Quantcast
What´s that Zero 7 sound? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What´s that Zero 7 sound?
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What´s that Zero 7 sound?

I already liked very much the way the 2 first albums sounded. Last week, i was driving around in my car listening to the radio. I was impressed by the way that drums sounded in a song that was new to me. Then i got impressed by the vocals sound, then everything else, then i heard: " New zero 7single...blah..blah" Anyone knows how they recorded it? Wich mics/pre´s/comps? Is it tape? the drums sound like recorded to tape...Not sure, only heard it once. I know that they have great musicians, great songs, etc. Still...how do they get that sound?
Old 18th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks. It did help. The drums did sound good. Do I need a Studer? Or a fatso?

It doesn´t say too much about the gear they used. Only a c12 and a rca 77dx? I find it hard.
Also, only pre´s from the trident flexi?
What is a 3M two-inch tape machine?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
sounds like they had some grit & warmth in the desk and hit tape pretty hard.

I LOVE the sound of those records, works well with the music & the vibe. Which came first?

I think the key is to hone your instincts to recognize and respond to good sonic character wherever you find it.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
The last album is great. I loved that. Never got the first one though, is the new one out soon?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog_Chao_Chao
a 2" tape machine made by 3M, who also make medical and gaffer's tape.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
rofl !

So glad I just bought a new "washing machine"
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Believe it or not they cut the new album to vinyl from 1/2" then transferred it back into the digital domain. The album was mixed by Phil Brown in our mix room (Miloco Studios, London).
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukarin
Believe it or not they cut the new album to vinyl from 1/2" then transferred it back into the digital domain. The album was mixed by Phil Brown in our mix room (Miloco Studios, London).
sweet.
Old 21st May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bukarin
You mean they tracked to 24 2" to protools to 2 track 1/2" then to vinyl and then back to digital?
Old 23rd May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey bukarin,
Can you tell a bit more about how they recorded this album. I heard it again yesterday and again I was impressed. I think it´s one of the best sounding albums I heard so far. There aren´t many drums out there sounding like that...
Old 24th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
the two biggest gear-based signatures i hear in their sound are tape and trident.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 25th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I agree. Although it seams they mixed it through the Neve Vr60.
Old 13th July 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here is yet another Remix magazine interview with Zero 7, this time talking about their latest album "The Garden":

http://remixmag.com/artists/remix_second_nature/
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
"... proper mojo descended on Studio Two after Binns and Hardaker availed themselves not only of the DDA Profile 56-channel console"

Thats my desk now heh and I love it!

The mix comp still has all the automation for that record on it's drive!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilE
"... proper mojo descended on Studio Two after Binns and Hardaker availed themselves not only of the DDA Profile 56-channel console"

Thats my desk now heh and I love it!

The mix comp still has all the automation for that record on it's drive!
That's cool! It's nice to have items of equipment that have an interesting background.

The only thing I have is a broken Morley pedal that used to belong to The Verve, which their Guitar tech gave to me when they were still together.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks. It did help. The drums did sound good. Do I need a Studer? Or a fatso?

It doesn´t say too much about the gear they used. Only a c12 and a rca 77dx? I find it hard.
Also, only pre´s from the trident flexi?

the 3M is a 2 inch 16track. lenny zravitz has three chained together i believe.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by owl
the 3M is a 2 inch 16track. lenny zravitz has three chained together i believe.
Yeah- i'd love to know what console thats going through now- I just saw th A range that came from his room go into a room in London a couple of weeks back mmmmmmmmm NICE! What's he replacing THAT with??
Old 14th July 2006 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I agree. Although it seams they mixed it through the Neve Vr60.

in the credits to the first album (which has the tone i adore most, and the most tone) it references being "fleximixed". i always assumed that meant trident. it sounds more ts than vr to me, but i've been wrong about these things before. once or twice .

gregoire
del
ubk
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
in the credits to the first album (which has the tone i adore most, and the most tone) it references being "fleximixed". i always assumed that meant trident. it sounds more ts than vr to me, but i've been wrong about these things before. once or twice .

gregoire
del
ubk
He means the latest album was mixed at Miloco 1.

http://www.miloco.co.uk/studios/neve.php

A previous album at studio two was done on the DDA. The trident fleximix was from back in 2002.
The Distressor's "daddy"

🎧 15 years
3M M56 2 Inch

I used to have one of those 3M 16 tracks when I first started my studio. That thing kicked fine butt. I could record at +12 with 996 tape. The problem I had was in banging the needles against the end of the VU meters! Click click tap tap ping ping! If i calibrated the meters for +9 or +12, Id have to go thru the whole cal again for the next session!

I modified mine to get the best THD, which mainly was removing the output transformers by bypassing around them. BUT Im not sure the sound was better really. I put the transformers back in when I sold it. There was this clever linearizer circuit too, but I bypassed it because I could get so much level on modern tapes it wasnt needed. At 30IPS, I got a good 72 - 74dB signal to noise without noise reduction, which is about as good as it gets. Thats because each track had 1/8" of tape to pile level onto.

Everything was so punchy and warm on that thing. 15IPS was FATUS MAXIMUS! It used relay logic but if you used good relays, the thing would work for years and years. If I could have afforded it, I would have kept it AND my OTari 24 track. But I was poor with no room to store both decks. It was one or the other.

I have a picture from those days somewhere. It would be fun to find it and remember the rinky dinky studio setup...
📝 Reply