Quantcast
Pet Sounds - my thoughts... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pet Sounds - my thoughts...
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Pet Sounds - my thoughts...

Let me begin by saying that I am a HUGE Brian Wilson / Beach Boys fan and that Pet Sounds is definately in the top 10 of my favourite albums of all time.

My point is this; whilst I think the production of this wonderful album is gorgeous (vibey, colourful, moody, atmospheric and joyous) I tend to think that some people (ie producers, rock journalists etc) give Brian a little too much credit on one thing; his use of the orchestra and room as a synthesizer device. They claim that he was the first person to combine instruments (often unlikely combinations and often in unison) to blend and "synthesize" a new sound unlike the sum of it's parts. The use of natural acoustics helps to synthesize this.

But this has been happening for centuries - any classical composer who has really wild and colourful with orchestration (Tchaikovsky and Debussy spring to mind) has used this technique to create new sounds that are totally unique. Yes, it may be one of the first "rock" albums to use this technique - however any decent arranger / orchestrator would know of these possibilities. It's just not that revolutionary.

It's the songs, the singing, and the sheer beauty of the sound that makes it one of the greatest in my opinion.

Anyone have a preference - the original mono mix or the more recent stereo mix?
I'm all for the mono.
Old 17th May 2006
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I would say that it's 'revolutionary significance' lies within the amalgamation of it's total output, as well as it's pop accessibility.

Remember that the Beach Boys were the immediate and erratically impulsive answer to what Europe had delivered us at that time. We needed a domestic competitor to the Beatles.
Old 17th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Sure, and ain't it strange how they're really uncomparible.
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I think its an awesome disk but you may be right. He didn't do anything that hadn't been done before. Phil specter did it before but Brian was the first full 'Rock' producer to do it . Remember he went right from cheezy surf music to the Wizardry of Pet Sounds in 6 months.

I think critics couldn't believe a guy could write 'Little Duece Coup' and 'God only knows within a a year or so. So I think he shocked alot of people that he actually had a huge talent at first.

Music is a weird thing. Look at Eddie V. Everyone gave him credit for the whole tapping thing. I remember seeing AC/DC Angus and Genesis Steve Hacket doing that in the mid 70's. Much of music critics opionion is based on ignorance.

Look at that chump 'Beck' (not jeff beck). Rolling Stone mag thinks this guy is innovative and cutting edge. Yet hes doing what George Martin , Brian Wilson and others had done in the 60's.

It's all about exposure
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Don't you ever doubt Brian Wilson EVER AGAIN!!!!

Oh and the stereo mix sounds like ass, imo.

๐Ÿ“ Reply