Quantcast
The LIme Spiders - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The LIme Spiders
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The LIme Spiders

Do any of you Australian gearslutz remember a band called the lime spiders? My band played shows with them back in the late 80's. I got their record, sure would like to know what they are up to. Peace.
Old 15th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeah, I lived in a share house when I moved to Sydney in 1998 and one of my housemates was the singer Mick Blood. The Spiders were doing the odd gig here and there around that time, but on a night out in April that year, Mick's leg was run over by a truck during a moment of misadventure. He was in Hospital for a month or so, and had operations to repair the nerve damage, but the injury was too severe, and he lost a lot of mobility in that leg. The last I heard he was living in Perth.
Old 15th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Flail, hope you've got your passport organised.

And a few pairs o' clean undies....

Lime Spiders' only gig this year???
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubthumper

I wish I could man. Even before I saw them play I bought "The Cave Comes Alive" because it was the record they were supporting at the time. What a complete difference that record was to seeing them. The record was so polished and nice. They are really good players but there live stuff is definitely raw, reckless and pure, full on rock.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Wow,there's a blast from the past!!

I used to shoot a show on MTV in the 80's called "The Cutting Edge"..
We took a very hungover Lime Spiders to the Hollywood Cemetary and had them perform songs in a tree..fun stuff!
they were cool bandthumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sydney has been the breeding ground of many awesome rock acts. In the Seventies a band called Radio Birdman hit with an album called "Radios Appear". Radio Birdman were heavily influenced by Detroit bands the MC5 and The Stooges. Sydney's scene then exploded with bands of a similar vein - i.e. sonic attack.

I've had a sleep or two since then but some of the bands with this general sound that I can recall were The Eastern Dark, The Scientists, The HardOns, The Hitmen, The Screaming Tribesmen, The 31st.... um..... ummm....
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Do you guys Remember "THE CELIBATE RIFLES"?
or Velvet Hammer?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Ah the Annadale- my ex-singer now is the band booker for that venue.
Mothership Music, I think is the company name.

Lime Spiders rock. Cave comes Alive was an important abum for me.

Anyone remember the Trilobites? F u c k = L o v e !!!

JR
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Sydney has been the breeding ground of many awesome rock acts. In the Seventies a band called Radio Birdman hit with an album called "Radios Appear". Radio Birdman were heavily influenced by Detroit bands the MC5 and The Stooges. Sydney's scene then exploded with bands of a similar vein - i.e. sonic attack.

I've had a sleep or two since then but some of the bands with this general sound that I can recall were The Eastern Dark, The Scientists, The HardOns, The Hitmen, The Screaming Tribesmen, The 31st.... um..... ummm....
Aloha Steve and Danno!

This is my youth.

Remember Box The Jesuit?
After Goose died Susie rejoined up with Adrielle Spence from Massappeal in Pleasure Ground, that I joined for a while.
They were headcases though- really weird mix of people.

I was gigging in Sydney in the late 80's through to the 90's, in a bunch of bands.
Deep Dish Action, Dervishes, Pleasure Ground, Lotus Throne.
Was in Blitz Babiez for a very short time.

I've got one for ya- Vanilla Chainsaws.

Or... Christ Art Museum. These guys were the Australian Tool- very cool band.

JR
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
You're taking me back to 16 years old... lime spiders' "slave girl" was insane, and the feel of that song still inspires me today. Just raw.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge
Yeah, the Rifles were a pretty cool surf band. I've got a few surf videos featuring their songs. They released a cd about a year ago too. Damien Lovelock has a slot on the SBS soccer show these days, it's the coolest part of the show too!
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Triffids.

David McComb is a hell of a songwriter.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wow. All these Aussie bands I've never heard of. I am writing them down. Gonna try to find a few to hear. This sort of turned into a "Aussie post punk blast from the past". Cool.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Glad you like- other bands worth mentioning then...

Lubricated Goat
Monroes Fur
Massappeal
Mark of Cain (Amazing band)
Vicious Hairy Mary
The Plunderers (RIP)
Louis Tillet and the Aspersion Caste
Nunchuka Superfly
Old 16th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If the Detroit rock thing floats your boat, then The New Christs are worth checking out... a spin-off from Radio Birdman. I saw them live with the drummer from the MC5, Deniz Tek, Rob Younger, one of the Asheton boys from the Stooges.... I don't think I'd ever heard driving rock like that before, probably not since. Not heavy like say Black Sabbath, just full-on sonic attack.

Sydney was the Detroit of the South for many years. Key record labels were Citadel, Phantom, Waterfront.

My vote for greatest Australian album of all time?? Hmm, dunno, maybe Died Pretty's "Doughboy Hollow", maybe Go Between's "Before Hollywood", maybe Powderfinger's "Odyssey No. 5"... ****, there's lots of contenders really.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondjames

I've got one for ya- Vanilla Chainsaws.

JR
Hmm. OK.... I think I knew one or two of the members.... any chicks in the band???
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
My vote for greatest Australian album of all time?? Hmm, dunno, maybe Died Pretty's "Doughboy Hollow", maybe Go Between's "Before Hollywood", maybe Powderfinger's "Odyssey No. 5"... ****, there's lots of contenders really.
I love Died Pretty.

Does anyone like The Jackson Code or The Blackeyed Susans?
Tex, Don, and Charlie?
Old 10th May 2011 | Show parent
Old 10th May 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Anyone who digs power-pop should check out The Someloves. Amazing WA band from the 80's featuring Dom Mariani of The Stems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm3DV2eDjV0

Cheers,

Darren
Old 12th May 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge ➑️
or Velvet Hammer?
Dusting off this old thread ... And Hunter. Yes. The "Rifles" are around (all a bit more grown up with kids) but they do gigs occasionally when the time is right. They still have got it and literally Blow Younger Bands away when they play. Decent guys too. Lotta love for Kent (Guitarist).

I played drums (83'-85') in a Swamp/Thrash/Punk band called "RAGADOLL" .. A Real Wild, Crazy Ride .. We shared stages with The Celibate Rifles, The Lime Spiders, The Scientists, The Johnny's, The Lipstick Killers, and other bands in this scene. We Toured with The Birthday Party & The Gun Club (Jeffrey Lee Pierce was a trip) and supported The Dead Kennedy's, Cramps, The Fall & Violent Femmes .. Drinking & Heavy Pharmacology finished our band off like many others ...

Even though this thread is a bit old I'm surprised at the love from US folks for some of the bands of this era. There were some incredibly under-rated and over-looked bands during this time .. I hope more people post with their experiences ..
Old 19th May 2011
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by flail19 ➑️
Do any of you Australian gearslutz remember a band called the lime spiders? My band played shows with them back in the late 80's. I got their record, sure would like to know what they are up to. Peace.
I had a very nice green t-shirt with their name / logo on it..

I think I saw them play the Borderline in London, UK. in the late 80's early 90's.. It was good to see Oz / Kiwi / US bands there - they always seemed to have their onstage gear / sound together so much better than most of the Brit bands..
Old 20th May 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Good choice flail, haven;t heard that tune in years. Surprisingly good drum sound - anyone have any details on the recording?
Old 21st May 2011 | Show parent
Led
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Lime Spiders are playing at a benefit gig at my local tonight - Espy Hotel, St Kilda.
Old 15th June 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I kinda have a much more personal affinity with them, or at least my dad does.. The L.S. that is.

Old 15th June 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

10 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I had a girlfriend from Melbourne that gave me a tape by a band named Supergrass (not the blokes from the UK) - I think Dave from Bored! recorded them... have been trying hard to get a less worn version of these recordings... if anybody has that tape or maybe even a CD...?

And there's a lime spiders tape in my car, b side Hoodoo Gurus.. with some Cosmic Psychos... and a CD on my desk.. Pollyanna - one of my fav bands ever.
Old 16th June 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptheoctave ➑️
Glad you like- other bands worth mentioning then...

Lubricated Goat

Massappeal

Nunchuka Superfly
These are three of the greatest Australian bands I've ever heard.

The Hard Ons are probably my favourite Aussie band.

I never really got into the Lime Spiders though.
Old 16th June 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Great thread this! What an excellent time in aussie underground music the early 80's were..love the spiders, rifles, dies pretty, triffads...don't forget the exploding white mice.
Old 17th June 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Man..... you should have seen Doug Parkinson (In focus/Fanny Adams) & Kevin Borich Express, plus TMG band go off at the Manzil Room, even up to the 90's & Baby Animals - Seriously sad that the actual reality of FAME & PUBLIC has put many 90- 2005-10 bands to bed .... they just don't want it, Tv, radio, press, the intrusion .... the 360 deal is mantra for Delta, though hey? blow an album and you can alway be a public figure and judge a reality (Talent) show these days....?
JMHO
TLB - (Wow - Good times though!)
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…