Quantcast
what albums would you love to remix if you could? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
what albums would you love to remix if you could?
Old 16th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman

ps. I did do three mixes for Born In The USA back at the time, and I can tell you that Bob did an AMAZING job on that record.
Believe me, you're not going to improve it.

I agree.

The Wild the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle, however, could use a fresh mix, IMHO.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Nice thread.
Although there are some albums that come to mind ( early My bloody Valentine albums, Yo la Tengo, Velvet Underground, etc.) I think the sound they have is a part of my memory already. So, although today i can say that i would probably make it sound better ( to today´s references...) i wouldn´t change them a bit. I like them like they are.
If they don´t sound that great maybe that just proofs how great the songs were....call me nostalgic.
What is sad is to hear recent recordings that are bad enough to distract you from the song, or that wont let you take pleasure from. I think you all agree that that doesn´t happen a lot lately.

🎧 15 years
Helmet - Betty
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson
Helmet - Betty
I love that album. and the way it sounds! i love the snare...
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Smith
I would have to say Metallica's Black Album, not because I could do it better (it's the greatest-sounding album of all time IMO), but because it would be worth the embarrassment of having my name on a far-inferior remix to be able to pull up the faders and hear those godly tracks in their raw form and satisfy my lifelong obsession with the sonics of that album! Ha! heh

Matt
you just need to convince them to remix it in 5.1

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog_Chao_Chao
I love that album. and the way it sounds! i love the snare...
Love it too (BIG Helmet fan here!), but there are some things that annoy me... The snare being one of them actually. It has too much ringing, too metalish... Though the sound of it is interesting and I would keep the idea behind it - just tweak it a bit differently.

This Cd is either not raw sounding enough or not clean enough...
AjD
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhitman
I did do three mixes for Born In The USA back at the time, and I can tell you that Bob did an AMAZING job on that record.
William, all is forgiven... I love that record. I'm just getting in the spirit of the thread.

Now, if only those keyboard parts on "Glory Days" were horns...

Best,
Adam
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Jeff Buckley, Grace - Thin and bright.

Fleetwood Mac, Rumours - Same thing. Seriously, where's the bass on this record?
yeah, this ubik guy's cd...

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwagener
Back In Black - in surround
NOW we're talking!
Old 16th May 2006
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Queensryche...

I'd remix everything has done from Hear in the Now Frontier until now - I saw them on the tours since and always leave thinking "great songs!" - but can't take to listen to the CDs because of the production...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjD
William, all is forgiven... I love that record. I'm just getting in the spirit of the thread.

Now, if only those keyboard parts on "Glory Days" were horns...

Best,
Adam
That line about the Horns is so .... perfect. Absolutely. They should have been horns.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd make some minor tweaks to the Pixies' Surfer Rosa. Sometimes it just sounds a little TOO harsh and unbalanced, punk or not!
Old 17th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Metallica: Black Album.
I would just want to do a mix recal and push the guitars and bass up about 2 db. That album is just kick and snare.

Rush: Grace under pressure.
The guitar tone on this album needs some life pumpedi into it... just terrible.

Devin Townsend: Terria
This album just needs help all around.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Boston’s first LP. I always hated that record mostly because of those guitar sounds. A few years back I had the opportunity to hear the unmixed masters and incredibly, the guitars didn’t sound like Rockmans at all. They were huge and dynamic Les Paul/Marshall bad boys. Goes to show what you can do in post.

But having said that, I'd rather be working on new projects any old day of the week.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I would love to have a crack at TRANSFORMER by LOU REED.

I don't mind the mix but I find it a bit too polite (especially Vicious - that song just wants to break free but it never quite does).

I'd love to see if I could open it up a bit - give it a bit more grit and punch on the rock songs and release the "glowing" splendor of the ballads.

Also DOG MAN STAR by SUEDE - great songs but album just sounds DIRE. Flabby, souless, digital-nasty, lexicon-abused eeeeeeeeeeeeek.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Sacrilege I know, and one of my all time favorite records but..."Moondance"...Love the whole thing except the vox..no low or high end on them at all... although it was probably mixed with am radio ca.1970 in mind..great tunes, cool vibe, great vocal performances but bad sound...."half a mile from the county fair and the rain came pouring down...."

Ray
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson
Helmet - Betty
Strap it on, also.

Do we mean 'remix' or 'mix again'?
Very different things.

I'd really like to mix 'Suicide Pact You First' from 'Therapy?' again.
I'd love to remix "Worlds Apart" from 'And you will know us by the trail of dead'.

JR
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Metallica's St. Anger!!! Would love to fix those drums!
Harmless Wacko

🎧 15 years
I've got several hundred records I'd love to remix.

Basically.... anything I mixed in the first place.

HOHOHO.

Anyhoo.

I don't want to re-mix anybody elses records.

Been there, more than once.

Dreadful experiences, by and large.

They are time capsules. Good, bad or indifferent.

You can re-touch those photo's from now till doomsday and you ain't gonna BE THERE again.

Great records can, and do, survive strange and awkward mixes relatively unscathed.

It's the irony of this undertaking(AE).

When we really matter... it's because we skew the margins favorably on that which is already MARGINAL.

Great records marginalize US.

They steamroll anything in their path.

Best regards,

SM.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Id remix all the pearl jam cd's. Actually Id reproduce them and rewrite all the songs too. Actually maybe Id kick out the lead singer and get a guy who can sing in key.

Id also redo the guitar tracks and actually tune the guitars before Id record them. Id also tune the drums and rerecord them.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Got to be Bob Dylan 'Shot of love' Some of his best songs but so painfull to listen to I hardly ever play it!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
All Things Must Pass

+ any early Queen
Gear Guru

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Paul Simon "Graceland". It really suffered from being made at the height of the huge gated reverb age. If it had been made five years either side, it would have been better sounding. "Boy in the Bubble" should be about that incredibly slinky bassline, not huge gated tom reverbs. I would love to hear simple, natural mixes that featured the music, not the production.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrokz
taking back sunday - louder now
NO POWER. the drums sound dead and flat. the guitars sound thin and weak. the whole record sounds so boring. its like they made the cd lacking anything lower than 500Hz.

really?

i think this is the first time they have any power on their record.
The drums are actually well recorded, for a change.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjD
They could use 'name' producers to help with the marketing - imagine the Albini version of some dated sounding '80s album, like some of the overproduced metal bands from that era.

or the Andy Wallace remix of In Utero?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman
ps. I did do three mixes for Born In The USA back at the time, and I can tell you that Bob did an AMAZING job on that record.

Just muting the vocal tracks would be a huge improvement IMHO.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondjames
Strap it on, also.

Do we mean 'remix' or 'mix again'?
Very different things.

I'd really like to mix 'Suicide Pact You First' from 'Therapy?' again.
I'd love to remix "Worlds Apart" from 'And you will know us by the trail of dead'.

JR
Hmmmmm, Strap It On is such a great album, I love it the way it is actually, it makes it very special. But songs like Sinatra would be killers with a bit more of "today's sound", that's a fact.

I actually got to talk and have dinner with Mr Page Hamilton and the rest of the band when they were in Brussels for their Aftertaste tour and he was simply all what I expected him to be: amazingly clever and very nice. It was great to get to talk with him... Wish it lasted more than an evening! BTW this guy is a clear Gearslut when it comes to his guitar rig...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
King's X "Faith Hope Love" and "King's X"... Get rid of the sterile separation, add bottom end, turn up the drums, get more natural drum tone, turn up the bass get more room sound in there! Dogman-ize it a little!

That's all really
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
call me crazy, but i have a feeling that (if it takes off) a lot of 80's records will be named in this thread.

rem - green (too distant and small)

soundgarden - badmotorfinger (too processed and flat)

jane's addicition - nothing's shocking (WAY too much verb and bad compression)

doves - lost souls (all of the above)

i could start a whole different thread on mastering

gregoire
del ubik
Heh... 80's album here:

The first RHCP album... the gating on the kick has always bugged the LIVING CRAP out of me... it's like every kick beat is just behind where it should be. It makes me INSANE.

Insaner...
📝 Reply