The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Vocal Booth
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Vocal Booth

My vocal setup is:

U87ai -> Great River ME-1NV or Grace m101 -> RNC1773 (sometimes) -> Apogee AD16X. (wired with mogami cables)

I have a home made vocal booth. My question is can a vocal booth be to dead? My booth is 98% covered with acoustical absorption foam (no diffusers), and carpet on the floor.

My sound is warm but it feels alittle dull or maybe just a little muddy. I think my setup is pretty good (best i can afford) and feel like my booth is the weak point in my chain. I don't wanna spend 2.5-3K on a booth just yet. Any tips?
Old 19th May 2006
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
The over all dimensions are about 7' h x 4' w x 4' d. No windows a light and even the top is covered in foam.
Old 19th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
What are the walls made of (behind the foam)?
Do you know what exactly the foam is?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Seems like a practical approach to me. But get some bass trapping - foam can't kill the low end, so the muddiness is probably room boom.

Unless you have stunning room acoustics (non parallel wall, angled ceiling, optimised room dimensions and plenty of diffusion), the best approach is to kill everything and apply artificial ambiance. Much more versatile.

But try to get the lows sorted first - highs are easy.

If you want to make it better, make it bigger, and don't have parallel walls, or identical dimensions.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
What are the walls made of
1 side is dry wall (part of the house), the other sides are . . . I don't know the name but those things chinnese ladies change behind? basicly a wood frame with straw inerior. The ceiling is a piece of cardboard with foam on it.

Quote:
Do you know what exactly the foam is?
Auralex 2" wedges. Doing some research is seams like the Pyramids are used more in vocal booths, but don't know if it makes a differance.

Quote:
Seems like a practical approach to me. But get some bass trapping - foam can't kill the low end, so the muddiness is probably room boom.
The booth is not in the same room as the control room so i dont think is that unless its from his voice?

Check these pic's out:
Pic's

they are the 4th and 5th pic's
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
what about this : http://www.clearsonic.com/small_vocal.html

Its only $811. Anybody hear how it sounds?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It looks about the same as what you have - just prettier, probably.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
do you think it will sound the same? because it is not completly covered or inclosed
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fak
do you think it will sound the same? because it is not completly covered or inclosed
I think it would sound the some.

I think what you should think about doing is 2 things. First put 4 4" rigid fiberglass panels on the walls. Straddling the corners if you have the room. Second, I would cover the ceiling with 2" rigid fiberglass panels on the ceiling and space them 2" off the ceiling.
That should pretty much do it for that room. You can also leave the foam up for the high end.

Glenn
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fak
what about this : http://www.clearsonic.com/small_vocal.html

Its only $811. Anybody hear how it sounds?
It´ll probably sound worse than your DIY version b/c the walls look like their plexi-glass... it also won´t block much sound either.

Your best bet with a square booth is to use a combination of broadband traps and foam... if ALL you have is foam your booth is going to sound 'boxy' and 'muddy' because all of the low mids will be bouncing around creating nulls and peaks, while all the high end will be dead. You´re really going to want to invest in some 'bass traps'... you could make some yourself... buy some 703 or 705 owens corning fiberglass insulation (2x4´) and wrap it in burlap. Mount a few of these to the walls and ceiling and you´ll be in better shape. Make some small traps for the corners and you´ll be doing even better.... although you might run out of space.

This will help A LOT!
Old 20th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
if ALL you have is foam your booth is going to sound 'boxy' and 'muddy' because all of the low mids will be bouncing around creating nulls and peaks, while all the high end will be dead.
Thats sounds like my problem. thanks for the help guys
📝 Reply