Quantcast
how do you deal with flakey clients? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
how do you deal with flakey clients?
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
how do you deal with flakey clients?

Just wondering how most of you studio owners out there deal with clients who book and then dont show or book and then cancel?

My situation at the moment is I'm acting as producer and liasing with the studio to book time to get the drums and guide tracks laid down. The plan is to then come into my studio for guitars and vocals.

I have twice been let down by the band, and twice I've had to get on the phone to the studio owner (with whom I have a good relationship) to explain. I'm sick of being put in this position. It makes me look like an idot.

The latest excuse is a dead grandma, which is so cliche is just laughable (RIP Nan). This time however, I have told the band that the studio is demanding to be paid for the booked time since they cancelled with less than 24 hours to go. I dont want to work with them again. Where do you draw the line?

Hopefully this should shake them up and teach them something about comittment. I see it as only fair that I forward the money to the studio owner to compensate him for his empty 5 hours.

Cheers
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
simple. have a policy that states that cancellations must be made X amount of days/weeks in advance, or they will be charged X% of their skipped session. keep records of e-mails, phone calls, and meetings.
Old 18th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
How about an advance payment for a percentage of the cost? They're less likely to bail they've made something of an investment. I also agree with what seaneldon said.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
You can charge half up front when they book the session and the other half upon completion. Only refund that money if they cancel 24-48 hours (or whatever works for you) before the session.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
sucks.

don't bands ever figure stuff like this out? it's amazing uncool and unprofessional.

i only have a couple of folks who are flaky about booking time (always changing times and stuff at the last minute). drives me nuts, and i'm not really sure i'm making enough money off of them to be worth the aggravation. i at least have my own (small) room to work in, so i don't have to bother studio owners as well. if this involved me booking a room somewhere else and them flaking out i'd set **** straight mighty fast.
Old 19th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A none-refundable deposit that is applied to their sessions.
If they cancel they lose the deposit.
If they have to cancel the deposit gets applied to the next booking after coming up with a new booking deposit. so now 2 deposits or downpayments have been payed.

Its fair to the studio and other bands/client booking .
MDM
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
this is all part of the learning .. it's got to happen to you and then you got to take your position ...
i had recently 2 gigs (concerts) cancelled ... I had already booked tickets for me & the singer ...
Also, I had made it clear in the deal before I bought the tickets that in case of cancellation from their side, tickets would be refunded ..

a week or so later, another gig got cancelled - we had nothing written down - we would have earned 1000 euro for the gig - luckily, the organizer felt really ashamed and put 500 euro on my bankaccount without us playing anything - nice of him
I will hoewever, in future deals, try to get this sorted in the contracts/deals that I make with people - In case of cancellation from their side , pay half....
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Any band/artist/manager I work with signs a contract & has layed out a deposit well in advance of the recording dates to avoid stuff like this.

We're talking multiple thousands of dollars...even if it's a $4000 all-in budget, we've got at least $2500 in hand before the dates get inked in.

No deposit, no recording. Pretty simple.

If they give me crap about it I simply explain that it covers their ass just as much as mine.

If they still balk at it then my best guess is they aren't all that serious, and really...why should I be more serious about their music then them??? They can find some other schmoe to record them. It's fine by me, leaves more time for the people who ARE serious. I'm not going to put my rep & career on the line for a bunch of idjits...it's not worth it. I'd rather sand drywall then put up with that!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I'd rather sand drywall then put up with that!
Man I HATE sanding
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The first time it happens, that's the last time I take their calls. There really are too many "good" people out there to spend time pleading with the flakes.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
50% down.

Cash, or Money Order.

No show, no refund. If a refund is issued, it's stipulated in the contract that the house retains a certain % for handling, lost business due to being unable to book that time and office expenses.

48 hours notice unless due to acts of God, accident, illness, death or other unforseeable events. 50% due before any product is delivered. Forfeited fees are not applicable to further sessions or studio rental costs.
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
But from a legal standpoint, God works in mysterious ways.
πŸ“ Reply