Presto 825 info - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Presto 825 info
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Guru

7 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Presto 825 info

Presto tube 825...obscure machine even for the most knowledgable. Who knows about this (tech and history)?

Old 24th April 2008
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Presto 825

I'm restoring a Presto 825. What do you want to know?
Old 18th December 2008 | Show parent
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I have my mitts on one also - non functional at the moment. I'd be curious to know if you're restoring it to use as tape deck electronics, as a mic preamp, or both.... neither? Must be worth the trouble if you're in there at all... do tell!
Old 18th December 2008 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Presto 825

I will restore this deck to use as intended. One can do far better, for less money, getting a real, dedicated microphone preamp (say, the TAB-Funkenwerk v78M.) My technician is working on my Studer C37 at the moment, but the Presto will be next. Some accounts from '50's and '60's users indicate that this machine is better than the contemporary Ampex decks; it was more expensive at the time. The rarity is an issue, so I have 1 trolley, 3 transports, and 4 channels of electronics w/PSUs to make 1 machine. I would not restore it just for its mic preamps, but would if I wanted a top quality tube mastering machine. Great recordings were made on these and the Ampex's. The limiting factor would not be the recorder. You can't go wrong with great musicians. live to 2-track all-tube analog!

Best,
David
Old 3rd April 2013
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I have a complete 2 ch 1/2" presto 825 that is ripe for a restoration job. Is anyone doing those now or wants a machine ready for it. I personally uninstalled it from its working system and put it into storage in about 1983
Old 3rd April 2013
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Presto made very good quality broadcast turntables as well as tape machines and they also made machines for the Muzak franchises that took 14 inch reels and were two track auto reverse models, running at 3 3/4ips.
They were very expensive back in the day.
I still have two twelve inch 3 speed Presto turntables and they still operate well 60 years after they were made.
I've only seen pictures of this particular model, Presto's version of the Ampex 350/351s, which were much more common in recording and broadcasting studios.
๐Ÿ“ Reply