Quantcast
tracking with the effects ON... how many? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
tracking with the effects ON... how many?
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
tracking with the effects ON... how many?

How many of you track with effects on?

let's say a reverb or delay on voice or guitar.

How about creative effects on certain instruments/voice? Do you record one dry and one processed?

Thanks

Jason
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
definitely modulation effects and tremelo! reverb...nah.
Old 17th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I often track with outboard effects, but I record the dry signal to one track and the effects to a separate adjacent stereo track. That way, if they work fine when it's time to mix, I already have it, and if the mix calls for something else (or just a different dry/effects mix) I still have the flexibility to do that.

DP
Jai guru deva om

🎧 15 years
I typically throw UAD-1 Dreamverb on or the 140 plate for vocals and maybe snare. If it helps the performance by giving more life to the sound while tracking I'll do it.

War
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
only on the monitor side of things, and then only if the artist is comfortable with it....I never "print time based effects"

Almost never on vocals....but sometimes I have.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Poulin
How many of you track with effects on?

let's say a reverb or delay on voice or guitar.

How about creative effects on certain instruments/voice? Do you record one dry and one processed?

Thanks

Jason
Reverb, never- but delay lines, pitch, mod effects all the time- there is something powerful about committing to a sound.

JR
Old 18th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I'm in the process of switching between the "leave the tracks clear of effects for mix" and "commitiing stuff to tape" Esp. on the guitar/bass side of things, those effects are to difficult to replicate I find after the fact as the effects influence the way the player attacks the part. So I now look at it like this, if the effect is going to influence the part/player then it goes to tape.
Old 18th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I noticed since we treated our new mix and tracking room that we're commiting more and more to tape.

As for effects, I was always one of those to just do it in the mix but heck they can really enhance a performance if needed.

Thanks for the replies.

I was curious

Jason
Old 18th May 2006
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I keep a multi-fx patched into the board I monitor tracking over, more out of habit than anything. But I don't take outside clients anymore and I can't help but feel I've 'outgrown' the need to have 'verb in my cans when I track.

But print FX? My whole life experience is against it. heh

I guess if I had something I thought was really killer and didn't want to let it get away I would but I'd also cut the track dry, too. I don't work on other folks projects anymore but nothing used to drive me nuttier than trying to deal with fixing tracks (on tape) where people had recorded wet.
πŸ“ Reply