Quantcast
???? safeties, how much $$$$$ - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
???? safeties, how much $$$$$
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
???? safeties, how much $$$$$

I just did a project for Willie Nelson and some other big names, their A&R guys want the safeties, being pretty dumb, I assume these are the back-up session files (these are protools) and wants to know what it will cost, what should I charge???
And am I right about these merely being the protools sessions

thanks
Old 18th May 2006
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish11
I just did a project for Willie Nelson and some other big names, their A&R guys want the safeties, being pretty dumb, I assume these are the back-up session files (these are protools) and wants to know what it will cost, what should I charge???
And am I right about these merely being the protools sessions

thanks
Charge like a wounded Rhino!!!

No seriously! heh

What did you bill them for the project? It should be in-line with that...if you've got a rate of say $75 an hour and it takes five hours to make the safties then it'd be $375 + materials right?

Willie's a dude just like everyone else. Be a 'pro' & charge accordingly. Ask the A&R mooks to specificaly explain what they want & get it ALL documented so there's no misunderstandings. 'Safeties' can mean different things to different people so they won't think less of you for asking.

Keep a copy of it all for yourself though & make sure you have clearance to use the tracks/mixes/tunes whatever to promote yourself. Hey, you got paid to turn knobs for Wille Nelson!!! That's a damn cool gig! Live it up!
Old 18th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
When record companies ask me for the safeties they usually mean the back-up wich in my case it´s usually the firewire hard disk where I´ve been doing the daily back-ups. It´s good to dismount the original hard disk and mount just the back-up and check everything is fine before delivering. We just charge for the Hard Disk price because we´ve been doing the back-up daily so we don´t need extra time.
In our studio we charge a little bit more of the real cost of the drives.
The best thing you can do is ask the A&R guy what he really wants because he maybe just wants the safety mixes, playbacks and that stuff. If you don´t keep any back-up for yourself let them now just in case they come back to you next year asking for something of that sessions.

I don´t know what is gonna happen with all those hard disks that the record companies are keeping. In a few years they are going to get into troubles with those drives.
Old 18th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Do a J. noted. Fee's for backup time and whatever you charge for the HD.
NEVER keep a copy for yourself. Verify everything (who gets safeties, masters,...) with whoever is paying for the session. Don't even ask to keep a copy.
Old 19th May 2006 | Show parent
One with big hooves

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by espasonico
I don´t know what is gonna happen with all those hard disks that the record companies are keeping. In a few years they are going to get into troubles with those drives.
I don't know either...that's why I go with DVD's if they don't specify. Seems like a better way to do it IMO but the labels get what they want...
Old 20th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs
I don't know either...that's why I go with DVD's if they don't specify. Seems like a better way to do it IMO but the labels get what they want...
Shelved DVD's will not last as long as HD's. I have some bigfoot and other drives from early 90's still around the shop and get put to use when I need an extra half gig or so, hell, my 80's stuff still worked before I trashed everything last year when deciding what to take whn I moved. I'd give specifics, but don't want to misquote anything, but from memory, the lifespans of DVD+/-R's are supposed to be somewhere around 10 yrs or less
Old 20th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
thanks for the help
📝 Reply