Quantcast
Is the DAV BG-1 the "best bang" pre under $1000?? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is the DAV BG-1 the "best bang" pre under $1000??
Old 12th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
i really enjoy this pre - plus Mick is a stellar guy, who's always on the end of the telephone if you need him. well, within reason of course!

I'm using the BG9 which has one microphone input and a d.i. Both channels are really everything I need for my smaller setup. no, it doesn't sound like a pre at 4 times the price, just different which isn't a bad thing at all. I use it along side old altec's, ampex, and akai pre's to get a cleaner picture. Plus it's fantastic for vocals. I use a friends BG2 on a stereo pair for choir with very good results too.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams ➑️
What's unfair? You can save some $ buying used, I aways say that. It's what I do if I can.

The fact that there are plenty available says that there are plenty available.

I don't believe they are for sale because the sellers love them so much, otherwise why would they go up for sale?

I see the same thing over and over for new pieces that create a buzz, then they shake out over time.

Audio fashion at work. Nothing new.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
But then, how many Great River, chandler, API pres are out for sale?? Aren't they good??

There are selling 2nd hand cuz they are a lot out there...
My0,02
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Plenty of used ones on the market now. Seems for those folks the thrill is gone.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Well, sadly I didn't find any of these in ebay.
I'm looking for two channels under $1000 for a fellow. Has anyone compared the BG-1 with a RNP?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio ➑️
Well, sadly I didn't find any of these in ebay.
I'm looking for two channels under $1000 for a fellow. Has anyone compared the BG-1 with a RNP?

ah yeah...

RNP==grainy, 2d, harsh.... sounds like a toy in comparison. the RNC(compressor) works well though
Old 13th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Plenty of used ones on the market now. Seems for those folks the thrill is gone.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades

Hi Jim

You'll have to tell me which market, I'm always on the look out but never see any.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC ➑️
Didn't someone look under the hood and discover that there isn't much diff between dav and Behringer? Trying to find the post.

Go for it, if you're happy with the Behringer, the world's your oyster. I haven't tried a Behringer, but I do hope you get on with it ok, but here we like the DAV gear, and that's in comparison with Neve etc.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Ray ➑️
ah yeah...

RNP==grainy, 2d, harsh.... sounds like a toy in comparison. the RNC(compressor) works well though
Although I can't compare it to a DAV, the RNP does NOT sound harsh... unless you a) clip it, or b) use the wrong mic.

With the right mic, in the right room, an RNP can sound almost as good as anything out there.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakespearesmans ➑️
Although I can't compare it to a DAV, the RNP does NOT sound harsh... unless you a) clip it, or b) use the wrong mic.

With the right mic, in the right room, an RNP can sound almost as good as anything out there.

How are you going to tell me what I did or did not hear? heh
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hey its possible you did, but Teddy, don't use a Rode NT1 next time, ok?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For those who have tried DAV and BLA auteur, do you think they complement well each other??

From what I've read, DAV is way claener, but you guys think both will cohabite well in a mix?? Are DAV way better, or they can compete in Q??

Thanks

Last edited by claend; 13th June 2009 at 07:14 PM.. Reason: misssssspelling ;)
PDC
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobilmente ➑️
Go for it, if you're happy with the Behringer, the world's your oyster. I haven't tried a Behringer, but I do hope you get on with it ok, but here we like the DAV gear, and that's in comparison with Neve etc.
You have it all wrong dude. I don't use either one. I don't intend to. I didn't even state it as a fact. But more of a question.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDC ➑️
You have it all wrong dude. I don't use either one. I don't intend to. I didn't even state it as a fact. But more of a question.

You're welcome.

I just think that looking at a circuit board of similar components just misses the point though.

Schubert used the same notes as Ravel, but got a different outcome.
PDC
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Well, Behringer used the same components and circuits as dbx, Mackie, QSC and others at they came up with the same thing including lawsuits and large settlements.
Old 14th June 2009 | Show parent
mds
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
DAVs are really nice sounding units, as I've said before on these forums. Very clean, smooth, and professional sounding. Always have a refined sound to them, which can be really nice, especially on acoustic instruments. The don't have a lot of bite, or edge, but they sound pretty good on just about anything.

The idea that Behringer is comparable is laughable...

Jim Williams always pops in to complain about this preamps, and his criticisms are certainly his to make, but don't let one guys opinion (even mine) effect you too much. These sound really good in a variety of situations, and are affordable...

Mike
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mds ➑️
DAVs are really nice sounding units, as I've said before on these forums. Very clean, smooth, and professional sounding. Always have a refined sound to them, which can be really nice, especially on acoustic instruments. The don't have a lot of bite, or edge, but they sound pretty good on just about anything.

The idea that Behringer is comparable is laughable...

Jim Williams always pops in to complain about this preamps, and his criticisms are certainly his to make, but don't let one guys opinion (even mine) effect you too much. These sound really good in a variety of situations, and are affordable...

Mike

mike, you oughtta make a thread with the clips from the BG....those sounded amazing.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I may have had some issues with them, but I did post all the mods you or someone else can do to improve them. It's not my style to knock something without offering an alternative. I didn't do that to drum up biz as I'm not interested in modifing them myself, that's why I gave away the mods.

Another cost effective alternative is the SCA T-15 kit for $79.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
unfortunately, this thread isn't about your mods, Jim, or the SCA kit. There are hundreds(I believe Mick said his numbers were approaching the thousands actually) of us who love the sound and see no need for any modification. Mick has been designing for a very, very long time..Dare I say as long or longer than you have...and as such I feel comfortable with his ears and ability to select the components that go into our amps.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
As mentioned by knowledgeable posters here, the d.a.v. electronics Broadhurst Gardens mic amp range was designed in house by Mick Hinton at Decca. Decca used the design to make excellent recordings.

Folks---the BG gear has already been qualified by top top pros.

With his latest outburst, I now discount everything Jim Williams says. He consistently shows that he is super biased and promotes only his own agenda. His words on the BG range are laughable---a total red herring! Many BG for sale????---so what?---there are many Ferraris for sale too.

I recently had Mick Hinton work on my two Neumann M50 microphones. These rare mics were calibrated and cleaned and some minor things repaired by him and he did fantastic work on them. Does a knowledgeable pro turn over his priceless mics to a stooge? The answer is no. I only turn them over to a total recording and technical pro.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Nonsense.
mds
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Haha, classic gearslutz...Jim, I do appreciate your comments and agree that Plush gets a little over the top with his pro-DAV stuff...we're all a little passionate about our gear, haha!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Haha, classic gearslutz...Jim, I do appreciate your comments and agree that Plush gets a little over the top with his pro-DAV stuff...we're all a little passionate about our gear, haha!!

The thing is that Plush does the business.
Old 15th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Old 22nd June 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I really want to grab one of these, but it seems the d.a.v. site isn't working. Does anyone have any other routes to ordering one?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobilmente ➑️
The thing is that Plush does the business.
No-one is calling that into question.

However, one could make a case that eloquent discursive finesse isn't exactly his forte!
GS Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by doliver ➑️
I really want to grab one of these, but it seems the d.a.v. site isn't working. Does anyone have any other routes to ordering one?
Hmm, so it isn't, hopefully a temporary problem. E-mail [email protected] ... see what happens.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 ➑️
Hmm, so it isn't, hopefully a temporary problem. E-mail [email protected] ... see what happens.

Thanks for the address. I was doing so research on another site, and one user reported it as being quite noisy. I didn't hear any other complaints about it so I'm assuming that it has some defect, but has anyone else experienced these problems?
Old 23rd June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by doliver ➑️
Thanks for the address. I was doing so research on another site, and one user reported it as being quite noisy. I didn't hear any other complaints about it so I'm assuming that it has some defect, but has anyone else experienced these problems?

that actually turned out to not be an issue with the amp, but another part of the signal path..the amps are completely quiet.
Old 23rd June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Well Mick has another happy user here... I just bought a DAV BG2 about a month ago and can't imagine living without it now. Its clean but not sterile; transparent yet polished. It seems to be able to add a sort of magic touch to everything it touches. I ordered one without ever hearing it in person... just from reading reviews here and elsewhere. When I need 4 or 8 more channels of AMAZING clean pre, this is exactly the place I will look: no need to spend more on a Millennia or Grace.
Old 25th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
The DAV BG-1 is an amazing piece of kit, extremly versatile, as good on vocals ang guitars as it is on bass drums and toms. I give this pre my full thumbs up, no modding needed, but like any pre you can mod them to the hilt with burr browns or better transformers, so what? these rule as they are. I have just ordered a DAV BG-6 stereo compressor to follow my BG-1, I am curious to see what it will be like as they are relatively new out. Anybody heard them? worth a try, golden age in sweden are doing a specail at the moment on them for €379!! I am there with bells on.......
Old 31st March 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
DAV pre is great. I've yet to run into something I didn't like about it. It is a clean pre with a little extra fat, but not a colored pre by any means. Super smooth and detailed. I love it.
+1 yes man.
Old 31st March 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I'm waiting for an interface that can easily handle the DAV BG-1 +4
signal and with thunderbolt I/O

The trouble with a great pre amp like the DAV BG-1 is the realization that
the rest of your gear is crap.

Eagerly awaiting Apogee and Metric Halo on a thunderbolt I/O
πŸ“ Reply