Quantcast
Whistley eSSSSSSSSes!!! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Whistley eSSSSSSSSes!!!
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Whistley eSSSSSSSSes!!!

Did some hunting around here and found many suggestions for outboard de-essers, of course, lots of people suggesting the dbx 902.

I have a track with a female singer who has sssssuper duper whistly esses (never quite heard it this extreme). Waves R-DeEsser and Digi's Dynamic III DeEssers are okay, but this one needs some special handling.

Do people who know the 902 think it excels in cutting, high whistley esses as well as it's traditionally strong DeEssing?
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I always de-ess by hand. In PT, I audiosuite - gain the offending 's' by attenuating 4-6db sometimes if they whistle I'll use a LP filter that has a gain output control for both filtering and gain.
Old 14th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Thanks, I'll try that again, maybe I need a more surgical scrubbing before zapping the essess, but it came out very unmusical, although a lot of people seem to like this approach. Maybe I just need to get better at it.

Ever try the 902?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I personnally never found an occasion where the 902 didn't work. When the plugins don't work, the 902 do. Sometimes, 2 de-essers with different frequencies might be the cure for major sibilances, but use moderately and never while tracking vocals.tutt
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have used the 902 as well as many other hardware and software de-essers. While they usually work to get rid of the offending 's', I don't like what they do to the rest of track.

Another technique I've used is to place the 902 on an output and print back the de-essed track to a new track and just place in the 's' from the 902 track. I've done this with PT and with an analog desk via mute automation.

While this works well, I prefer my above method.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
902's rock for de-essing..

ITB though, volume automation is your friend.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Incredible
Thanks, I'll try that again, maybe I need a more surgical scrubbing before zapping the essess, but it came out very unmusical, although a lot of people seem to like this approach. Maybe I just need to get better at it.

Ever try the 902?
Sometimes it can sound strange if you're compressing a lot in the mix. You'll have to spend a little time to see what works for you, but a lot of times once you find it you can paste away and get it together quickly.
Old 15th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Thanks as always for the replies. Going to rent a 902 this week and give it a whirl.

Old 15th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I prefer the audiosuite method as well, WIth someone that has a whistle or a chirp you can figure out the offending frequency and use an eq plug to tame it & also do some overall attenuation.
Old 18th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Tried y'all's method of audio-suite-ing, and figured I'd post back since it's actually been very effective.

Still going to rent the 902 for this song for fun, but I was surprised. Normally r-de-esser and automation is fine, but whacking the controlled region really came through for this level of whistle singing.

Thanks gang.
πŸ“ Reply