Anyone here work on a Rush album? - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anyone here work on a Rush album?
Old 19th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerHunter
Max Webster was also mentioned and I really liked Battlescar as well. I can't remember if Rush/Geddie did anything else with Kim Mitchell though..
I thought Max Webster was such an outstanding band. IT's so wierd, Kim Mitchell (former lead singer of Max Webster) is now a DJ on Q107 in Toronto. It's too bad they didn't make it south of the border, oh well, at least we Canuks go to enjoy them. Kim's first 2 solo albums were great, he was such a smokin' guitar player!

I don't think Rush ever did anything else with Max.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerHunter
Someone mentioned Lanni and in all honesty I didn't even know that he was doing anything right now. Last I heard was Frozen Ghost.
My partner has done a tonne of work with Arnold. Arnold has been very busy, just not as of very recently, he did all of the Our Lady Peace stuff as well as Finger Eleven. From what I remember I think he was planning on or already moved to LA. He still owns Arnyard studios though.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by True North

I don't think Rush ever did anything else with Max.

The first time I saw Rush, the line up was Rush, Max Webster, Styx, and Starcastle.

May 6th, 1977.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great
The first time I saw Rush, the line up was Rush, Max Webster, Styx, and Starcastle.

May 6th, 1977.
WOW - what a cool link, thanks.

My first show was in 1982 - with the Payola's opening up (Bob Rock's Band)

I didn't know that Webster played south of the border

and in the 'where are they now' file - where in gods name is STARCASTLE heh . Better yet, who the heck was Starcastle?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Better yet, who the heck was Starcastle?
My buddy actually brought a bong that we were passing at this concert.

So, heck if I know. heh
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I don't want to hijack this thread but I've been listening to Moving Pictures a lot lately and I was curious about Geddy's bass tone on this record. Is it the Bass, the player, the amp. How does he get it to growl like that?

Any insight would be great. Huge Rush fan over here.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I could be wrong, but I believe he was using an Ashly preamp back then. And he used his early 70's Fender Jazz!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Mecin
I don't want to hijack this thread but I've been listening to Moving Pictures a lot lately and I was curious about Geddy's bass tone on this record. Is it the Bass, the player, the amp. How does he get it to growl like that?

Any insight would be great. Huge Rush fan over here.
I would put my money on the player as being the largest of the 3 parts you ask of.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryllh
I would put my money on the player as being the largest of the 3 parts you ask of.
Well yes. But his Rickenbacker didn't sound like that. Nor his Wal or Steinberger.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great

May 6th, 1977.

wow! Star Castle great band. They were from the midwest???
I have their first lp

awesome
Kush Audio

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthando
Well yes. But his Rickenbacker didn't sound like that. Nor his Wal or Steinberger.

there's a SH*TTLOAD of distortion on the bass tones on that record, and if i had to guess how it was done i'd say some combo of ampeg tube amp overdrive and ssl input overload.

if memory serves, there's also some occasional tasteful chorusing.

it sounds so damn good.

gregoire
del ubik
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for all the replies. Yeah, pretty much everything on Moving Pictures sounds incredible. I'm kind of obsessed with it right now.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
So, does anybody want to venture a guess as to what kind of console they recorded their mid-seventies stuff on? Just curious. I very much dig that sound!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Well in the liner pictures of Permanant Waves you can see Geddy Lee sitting in front of an API. The record sounds kinda like API as well.

Where was that album recorded, the UK?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthando
Well in the liner pictures of Permanant Waves you can see Geddy Lee sitting in front of an API. The record sounds kinda like API as well.

Where was that album recorded, the UK?
Recorded at LeStudio, mixed at Trident.

Nice to see you over here, Paul.heh
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Hello to you too, Don.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
@ d.mecin - Couldn't sleep last night, so "dug out" Moving Pictures from the bottom of my untidy heap that is iTunes, and totally got lost in The Camera Eye. Love that tune and Tom Sawyer.
Great punchy drum sounds (not enough of the room for my tastes, but wow what a kick sound!

-----

I actually pefer the sounds on Hemispheres though.

Wasn't that recorded at Rockfield in Wales?

Superb ballsy but clear/attacking bass tones ---- and you gotta love the real tweeting Welsh birds (or was that A Farewell to Kings?)
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9
"Limelight" solo

I always wanted to know how Alex Lifeson got that really high harmonic which seems to go through a delay with infinite repeats and then jumps an octave
I always thought it was a Boss DF-2 Super Distortion and Feedbacker...at least that's how us Alex Lifeson wannabees did it in the '80s. I know it applied a bit of LFO modulation to the sustained note, and let you come back in under it, but don't recall for sure the octave part. Anyone have a better memory than me?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hiya --- In case you missed my earlier post:

Found something on the www --- Quote from A.L.

"That was my Strat with a Shark neck--made by a Canadian company--the Lawrence humbucker in the bridge, and a Floyd Rose trem. I tracked the rhythm guitars through an original Boss chorus into two Marshall 2x12 combos. I improvised the solo, and used a rack-mounted Loft chorus. The amps were at the usual volume--11! I stood in the control room and we cranked the monitors to get feedback. We regenerated the last note with an Eventide delay to keep it going. That solo is made up of all those pulls and drops with the Floyd, and they give it its unusual, elastic quality. It's my favorite recorded solo."
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Arnold has been very busy, just not as of very recently, he did all of the Our Lady Peace stuff
Yet another connection that might make Lanni a good choice for Rush. I know that the singer of OLP sang on Alex' "Victor", and I believe both Alex and Geddy are friendly with OLP.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtucker
Yet another connection that might make Lanni a good choice for Rush. I know that the singer of OLP sang on Alex' "Victor", and I believe both Alex and Geddy are friendly with OLP.
Actually, it was Edwin, the singer from I Mother Earth, that sang on "Victor"...
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash
Don't know if anyone has posted this already in this thread but in case not, this is quite interesting.
http://mixonline.com/recording/inter...reating_vapor/
Isn't it fun to read old articles? In the heat and hype of a new project/product, the interview/review always seems so much more favorable.

here's a quote - "Judging from the overall sound of the album, they made the right choices."

Wow. Did they actually think that?
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtucker
Let's face it...almost every Rush album from, say, Grace Under Pressure to current times has at least one dud on it. As much as I LOVED Counterparts I think "Between Sun & Moon" is quite possibly one of the worst songs they've ever put to tape. And, really, never should have made the album.
Just popped that cd in while I worked. It got to track 5, I said to myself "Dang, that sucks." I reached to skip the song, and there it was "Between Sun & Moon".

Man, some of the lyrics on this project were just ... forced.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole
Just popped that cd in while I worked. It got to track 5, I said to myself "Dang, that sucks." I reached to skip the song, and there it was "Between Sun & Moon".

Man, some of the lyrics on this project were just ... forced.
Nobody's Hero tends to make the crowds at the shows get up and get a drink, run to the bathroom. I have seen them 8 times since Counterparts was released and they have played that song about 5 of those times. It never fails. Must be frustrating to watch from the stage.

As for Ged's MP bass tone. I mentioned to ToddF that it sounded like they had some AMS Harmonizer on the bass throughout.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
LOL ---

Reminds me of a Metallica concert I went to: "Great! Kirk Hammet's playing his 20 minute screechy guitar solo --- Lets find the toilet "

I'm listening to A Farewell To Kings --- Magnificent neck pickup tone from Ged on Xanadu (Ricky?)

Kinda makes me laugh how willy-nilly and frankly loose the guitar solo section is on the song A Farewell To kings --- Drums and lead gtr "taking a little excursion" LOL
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9
LOL ---

Reminds me of a Metallica concert I went to: "Great! Kirk Hammet's playing his 20 minute screechy guitar solo --- Lets find the toilet "

I'm listening to A Farewell To Kings --- Magnificent neck pickup tone from Ged on Xanadu (Ricky?)

Kinda makes me laugh how willy-nilly and frankly loose the guitar solo section is on the song A Farewell To kings --- Drums and lead gtr "taking a little excursion" LOL
Mike Portnoy said something about Lars' drum solos several years ago.

"Great time to buy a t-shirt". heh

Xanadu:

The greatest moment in Rush live videos is during Exit Stage Left when the lights come up as the band kicks in. Both Ged and Al have the double necks. Talk about a classice rock moment in history. I have the video on VCD but can't wait till the rereleases come out.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Nobody's Hero tends to make the crowds at the shows get up and get a drink, run to the bathroom
indeed it does. we started calling it "another beer-o".

Quote:
I have seen them 8 times since Counterparts was released and they have played that song about 5 of those times. It never fails. Must be frustrating to watch from the stage.
i'm sure it is. especially as they consider that one of their better "recent songs" and "lyrics". much like they do with "the pass"......although i personally think that "the pass" kicks ass and would be fine if i never heard "nobody's hero" ever again.

re: Between Sun & Moon.......of all the songs in the "never before played live" category that they could pull out for the 30th anniversary tour.....they choose THIS one. WTF?

Animate aside, Counterparts is probably my least favorite rush album. the one thing it's got going for it is that guitars were back in the forefront and they remembered how to rock again.

cheers,
wade
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen
Actually, it was Edwin, the singer from I Mother Earth, that sang on "Victor"...
Oh crap. THAT was the band. For some reason I thought it was OLP.

You're absolutely correct!

When Counterparts first came out I thought "Hero" was lame as well. But the more I listened to it the more I liked it. Never like it live, though. Thought it killed momentum.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrface2112
indeed it does. we started calling it "another beer-o".

re: Between Sun & Moon.......of all the songs in the "never before played live" category that they could pull out for the 30th anniversary tour.....they choose THIS one. WTF?

cheers,
wade
There is a live version on the last Rush In Rio CD. I don't know if it is a souncheck song. That and Vital Signs. They have played Vital Signs before as it appears on the Grace Under Pressure video.

Entre Nous and The Camera Eye are the 2 songs I wish I could have seen live. Ged and Al were pretty stern with telling the world they didn't want to perform The Camera Eye live anymore. Most people wanted to hear it on the R30 tour. They DID play it on the Moving Pictures tour.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Entre Nous and The Camera Eye are the 2 songs I wish I could have seen live. Ged and Al were pretty stern with telling the world they didn't want to perform The Camera Eye live anymore. Most people wanted to hear it on the R30 tour. They DID play it on the Moving Pictures tour.
And the Signals tour - that was my first concert (in sixth grade!!) and I remember it well.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
There is a live version on the last Rush In Rio CD. I don't know if it is a souncheck song.
you're completely right. it was the VT tour and not the R30 tour that they "debuted" Between Sun and Moon. My mistake.

but there were a lot of other songs they could've pulled out that fall into the "was never before played live" category. i just don't get why they pulled that one out. i mean, give us Anagram or Red Tide....or even Hand Over Fist before "Sun and Moon". hell, i would've been thrilled with Everyday Glory instead.....

And yeah, they pulled Vital Signs out of retirement for that tour as well......although something just didn't feel "right" about it. maybe it was too slow? i dunno.....i just didn't like it nearly as much as the MP version and the one from the GUP video, etc. something was just "off" feeling about it.

Quote:
Entre Nous and The Camera Eye are the 2 songs I wish I could have seen live.
I don't think Entre Nous was ever played live in concert. i know it was at least soundchecked--i've got a show with it (or at all of it that they played) that someone had recorded from a soundcheck. it's not at all bad.....but the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired.

Quote:
Ged and Al were pretty stern with telling the world they didn't want to perform The Camera Eye live anymore. Most people wanted to hear it on the R30 tour. They DID play it on the Moving Pictures tour.
yeah, geddy's on record as saying he pretty much hates that song. i don't quite understand why....but then again, i've never liked it all that much myself. i seem to be in the minority on that.

songs i've always wanted to see were Grand Designs, Hemispheres and ANYTHING from Caress of Steel.

i'm just glad they brought back Natural Science.

cheers,
wade
πŸ“ Reply