Quantcast
Is the DAV BG-1 the "best bang" pre under $1000?? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is the DAV BG-1 the "best bang" pre under $1000??
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Is the DAV BG-1 the "best bang" pre under $1000??

$700 for two channels & GLOWING reviews, this baby seems to be the best bang for the buck out there under or close to 1k. I have done my research and nothing seems to compare at this price point or am I missing something?? Are there any negatives to this unit for what it offers? I'm a lookin and I'm a likin

heh

Last edited by tdm71; 12th May 2006 at 01:26 AM..
Old 12th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yes its a great unit. You should be very happy with it. I haven't really heard any negatives around this forum at least. If there are any, I'd like to hear them and why you feel the BG-1 isn't an awesome pre (that extends to 50kHz!!)..

J.D.
Old 12th May 2006
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
THANKS any other comments?
Old 12th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
only positive here!

regards,

richie.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There is some competition on the horizon. That's all I can say for now.

Maybe after AES Europe I can say more.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey Lynn...

Whatever happened to the ADK preamp that was being developed? (Actually.... Come to think of it, is this what you're referring to?)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9
Hey Lynn...

Whatever happened to the ADK preamp that was being developed? (Actually.... Come to think of it, is this what you're referring to?)
Not what I'm referring to, and I don't have any idea what the price is for those.

It's out. I've been seeing ads and just got a note from Larry Villella (owner of ADK) a few weeks ago. I've not heard it or spoken to anyone who has. Cool concept though.

Here's a picture that Larry sent me. So far, I think they offer 5 preamps and 5 transformers. Each interchangeable in the same unit. That means lots of options.
Attached Thumbnails
Is the DAV BG-1 the "best bang" pre under 00??-adk-ap-1.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Actually, I just can't discuss specifics, but the Wes Dooley preamp that was designed by Fred Forssell to be used with ribbon mics will be shown at AES Europe next week.

I can't get into more specifics than I've already revealed at my site after AES '05.
See item 23 in this post:

http://www.3daudioinc.com/3db/showpo...1&postcount=33

It will be in the $800 price range for a stereo unit. In my preliminary tests, it sounds very good. I'll know more when I get one that I can hang onto longer.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
DAV is fantastic. a search will show you how much they are loved here.

Post this in the remote /location forum..many users there.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Didn't Dave Gilmour buy a load of these?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosticks
Didn't Dave Gilmour buy a load of these?

yep. Mark Knopfler too.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd like to hear the BG-1 against a ULN-2, which also gives you 2 A/D and 4 D/A for under a grand.

The ULN-2 is such a fast preamp that it took me all but about 10 seconds of recording to realize my Earthworks TC30k's + ULN-2 was not gonna happen. (There is such a thing as too much transient response)

I think when yer talking "bang for buck", the ULN-2 might have the edge thanks to the addition of (very GOOD) converters, sends/returns, extra outs, etc. And while it requires a Mac for firewire operation, it can work in standalone mode, and you could set up every posssible routing config on a friend's Mac with the MIO Console.app and save them to the 10 "snapshot" buttons.
mds
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
DAV pre is great. I've yet to run into something I didn't like about it. It is a clean pre with a little extra fat, but not a colored pre by any means. Super smooth and detailed. I love it.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
When are you guys going to get your heads cut in?
I mean REALLY. . .

Stop talking out of your ass where you say DAV is good for the price.

DAV Electronics mic amps are the best mic amps in the world--regardless of price.

If you don't have the DECCA knowledge, you CAN'T beat the DECCA sound.
Other designers must realize that by now.

All I can sincerely say is that if you don't listen to DAV, you haven't lived!
Old 13th May 2006 | Show parent
mds
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hahaha...woah...hahaha... :D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Get em Plush!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush
When are you guys going to get your heads cut in?
I mean REALLY. . .

Stop talking out of your ass where you say DAV is good for the price.

DAV Electronics mic amps are the best mic amps in the world--regardless of price.

If you don't have the DECCA knowledge, you CAN'T beat the DECCA sound.
Other designers must realize that by now.

All I can sincerely say is that if you don't listen to DAV, you haven't lived!
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
How does the BG-1 stack over lots of tracks?
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sears
How does the BG-1 stack over lots of tracks?
Yeah...What he said!
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Stacked??

WHAT??

You are in charge of the "stacking" of tracks.
Besides, what you ask about is a fallacy!

SO. . .you control how you stack and the airiness or density thereof.

The machine does not control you----YOU control the machine.

How does it stack? It stacks as YOU require.

besides, I'd rather spend time with she who is stacked than a piece of gear.
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I do pretty good stacking with my Mackies. I thought my question was clear.

You're from Chicago, Plush: would you prefer to stack BG-1 or Sytek tracks and why? Do you have any other preamps you can compare in this regard? How would you describe the overall flavor of a lot of tracks?

Sixteen tracks of Mackie starts to show a little ghostliness, especially the percussion. This thread interests me because the BG-1 is one upgrade I'm considering. I hope I have made myself clearer.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ward Beck The M460B

I have a Ward Beck M460B stereo channel strip with EQ which cost me @ $800 shipped from Dave Thomas. This pre is colored, but I think it sounds great. I have done some direct comparisons with a Manley 2 channel tube pre / and an older Trident pre ( which all sounded quite different from each other) and I prefered the Ward Beck. This is a great pre for under $1,000.00 - just not new and if you are looking for uncolored this is not the one.
Cheers,
Bhang
Old 14th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
This is almost funny.
Again, and again is the dav pre good..
Why is it so many times that people ask and ask anew, regardless of all the posts and threads about how great the dav pres are?

Is it because they are not expensive?

And i also agree with Plush, whats with the 'bang for the buck' bull?

-Have you heard this pre/ have you heard pricier pres? Then, surely you d hear its a great pre, not 'for the buck'...
If you ve used it, you know its not built for 'bucks', its built for resolution, definition, width and depth.
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The BG1 is toooooooo good! Best Β£500 i've ever spent, second place comes EH 12ay7 with cryo treated GEC's for Β£190! Sounds so gorgeous. These are my best bargains ever!
Old 22nd May 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
i want it!

little help please... trying to decide between the great river me1nv, or the dav BG1. i have About $1000.00 to spend and have herd great things about the great river. but if i can get two quality pres for the price of 1. that would be good. just wana know if it stacks up. my set up is digi 002 rack, mac pro, rme adi2, focusrite octopre, mojave ma-200,. just to let you know, this is my first post, i have done nothing but read all these post for the last two years and have learned so much. so on behalf of all us NOOBS. THANK YOU! heh
Old 12th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The DAV preamps are a class act in everyway.

I feel so happy about plugging microphones into them on location, I know it's going to give those mics a chance to show what they can do and not rob them of any of their quality.

We have lots of DAV channels here.............but not enough!!
PDC
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobilmente ➑️
The DAV preamps are a class act in everyway.

I feel so happy about plugging microphones into them on location, I know it's going to give those mics a chance to show what they can do and not rob them of any of their quality.

We have lots of DAV channels here.............but not enough!!
Didn't someone look under the hood and discover that there isn't much diff between dav and Behringer? Trying to find the post.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➑️
Plenty of used ones on the market now. Seems for those folks the thrill is gone.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
That is a tad unfair. There's a lot of people bought them for their home set up who ,after a couple of years decided recordings not for them. Plus, there are a whole welter of people who think , because of the price, as they move up the food chain they *ought to buy something more expensive*, irrelevant of whether it is actually 1 suitable and 2 actually any better..

Then, there are a hell of a lot of people who sell the small form version to buy the rack mount one, simply because it looks the dogs danglies...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Jim Williams has been on a crusade against Mick and his products since they came out... pay no attention to him. I suspect part of this crusade is inspired by his desire to do his modifications..like most everything else he posts.cant blame him really, all have something to sell.

or the dunce that says "not much difference between them and behringer"

.. heh

Mick was a design engineer at Decca for many, many years. That says enough right there.

that isnt to say that everyone will like it..but if you cannot get an amazing recording out of DAV amps, it isnt the amps that are to blame...
Lives for gear

Check out the BLA Auteur! Never had a BG-1 so I can't really speak about that but I love my BLA Auteur.....total bang for the buck!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC ➑️
Didn't someone look under the hood and discover that there isn't much diff between dav and Behringer? Trying to find the post.

noone said any such thing...the post was that they used the same op-amps..what youve done is taken a statement and distorted it to fit your own agenda.
πŸ“ Reply