Quantcast
favourite mics? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
favourite mics?
Old 19th May 2006
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
favourite mics?

hey guess what? i have a ****ty voice! but i like to sing anyway! anyone care to recommend a mic that sounds extra nice??
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you have a ****ty voice then a mic that sounds extra nice is not going to help you. It will sound ****tier. I would try a Sm57 or something like that.
Old 19th May 2006 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
its not soooo bad! ive sang thru mics and it sounded aight. what is special about that one? thanks for the suggestion
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I have a similar thing going on...

I have a ****ty voice...I mean, I can't sing, but for my music where I'm lead vox, I shout and I scream(which I have a good voice for)but no "real singing." It's apropos for the music anyways.

Having tried 3 different $$$ Neumann's on different occasions, I found they actually brought out the worst of my voice. So an awesome mic may actually bring out the worst and actually emphasize just how ****ty your voice is. I agree with espasonico...Def. not the way to go. It'll most likely sound worse.

So...Suggestions:

Through trial and error I have found 2 mics that for totally work for me, and are my only "go-to" vocal mics...you may have luck with these...

1.) Electro Voice RE-20
2.) MXL V69

The EV RE-20 is a great old broadcast mic that can be great for male vocals...an awesome dynamic. Similar results from SM57 suggestion, just a different flavor.

The V69 is a tube condenser "chinese knockoff" of more expensive LDCs. A lot of people/engineers were blown away by this mic, though of course a lot of "High End Theory" still consider it an unusable "chinese knockoff." For me, it's actually perfect for my vocals...it's pretty dark, with a relatively flat frequency curve, and is also great for male vocals. Perhaps one of the best "bang for buck" mics on the market, and mostly recognized as a "contender" mic.

Do some googling on these, or go SM57. Point is for a bad voice you actually want a lower-end mic, as it will mask some of your inconsistencies instead of intensify. Whitney Houston benefits from a $5000 mic, chances are you and I won't...heh
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by commaKaze
I
1.) Electro Voice RE-20
2.) MXL V69
wow, thanks man, that helps a lot. yeah i've found ways of singing that work for me, either soft and mostly spoken or really screamy. anything in between, i just dont have the range for. singing just really makes me happy, and when i write songs, i dont like the idea of someone else singing them.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by deaddeaddead
wow, thanks man, that helps a lot. yeah i've found ways of singing that work for me, either soft and mostly spoken or really screamy. anything in between, i just dont have the range for. singing just really makes me happy, and when i write songs, i dont like the idea of someone else singing them.

Yes, good advice here.

But might I suggest (in the vein of the RE20) that you get the SM7.

Very versatile mic (like the RE20) that is good on vox, guitar, bass....um, lots of things..and is a bit cheaper than the RE20.

Regards,
David
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
why spend $$$ on mics if you cant sing. spend some of that money on singing lessons.

anyway start with an sm58, it always doubles as a hammer
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_techie
why spend $$$ on mics if you cant sing. spend some of that money on singing lessons
that aint punk rock!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
wow, thanks man, that helps a lot...
How? For all we know, your voice could sound terrible thru any of the mics mentioned.

The recommendations so far are good starting points for you, as most of them have proved to be more foolproof than some other choices. It's impossible, however, to truly recommend one without hearing your voice. I've had plenty of vocalists who sound terrible on SM57s, SM7s, MXL V6s, etc, but sound great on other mics, and vice versa. It all depends on the voice. It also depends on the song!!

The only good advice here is to go out to Guitar Center and try out as many as you can on your voice (or rent some/"try before you buy" and do it at home.)

Singers only suck in context, by the way.
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
yeah good point. i just dont have time for that, and i'd be real intimidated singing in the middle of a guitar center with a bunch of yeah dudes rocking out all over the place.

all i can do is just describe the weaknesses and strengths in my voice, and hope that others of you have had similar experiences.

weaknesses: hi-end, nasaly, thin
strengths: well, i mentioned it above...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You shouldn't feel intimidated to sing in a room with 3 stoned-out-of-their-mind teenagers playing Jimi Hendrix and Tom Morello way too loudly. They suck, and they don't seem to mind.

Besides, a lot of places like that have iso rooms for demoing. I would totally recommend it if you care at all how your voice sounds. MAKE THE TIME. And if your voice is thin and nasally, don't bother with the SM7.

Also, if you find your "nasally-ness" is coming thru on the recordings too much, experiment with mic placement (specifically the angle it's titled,) and even a little EQ. Make sure you take your allergy meds too!
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
yeah good point. i just dont have time for that, and i'd be real intimidated singing in the middle of a guitar center with a bunch of yeah dudes rocking out all over the place.

all i can do is just describe the weaknesses and strengths in my voice, and hope that others of you have had similar experiences.

weaknesses: hi-end, nasaly, thin
strengths: well, i mentioned it above...
Don't let everyone over-analyze the situation and make you go crazy...though I'm sure you're appreciative of everyone's opinion/advice, they all mean well...and some good stuff at that...

I replied BECAUSE I feel like you and I are in similar scenarios. and vocally seemingly much alike.

I'd stick with either a good dynamic, RE-20, SM57, SM7...or go for that V69. Pricewise they're all the same, except the SM57 cheaper at around $89.

Bono uses only an SM58 for vocals, Beck only uses an SM57 and I can't think of right now, but there is a lot "pro" multi-platinum selling singers that only sound good through $100 mics. So it's not just you BTW.

And 2nd the thought "It ain't punk rock" to take vocal lessons...I feel like I have a grasp on what you're going for.

1.) EV RE-20
2.) MXL V69
3.) SM57 or 58
πŸ“ Reply