Quantcast
Noticeable difference between Apogee Rosetta and EMU 1620m converters? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Noticeable difference between Apogee Rosetta and EMU 1620m converters?
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Noticeable difference between Apogee Rosetta and EMU 1620m converters?

Just dealing with the A/D converters of each model, not counting sample-rate, is there a noticeable difference between the two or are they considered fairly mid-high end in the converter department?

If there is a difference, can anyone describe that difference tonewise?
Old 18th May 2006
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
A/D and D/A converters mare made up of two stages. the digital stage, and the analog stage. the EMU M series stuff does indeed have the same or similar chip the the PTHD interfaces, but it's a HUGE marketing ploy, because the analog stage is sheer garbage. apogee has a good analog stage, too. whole 'nother level, brother.
Old 18th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Sonically what is lost by using the EMU converters over the Apogee? Are we talking smooth highs versus harsh highs, mids, lows? Anyway to describe the difference?
Old 18th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 15 years
You should listen to both if possible... a low-grade analog stage supresses transient response, for one thing.

Apparently there is a way to mod the 1820m's op-amps and improve the sound. I've seen there is a forum over at head-fi.org where this has been beat to death about the 1212m, its little brother.

Anyways, even after this mod I would be stunned if it sounded as good as an Apogee converter. If it sounded as good as a Lynx Two... well... that's possible.

there's a discussion about the converters on it here:

https://gearspace.com/board/showthread.php?t=70364

I know this doesn't answer your question directly, but I said all I have to say in that thread.
๐Ÿ“ Reply