Quantcast
Voice generator software - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Voice generator software
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Voice generator software

I seem to remember having a program in an early version of OS9 where you typed in something and it generated a female voice speaking it with a wierd robot voice. Anyone remeber this program? And does it exist today for OSX?
Old 15th May 2006
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
try this:
http://public.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php
Old 15th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Thanx!

thumbsup
Attached Files
File Type: aif thank you simon v.aif (47.0 KB, 806 views)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
OS X has Speech Recognition and also Text-to-Speech, which is what you're thinking of.

Go to system preferences, and under 'System' there's an icon that says "speech" and has a picture of a microphone.

Then click Text-to-Speech and you can type whatever text you want spoken. I think there are twenty three voices, including the Radiohead "OK Computer" one. I think that one's "Fred".

It's funny to get stoned and feed it Snoop Dogg lyrics, or pr0n stuff. Also, since it pronounces in English, it's funny to feed it other languages and listen to it mispronounce stuff. To this day, my friends and I can't get over the way it says "pinche puta", especially when you have "Agnes" speak it.

If you have OS X and you haven't discovered this, I hope you didn't have anything else to do today.

There's also a voiceover utility under "Universal Access" in the System Preferences pane.

From there you can open the "Voiceover Utility" which allows you to tell it how to do all kinds of stuff, and you can give it translations, for example, if the text-to-speech robot encounters the text: " : ) " you can have it say "smiley". If it encounters the letters "SMPTE" you can tell it to say "simp tee". It's pretty flexible.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
There was text-to-speech software that came with either my first or second Soundblaster, back around '90 or so... I was gigging back then and used to call all the regulars before a gig -- often 20 or 30 numbers.

I hit on the idea of creating a dBase program that would autodial my friends and 'talk to them' about the gig... (I couldn't figure out how to have it wait for the beep on answering machines so I still had to hit the 'play' button.)

I got a number of callbacks from people saying things like: "Uh... did you have some kind of robot call me... I couldn't make out a word it was saying on my answering machine but I figured it had to be you..."

I went back to the 'human touch' after that.

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I figure intelligibility would be greatly improved with digital outputs. I think I have to get toslink to coax conversion box for my G5 for that reason alone.
Old 16th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
OS X has Speech Recognition and also Text-to-Speech, which is what you're thinking of. Go to system preferences, and under 'System' there's an icon that says "speech" and has a picture of a microphone.
Aaah, there it is!

Thanx
Old 16th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
another way to make your make speak..

open text edit (applications folder). type something. go to the EDIT menu, then, speech then hit "start speaking" it uses the default voice set in the system prefs.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…