The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
m201 on vocals.
Old 22nd March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
m201 on vocals.

wondering if anyone has used a m201 on vocals before.

i'm looking at using one over the top of an ldc. will try the ldc in both omni and cardoid.

will definitely try the 201 myself but was curious if anyone is already using one for this purpose.

i'm hoping the bass lift the 201 has might add a litte more um umpf

p.s. i don't have a m88
Old 22nd March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I love the sound of my voice through the m201. Hardly needs any EQ at all.

It's handy for recording in crappy rooms because it's a fairly tight polar pattern. But this also means it's no good for singers who move around a lot.
Old 22nd March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It sounds amazing if your voice shares the same basic range and timbre as a snare drum.
Old 22nd March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
@ electric sugar. - excellent. thanks for the tip also

@ godotzilla - i just checked the instrument freq chart and i'm in luck. male vocals and snare are in the same range. hehe.....

i find i use 201 on everything these days. is always on snare, i have found i like it very much on bass cab and it always goes on guitar cab, with both i use it off axis.
Old 22nd March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I love it on snares--even the occasional guitar amp. It's a great dynamic mic with a sh*t-ton of applications, depending on your personal preferences. With the right source, it probably makes a really good vocal mic, too.
Old 31st March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
thought i'd update this post.

i tried the m201 last night. we finished at about 3 in the morning so i haven't had a chance to go back over the takes. we ran the 201 into a daking 500 pre. no complaints at all, certainly worked as a vocal mic. i need more time to compare it to the ldc mics. the singer is a bit if a screamer but not metal more indie punk

something i tried as well that i liked, was i set up a modified nady rsm4 as a room mic about 2 feet behind the singer. the room is small and i've been trying to get some different room sounds and in particular trying to make the room sound a lot bigger than it is. omni mics haven't really worked the way i'd hoped. i was really happy with the results from this method.
Old 31st March 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by godotzilla ➡️
It sounds amazing if your voice shares the same basic range and timbre as a snare drum.
If your voice has the same timbre as a snare, I think you're in trouble
Old 31st March 2012
Han
Lives for gear

🎧 20 years
I have used M421's on toms for some 20 years, it sounds good but the bleed sounds not nice, to say it friendly. Then I tried M201's on toms and an M88 on floortom. That is a big improvement, 201's don't sound like M421's, but very nice in a different way and the bleed is so little that you don't need any gates or automation. And the bleed sounds just good, so the problems are no problems anymore.

The M88 sounds great on floor, if it sound great on kick it will sound great on floortoms.

On topic: the M201 as a vocal mic, great mic on anything, but beware for fingernoise.
📝 Reply