Quantcast
Why the difference? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why the difference?
Old 13th May 2006
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Why the difference?

So I was thinking a couple days ago...Why is HD TV getting so popular? To me, its higher quality, perfect viewing picture and great colouring etc....but I sit at home watching my CRT TV and don't moan about the picture on that. But along with that, I thought: why are people striving to get better and better picture quality everyday and yet the sound quality is decreasing by the second with mp3s and such like. People don't seem to even consider that when they download the track from iTunes, the quality is very very different to that they would have got from a CD.

Basically, I'm looking at human evolution. Why have we evolved to notice and appreciated more visual quality than sound quality? When the brain is so complex in processing any sound it receives, as looked at by psychoacoustics, it seems that we care more about what we see, and all this extra information we gather from sound is just chucked away with 96 kbps mp3 files!

Thought this was an interesting topic to debate, especially seeing as we're all in/wanting to be in the business of making the highest quality music possible!

Rob
Old 13th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm with you on this one. My theory is that the majority of consumers jump on the band wagon with any new product that comes out just because the corporations are pushing their new toy. It's sad to watch. When they start pushing hi-def audio watch all the lemmings run to get the latest trend.
Old 14th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
lol u guys should give consumers a lil more credit. I think it has more to do with the fact that people cant really hear the major differences between a high quality mp3 (oxymoron i know but i mean the best mp3s) and the cd version. they know its not as good as the cd but for free most people will take it and live with it and have grown accustomed to it. Also a lot of people prefer older audio formats especially when it comes to vinyl records which in my opinion sound better than any digital format out there. Tho I use the digital realm myself I do feel that the older systems are superior in sound and I feel that digital is really only better for musicians, engineers and techies.
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I agree that people will pretty much take what they can get for free... But don't forget also, the age old rule that good music will shine through pretty much any sound quality degradation.. A good tune is a good tune, on mp3, tape, vinyl whatever... Kinda funny to think of all the time people spend on shootouts between preamps, compressors, converters, etc... I guess what we do is sort of like icing on the cake of an already "delicious" song. heh heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
thats a good way to think about it. in the end tho a good song is a good song regardless of how high end the quality is. u can get good quality and make a crazy song for under $1000 and can get more fans and make better music than the guy with lil or no skill and the hd rig

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
mp3 is a transitional format.
just like redbook cd
it's produced marketed sold milked- done.
...next

bitstream?
I hope so but nobody thinks so
still it is not our descision to make
nor is it the consumers'
although mp3 was born out of a "pirate" necessity
which is not really valid anymore
as diskspace/flashram is soon to boom to unpreceded size

I'm ready for the next round
we've had (in my lifetime) stereo (lp) ease of use (CD) portabillity (cassette) small size (mp3) sooooo is quality next?
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I don't know, but do you think that it has something to do with the fact that most people don't actively listen to music anymore? Its background for other activies like driving, working around the house, doing homework, etc. Used to be you put a record on and actually listened to it. I don't think its so much like that anymore. If you don't pay attention, you don't hear the differences, so you can't appreciate them either.

For the most part tv requires your full attention so you notice and appreciate the difference between regular and hdtv.

(and i'm not talking about the people on these boards - i know you all actively listen to music :P )
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
HD sounds better!

heh
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Bryan,

> ever watched/heard a couple hours of Discovery HD Theatre, on a 56" DLP with a good surround system? <

Bingo!

My 65" Mitsubishi RPTV and fabulous 5.1 surround system give me many hours of enjoyment every week. Besides HD Discovery Theater which is indeed amazing, a lot of other stuff is now HD with surround sound. Even old Law & Order reruns are HD/5.1, and the improvement over "regular TV" is very significant IMO.

--Ethan
Old 14th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_h

Basically, I'm looking at human evolution. Why have we evolved to notice and appreciated more visual quality than sound quality?
You're way overthinking this.

It's because, at least in the United States,

TV is EVERYTHING!

Americans are addicted to TV and if it has something to do with TV America will buy it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Oh, yeah, one other thing...

Most expensive high-tech purchases are made by men.

A husband/father spending big bucks on a high-end hi-fi system would be considered 'selfish'.

But if it something like an HDTV which can be seen as benefitting the whole family, it might actually be considered 'generous'.

Never mind that I think kids should be listening to Mozart on Quad ESL's from the day they're born and they shouldn't even know what TV is until college.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
You're way overthinking this.

It's because, at least in the United States,

TV is EVERYTHING!

Americans are addicted to TV and if it has something to do with TV America will buy it.
very true
Old 15th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
All US basd broadcasters will be mandated to broadcast in HD only in the next few years (2009?). There will be no more low def TV.

Why is hi def being made mandatory? Are consumers being short changed watching Dr. Phil in regular old low def?

My 2 cents, it is the hardware manufacturers that are influencing the government to institute new standards that no one needs, but will be a treasure chest for the manufacturers.

Regular old sets cannot play the high def stream, so external converter boxes will be needed. The government is already comtemplating a tax credit scheme so that low income earnings can afford the converters.

All this so Judge Judy will appear more life like.

-I received this info at a Sony Vegas DV presentation.
Old 15th May 2006
Kush Audio

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_h
Basically, I'm looking at human evolution. Why have we evolved to notice and appreciated more visual quality than sound quality?

because the tools and means of survival have changed. it is no longer necessary for us to hear the predator sneaking up on us in the savannah, nor smell it coming.

income is how you survive now, and most jobs require some degree, maybe a large degree, of visual acuity. face recognition, driving safely, noticing qc, these are vital job and life skills. and we are bombarded with imagery far more than sound, usually in an attempt to grab our attention and trigger emotions, so the imagery is getting more and more sophisticated and effective.

the ability to see and discern visually bodes a lot better for income and safety than does the ability to hear and discern critically.

just a theory.

gregoire
del ubik
πŸ“ Reply