

One output is direct. This is the one you feed phantom power.
The other output is transformer isolated (and will not pass phantom).

Done.

Buena Suerte,
David
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…